in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 184 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Blogger technical questions

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Blogger technical questions  (Read 2379 times)

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Blogger technical questions
« on: June 26, 2013, 03:15:19 PM »

I wondered if anyone could help me here...

I just set up my 4th blog last night, but I'm having inexplicable troubles with it.

Specifically, the "Navbar" at the top-- the thing with buttons like "Designs", "New Post", etc., is NOT coming up.  And for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get it to come up.

Looking around online, I ran across a reference to somethng called "Dynamic Views", that, if turned on, apparently gets in the way of the Navbar.  But I can't find that in the controls either.

Any ideas?
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Blogger technical questions
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 07:16:38 PM »

Would be helpful if you gave the address :)
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 12:21:14 AM »

FOUND the problem.  And it had NOTHING to do with Blogger!

I've been using a Firefox add-on, "No Script".  It's supposed to cut down on potentially dangerous crap on the internet.

There's these options when you go to a page, including "Temporarily allow all of this page" or "Allow all of this page", or, "Make allowances permanent".

I clicked on this... the NAVBAR came right up!  I've got it set to "permanent" allowances for that blog now.

Sheesh!
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 10:29:01 AM »

I tend to steer clear of add ins etc. The only ones I have are for development and they are all in Firefox. My main browser is Chrome I also have IE, Opera, and Safari. I use Safari as a "clean browser" delete all history etc so when I look at one of my sites I should see he same as any other first time visitor.

So as they are free I'd suggest putting on all the main browsers and checking what your site looks like in each of them. Quite often one shows things a bit differently and when you investigate you find it has bumped across something that you hadn't got quite right and the other browsers were correcting for you.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 01:01:13 PM »

I first became aware of and started using add-ins due to the Masterworks board.  Someone there suggested "Ad Blocker", as it was the ONLY way to stop repreated, incessant VIDEO ADS WITH SOUND playing every G**D*** time I'd try to go to their message board.

I also found "NoSquint", which allows me to adjust the width of each site I go to separately.  With the advent of "wisdescreen" monitors (which I DON'T have), every idiot on the planet is designing websites to look like CINEMASCOPE.

And in line with that (sort of), there's also "Image And Flash Blocker", which allows me to shut off all images (and turn them back on easily) which comes in handy at places like Masterworks, when people post images that are so big they make it impossible to read the messages.  (And someone at one of the boards asked, "Why are you posting links? Where are the images?"  Some people are real idiots...)

Nick Simon (who had the SILVER AGE MARVEL site... until it went down) also told me he always checked his websites on multiple browsers.  Then again, he also designed everything with dial-up in mind, since not everyone has hi-speed (YES, EVEN NOW, I know some people who don't!!!). This is one reason I try to limit the big images on my blog pages to 10, and have the default for how many pages come up when you click "Home" on the blog to 1.  So many people wil have "5" or "10", and sometimes, EVEN WITH hi-speed, it can take several minutes for some blogs to come up that way.  It just overloads your temporary memory, among other things.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:04:47 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 08:08:54 PM »

I have been making sites for quite a few years .... (think last century) so I have seen a lot of things change. Back in the day it was IE and various versions of it, and then Firefox. They all acted very differently ... then it died down a bit ... but now we have quite a few browsers but they all pretty much act the same. However, it is well worth checking with them and also as I said keep one "clean".

The main problem now is all the different devices.  (I just found summat on my iPhone that I need to sort out on CB+)  What does it look like on a tablet iPad/Galaxy or some other android device .. how fast does it load on one? etc etc And how do you check? It has not been unknown for a rather scruffy individual to go into mobile phone and computer shops and test his sites out. Staff are normally very helpful when you explain what you are doing. Developer tip of the day :)

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 10:31:36 PM »

My friend Paul (who've I've now done several commission pieces for) has described to me that he uses some kind of "mobile" computer thingie.  As a result, it's difficult for him sometimes to see exactly what something looks like (as I see it).

One minor thing I figured out was that, for whatever reason, the blog he uses (or perhaps it's only because he uses it via a mobile device), images automatically SHRINK to a certain size (373 pixels wide).

I took note of this, because it looked to me that the images posted were lower in quality than they should have been.  Paul was unable to notice any difference.  But I did.  Now, for several years, I had what I jokingly called an "el cheapo" website (Webspawner).  EVERY image would be automatically resized by the thing's automatic system.  And the only way to know what the image size would be would be to upload it, look at the page, then download the image back top myself and check the size.  I'd then have to use Photoshop to take a hi-res image and create a smaller version at the EXACT number of pixel width, to get it to come up at the site SHARP.

EVERY single image I posted at that site (and there were hundreds), I had to upload them 2 or 3 times before I'd get them right.  And I did this all with DIAL-UP!    :P

When I realized what was going on with Paul's blog, I made a point of generating 373 pixel wide versions JUST for the blog.  Sure enough, they came up SHARP!

He also likes me to send the hi-res versions, so he can crop the images and post close-ups of certain details.

It's nice to learn something after enough time...
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.