in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,806 books
 New: 184 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Quality Archive Collections Problem.

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Quality Archive Collections Problem.  (Read 5646 times)

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Quality Archive Collections Problem.
« on: June 23, 2008, 09:19:16 PM »

Over on the Yahoo groups working with a couple of partners I have been involved one way or another in putting together archive collections featuring verious Quality Comics Heroines.

The first of these featuring Miss. America can even now be found in the Quality Comics section and today saw the release of a similar collection featuring Wildfire which I hope will also be available here before too long.

Right now there are another two or three projects of this type 'in the works' and although at least one of them is still on the 'classified' list I CAN reveal that one subject for this treatment is going to be LADY LUCK.

But ( why does life always have to have 'buts'   :() there is a serious problem with the story from Smash Comics_065 " The Kidnapped Babies" as there seems to be at least three pages missing from the copy that we have.

So has ANYONE got any kind of replacements in ANY form, yes even FICHE !!

Also did this story appear anywhere else ( Newspaper suplement, IW /Kitchen Sink reprint) even in black and white ?

Grand Comics Database offers no leads on this story at all so any help  would be greatly apreciated.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Quality Archive Collections Problem.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 09:58:41 PM »

For what it's worth even tho' it's not a Quality Comics publication
I have a 1950 copy of a Fiction House/Flying Stories Inc. publisher titled 'Firehair' starring a redheaded heroine and is advertised as a Pioneer*West Romance if you would be interested in seeing it.
-Cheers

Over on the Yahoo groups working with a couple of partners I have been involved one way or another in putting together archive collections featuring verious Quality Comics Heroines.

The first of these featuring Miss. America can even now be found in the Quality Comics section and today saw the release of a similar collection featuring Wildfire which I hope will also be available here before too long.

Right now there are another two or three projects of this type 'in the works' and although at least one of them is still on the 'classified' list I CAN reveal that one subject for this treatment is going to be LADY LUCK.

But ( why does life always have to have 'buts'   :() there is a serious problem with the story from Smash Comics_065 " The Kidnapped Babies" as there seems to be at least three pages missing from the copy that we have.

So has ANYONE got any kind of replacements in ANY form, yes even FICHE !!

Also did this story appear anywhere else ( Newspaper suplement, IW /Kitchen Sink reprint) even in black and white ?

Grand Comics Database offers no leads on this story at all so any help  would be greatly apreciated.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 10:30:16 PM »

Checking over the Fiction House section it looks as though the original U.S. Editions of Firehair_001, 002, 006 and 009 have been accounted for but  it was Issues 003-006  that went out under the 'Pioneer West Romances' so you could have something there that we are missing and if so I'm sure we would all love to see it.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 03:10:39 AM »

<SNIP>

-Nigel

Thanks for providing this awesome work!  :D :D I'm thrilled that it has a portion of Smash #25 (the download site is missing Smash #24 and #25), so I'm content!  ;D ;D ;D

BTW, don't forget about Diana, The Huntress from the YellowJacket comics as a possible archives candidate -- she is one of my favorites!

Did anyone use USA from Feature Comics? I seem to have a memory of something available?  ;D

B. :) :) :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 03:14:23 AM by boox909 »
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 05:54:33 AM »

The issue number is 5 so this will be the next scan then. Prob be a few days. Takes some time to scan and I like to learn a little with each scan trying to better the process.
Need to learn this 'clone stamp' technique I reckin'.

Checking over the Fiction House section it looks as though the original U.S. Editions of Firehair_001, 002, 006 and 009 have been accounted for but  it was Issues 003-006  that went out under the 'Pioneer West Romances' so you could have something there that we are missing and if so I'm sure we would all love to see it.

-Nigel
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 05:57:46 AM by rez »
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 06:27:04 AM »

I DID Collect all of the USA Stories together a while back and even wrote an introduction with  the help of 'some guy' named Roy Thomas but somehow the project got sidelined.

I Think i'll have to dust those scans down sometime and pick up where I left off but right now both my collaborators are tied up, one with 'other' projects and the others about to embark on a europiean trip.

No doubt we'll get back to her before long.

as for Diana, are ALL her stories now scanned ?

-Nigel
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 02:40:37 PM »

I DID Collect all of the USA Stories together a while back and even wrote an introduction with  the help of 'some guy' named Roy Thomas but somehow the project got sidelined.

I Think i'll have to dust those scans down sometime and pick up where I left off but right now both my collaborators are tied up, one with 'other' projects and the others about to embark on a european trip.

No doubt we'll get back to her before long.

as for Diana, are ALL her stories now scanned ?

-Nigel

I do have the USA scans from Feature Comics! Wonderful stories!

As for Diana, I have her stories from YellowJacket #2 - #8, but I think she is in ten issues total...I have yet to locate the rest.

B.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 03:15:46 PM »

Please keep looking Box!
I love those Yellowjacket Comics!!
;D ;D

I'm sure USA will get her day in the sun one day down the road.
8)

Good news on the missing Quality front - OtherEric has turned up a number of needed books!  Things are looking up here.
:)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 01:24:06 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 12:35:11 AM »

<SNIP>

-Nigel

Thanks for providing this awesome work!  :D :D I'm thrilled that it has a portion of Smash #25 (the download site is missing Smash #24 and #25), so I'm content!  ;D ;D ;D

BTW, don't forget about Diana, The Huntress from the YellowJacket comics as a possible archives candidate -- she is one of my favorites!

Did anyone use USA from Feature Comics? I seem to have a memory of something available?  ;D

B. :) :) :)

Well l will have to rectify that, l will go fetch our two missing issues then, and look into the mystery of the missing pages from Smash Comics 65.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 07:19:23 AM »

l will upload a corrected version of Smash Comics 65 some time in the next few hours, but l believe the only pages that were needed were these ones.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 07:26:30 AM by aussie500 »
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 08:43:58 AM »

Great Work there on those Lady Luck pages Aussie.

Betty the lady helming the project is away from her PC now for a month on a european vacation but will no doubt be delighted to find these pages in her 'in box' when she returns.

As an extra surpise I might even prepare an introduction piece for her also, make a nice change to have a few weeks to work on it rather then HOURS  ::) !

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 09:50:26 AM »

l am not sure who did the scans, my source had no name attached, both comics are basically the same with the replaced 4 pages. l believe HenryPeters and Snard did the original so if no one can explain the extra 4 pages Yoc will probably put HP and Snard down as the scanners.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 09:52:18 AM by aussie500 »
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 12:24:50 PM »

My notes say HP also provided the missing cf scan -- Snard may have edited it.  HP usually has others edit his scans.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.