in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,841 books
 New: 99 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Where do you guys buy your comics?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Where do you guys buy your comics?  (Read 2710 times)

RickDeckard525

message icon
Where do you guys buy your comics?
« on: July 26, 2013, 06:38:36 PM »

I don't even know where to start looking on the Internet and I bet you guys are buying some of this stuff from stores. I live in Los Angeles, California and I'm hoping somebody here knows a store that has golden age stuff or at least some direction to search on the internet
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Where do you guys buy your comics?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 07:00:12 PM »

It all depends on what you are looking for. Milehigh has frequent 50-60% off currently SANDIEGO codeword 60% off. Their superhero stuff is high even after that but... if you are looking for low grade Charlton or some funny animal, romance or teen stuff from other companies you can get stuff for less than a new comic. That is how I got much of my stuff. I would check movielover's list on DCM and here to see what is still needed. http://www.terryscomics.com/Catalog_2012/cat2012_opt.pdf is another place to look as well a Metropolis comics.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 07:42:23 PM »

Are you looking to buy hard copy golden age books? I live in the OC. let me know.

Richard.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 09:57:19 PM »

I think House of Secrets is still open over in Burbank. Haven't been there for a few years, (I don't live in CA) but last time I was there I bought a lot of reasonable Silver Age and some Golden Age reprint collections. Might be worth a call. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 04:02:03 PM »

I haven't been in L.A. in years, so the shops i went to then might not even be there now.  I buy stuff from a couple of British dealers but shipping for those in USA/ Canada might be prohibitive.  try Quicksilver comics:-
http://www.qscomics.com/
Or, 30th. Century Comics;-
http://www.thirtiethcentury.free-online.co.uk/
Never had any problems with either.
ip icon Logged

RickDeckard525

message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 11:05:43 PM »

Ok, that helps a lot. I would like to clarify that I am looking for things to upload here. Also, what about pulps?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 01:45:48 AM »

ip icon Logged

RickDeckard525

message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 05:33:00 AM »

I know about the pulps section, I was just wondering if you guys had any sites in mind. Thanks for the list though, it is very helpful! Left to wander the Internet alone I have come up with a site that has almost full runs on major anthologies, but hardly any hero papers and invested five dollars in an issue of Famous fantastic mysteries starring Jack London (Yay I am contributing). Do you guys know a good place for hero pulps? I'm not seeing much.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 11:37:07 AM »

The only place I have seen much is on ebay. Even there they can be pretty pricey and usually not PD
ip icon Logged

RickDeckard525

message icon
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 06:38:06 PM »

That is what I'm finding too. I am also discovering that it doesn't seem like there are many single character pulps that are pd anyway, besides the spider issues we already have, albeit in text.
ip icon Logged

RickDeckard525

message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 06:42:24 PM »

By the way the website I mentioned earlier is at http://www.vintagepulps.com/
Hmmm, I hope that shows up as a link, my iPad won't do it.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 10:00:01 PM »

worked thanks
ip icon Logged

RickDeckard525

message icon
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 12:16:45 AM »

Hey guys, how am I going to scan a digest format? :-\
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 12:50:57 AM »

what do you mean exactly? as far as size goes? I scan my small books @ 150% and for the mini books 200%. or is that not what you are asking?
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 03:35:55 AM »

I have a book that was published almost ten years ago called TRUE CRIME TRUE NORTH (THE GOLDEN AGE OF CANADIAN PULP MAGAZINES) by Carolyn Strange and Tina Loo. I bought it for two reasons: 1) the period it addresses is the same period as the Canadian Golden Age of Comics--both stemming from trade restrictions during WWII resulting in a publishing boom for comics and pulps in Canada--and 2) this book was on sale, unbelievably dirt cheap.

But, even though I've thumbed through it, I can't say I've read it cover to cover. The book looks good, but it tries to play too many sides. Is it a scholarly historical work--it seems to affect a certain level of scholarship--is it socio-political anaylysis--is it meant to be fun--there's lots of attempts at being funny. I lose patience with its authors pretty quick every time I pick it up.

But it does use a lot of source material from the pulps. I gather this is gleaned from the National Library of Canada which must have copies of all these pulps (as well as lots of comic books from the same time period). All of this would be PD, but it's a question of whether the National Library allows scanning its collection.

Unfortunately for Canadians, the National Library and the National Archive and a lot of other national institutions are housed in our nation's capital, Ottawa. Far away from where anybody lives. I was in Ottawa, but only for one day, last year--the first time in my life--and there were lots of things I wanted to get done, but little time to do them--so I never got to the National Library. And it was one of the coldest days I've ever felt (colder than Edmonton, where I lived for many years--because that Ottawa Valley wind goes right through your bones). No wonder our Members of Parliament have ice in their veins.

But I would guess the National Library is a good bet for finding Canadian pulps to scan--if they let you. I haven't a clue. But if there's anyone here who lives in the Ottawa-Hull region (and you have my sympathies), they might check it out.
ip icon Logged

RickDeckard525

message icon
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 04:19:49 AM »

Richard, my problem is with the binding of the books. They are glued together rather than stapled and I don't want to damage them.
ip icon Logged

RickDeckard525

message icon
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 04:24:16 AM »

and Jim, maybe you should start a separate topic for that or mention it on the news page about the D.C. campaign with the DCM. If you haven't seen it is under news. I'm sure more people would see it that way, good luck!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.