in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

All things "Super"

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: All things "Super"  (Read 2257 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
All things "Super"
« on: July 27, 2013, 03:57:45 PM »

jimmm kelly has been listing all things called "Super-" and I added the French superhero, "Super Boy".  But there are more that might not be on his list.  Starting with the Supercats.  This 4 piece group started out in the British weekly, "Scream" and you can read the rare 1st. issue here:-
http://theyellowedpages.blogspot.ie/2011/03/spellbound-complete-issue-1-25th.html
They previously appeared with the group name of The Fabulous Four in Diana.  The Yellowed Pages says the annuals and I'm pretty sure they were in the weekly also:-
http://theyellowedpages.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/the-fabulous-four-aka-supercats.html

O.K., I cheated here and looked up internationalhero for this bunch when I saw the link.  So if you click and scroll way down, you'll find some more.  I was checking up the British Superboyo and that reminded me of I. H.
http://internationalhero.co.uk/s/s.htm
Now, when you get to Supergirl, the site omits another British Supergirl. Susie Solomon (sometimes Sullivan), who is given bionic implants after a car crash and becomes a secret agent.  She appeared in Bunty in the '70's.
http://downthetubescomics.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/webfinds-girls-comics-of-yesterday.html

I also note the omission of Supercoat, a sort of super powered sidekick in the Miracleman comics, (titled Superhombre on Spanish.)  You can read a story here:-
http://superitch.com/?p=18162
Just as a last one for the time being, there is Supermike (super strength, lightning fast reactions) from the Italian Zagor comic.  Villain and hero at times.  You can see him here:-
http://www.comicvine.com/zagor-124-zagor-contro-supermike/4000-278352/
I'm sure the good folk on CB+ can come up with more.  Over to you.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
Re: All things "Super"
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 04:39:57 PM »

Of course, my list was never meant to be comprehensive (I originally did it all in one day--and probably missed a lot), but I'll be adding these Supers plus the others suggested and any others people want to throw in. I found a little bit more about L.B. Cole's SUPER CAT, that in fact none of those issues featured SUPER CAT inside--just on the covers. If I was a kid buying those comics, I would've felt really cheated.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 03:04:46 AM »

I added six Supers from some of the ones mentioned here and elsewhere. I've arbitrarily decided to draw the line at adding anymore that came after 198O for my blog--but feel free to post them here. Also, I'm just drawing the line on any that don't strike my fancy.

I haven't added Susie Solomon Supergirl or Mister Miracle's Supermike yet, because looking at the pages on them I couldn't find details about when they appeared or in what issue they appeared in first. And in the evening my eyesight starts to go--so I can only stare at those websites for so long before my eyes go bleary. Maybe another day I'll be able to unearth more details on them for the purpose of my blog.

Thanks for all the info.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 06:27:04 AM »

it's taken me too long to get back to this, but I finally added a few more of the supers from this list onto my page. I was a bit confused about Super Mike and Super Hombre before. But now I think I have it right. I also added Percival Popp the Super Cop. Always ready for anymore Supers that people can think of.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 09:27:50 AM »

Waaaaaaaay after your cut-off date, but the 2007 webcomic event The Crossover Wars had the Super Wars (involving webcomic superheroes) http://www.dragoneers.com/crossoverwars/Superwars.html and amongst the various types of droids the Evil Overlords used were Super droids.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 12:12:48 PM »

It's okay to put anything "super" that you can think of on this thread--I'm just not likely to use anything after the early '80s on my blog page. And any links or background detail is good so I can check them out. I have to check them out and understand what they're about in my own mind, before I can put them on my list.

When checking out Percival Popp, I realized that everybody gets it wrong. Luckily I have the stories where he appeared (most anyway) and it's a long process before he takes over from Jim Corrigan with the Spectre. Other websites make it seem like Popp showed up and Corrigan left all in one story. Not so.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 01:39:53 PM »

Jimmm, I hope I'm not duplicating something I posted before (Possible senior moment coming up, again) but here's Superstooge:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=35215
Fits your time frame, he's great fun, absolutely useless as a superhero and he's on CB+
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 03:52:26 PM »

Yup, got him on my list. But I had to check, because I couldn't remember either. I should try to think of a way to organize my list--because it's totally random right now, so I always have to go through the whole list to check which ones I've already included.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 01:19:56 AM »

Some "new" things I haven't added to my list of supers--but worth mentioning here.

The Parkinson Superwalk. I don't know if you have this in the United States. But different cities across Canada hold a Superwalk to raise money for Parkinson's Disease research and care. Dates vary by city.

Today the Royal Canadian Mint released a set of Superman coins to celebrate the 75th anniversary. I don't know why it took them so long to realize that it's the 75th anniversary--maybe they've been reading my blog.

But they aren't the only ones in Canada slow to cash in on the 75 year milestone--Canada Post will start selling a series of Superman stamps tomorrow.

I'd put up links, but I'm not sure how trustworthy they are. Better to just do your own searches--or wait for the American media to get wind of this--which should happen in about a couple of months.

The designs for both of these vary. I like the gold coin with its Joe Shuster design--but that's a steep price to pay. There's also a silver coin that uses a Shuster design which might be affordable. The stamps cost much much less.

I think, as a Nation, we're exploiting the tenuous link to Superman a little too much. But from a comic book fanboy perspective, I'm willing to look the other way on this one. From a commercial perspective--this is a good business move--exploiting coin collectors, stamp collectors and comic book collectors.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 01:22:09 AM by jimmm kelly »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.