in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Which glasses for 3-d comics?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Which glasses for 3-d comics?  (Read 2288 times)

bfotk

message icon
Which glasses for 3-d comics?
« on: January 13, 2014, 11:02:00 PM »

I'd like to revisit th 3-D comics of my youth...but I'm not sure about which color combination of glasses will serve best.  Red/blue, red/cyan, red/green, red/blue-green, and some with magenta instead of red are listed here and there.

I accepted one offer of a free set of paper glasses in return for a stamped, self-addressed envelope.  They just arrived.  I'd call them red/blue and they don't work real well with the Tor issue I downloaded.

I seem to recall red/green being provided with the books, but the downloaded colors (somewhat faded, I imagine) appear more like cyan or blue-green.

Any suggestions based on fuller experience?
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
Re: Which glasses for 3-d comics?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 12:13:24 AM »

I'm afraid I can't help as I'm in a similar situation.

A few months back, I bought an issue of the original printing for THREE STOOGES No. 2 (October '53)--the first of two STOOGES 3-D issues from Norman Mauer and Joe Kubert. But I was cheap and didn't spring for a copy that came with glasses. I know I have the 3-D glasses for SUPERMAN BEYOND 3D around somewhere, but I have no idea where I put them--and I'm not sure they would work. My copy of STOOGES has some browning, so maybe even orginal 3-D glasses wouldn't create the right effect. When I scanned a few pages, I experimented with using different saturations, thinking maybe I could recreate the right colour levels, but with my current computer and scanner, I think I was dreaming. In theory it should be possible to remaster the pages, but it's not worth the trouble for me right now.

ip icon Logged

bfotk

message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 02:31:33 AM »

This is NOT the place which sent me the free 3-D glasses (red/blue).  It's another free sample glasses site and they seem to be able to supply red/cyan, red/green, etc.  I just haven't yet sent them the envelope and stamp.  When I do, I'm going to try red/cyan (unless someone can provide information otherwise).

http://www.rainbowsymphony.com/freestuff.html

Thanks for the reply.
ip icon Logged

bfotk

message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 02:57:14 AM »

The Civil War Trust, http://www.civilwar.org/, will also send a set of free paper 3-D glasses.  They don't even ask for an envelope.  They say that they send red/cyan.

Why do it?  It seems that over 70 percent of original Civil War photographs were taken for stereoscope viewing.  Click on the photos link and you can get to a rather large library of them.  They're pretty damn impressive!  (Although I, like you, am looking forward to viewing a '50 Three Stooges 3-D comic book as it was originally intended to be seen.)

Link to 3-D photos: http://bit.ly/1aYgCv0
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 04:09:11 AM »

I remember looking through those stereoscopic viewers as a kid. Someone in our family had them, probably my aunt, probably passed down from her father or mother. They were quite clever, elegantly simple and easier to use than the red/green 3-D stuff. By the time I was getting comics, the 3-D fad had long since faded, but I remember cereal boxes and other items like that that had the red/green 3-D images.
ip icon Logged

Quian

message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 05:59:41 AM »

The red/blue glasses should work ok for most comics. But be aware, that you may need to turn them around for a few. Making them left-eye blue, vs the normal left-eye red. The red/blue are actually the red/cyan.

I have three 3D issue of "Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters". The old black/red printed ones. And the red/blue are used for them. And a couple other mags that I have.

If you are in the USA, and there is a Dollar Tree store near you, you may be able to get a couple pair of black frame, plastic lenses there. Not all stores keep them in stock. Although, if you can get the paper frame ones for free... why not.  ;) . If you are near a (family) Party Supply Store, K-Mart (yes there are still some around), ToysRus, Joann Fabrics, KB Toys, or Hobby Lobby. You might be able to get a kids book/marker set that has glasses with polarized clear lenses, that work well. But are about $7 (US).

Man, I did not think to look for those type comics here. Silly me! Would they be allowed for uploading? As the copyrights were 1986-1987 & 2009.
ip icon Logged

73042helloworld

message icon
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 06:29:54 AM »

You are actually looking at two or three major problems here.  As you mention, It has been 60 years since the 3-D comic flood of 1953 and most issues are faded changing the color value of the images.  It is also true that quality control for color was not too high in comics of 1953 and even if the color was good, I've seen many comics where the registration between two colors was far enough off vertically to as to have a color for item as much as a quarter inch outside the the lines they were supposed to be inside.  Also the quality control on the shade of color wasn't always that good either.  The earliest 3-D comics (including your 1953 Three Stooges)  had red/green with the green on the  right eye while most of the ink used was magenta/cyan.  The red lens was too red and overpowered everything often causing a red tint to everything.  In the 1980, the lens was usually red/cyan which was some better.  I found they worked better even on books from 1953 even though the red was just as overbearing.  I found the same problem with the anaglyph 3-D movies on my TV.  Based on my 65+ years of movies and comic books, I would recommend a magenta/cyan in most cases.  You will still get some double-imaging, but it should be better than the other choices.  Just remember, my advice is based entirely experience in the United States.  I have never been any further than 50 miles outside the US, so I can't talk too much about comics in the UK or other countries.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.