in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

'Ello Folks

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: 'Ello Folks  (Read 1398 times)

joeybombstyle

message icon
'Ello Folks
« on: April 17, 2014, 06:59:25 PM »

Name is Joe. I got into comics just south of 10 years old in the early 80's during what I like to call the Adamantium Age of comics. At that time I was not a big Marvel fan except for Captain America (not surprising) more leaning toward the DC stuff which probably went hand in hand with my watching of things like the Superfriends. The old school concept of superheros is what always appealed to me at that time so that is probably why many of the Golden Age characters were more appealing to me and why I latched on to books like All Star Squadron then. As I grew older I grew away from comics and the fact that the industry started to abandon the concept of good old fashion guys in long underwear on newsprint it was not difficult for me to kind of lose interest just a few years into the post Crisis. I always kept touch with what was basically going on and still fell into a few things like Sandman and more indy books in the early 90 to mid 90's but for different reasons obviously. When the internet blew up and a lot of these books started to pop back up in digital formats it was perfect for a guy like me as it meant not having to find space for the books if I was just in the mood to pick up a quick read. It also gave me a chance to go back and take a chance that a young boy on a fixed budget could not take and discover some of the love that I would develop for early silver age books and for people like Kirby that I really never had before.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: 'Ello Folks
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:22:39 PM »

Well here is the place to hang out joey. We love to read these books and talk about them. Look forward to future convos.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 05:08:04 PM »

Hello Joe.  Welcome to the site.  I get what you say about digital when you have a lack of space.   Same for me.  Although, there is something about the feel, look and smell of a physical old comic that can't be beat.
Feel free to join in the forum but most importantly, enjoy the comics.
ip icon Logged

joeybombstyle

message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 05:04:09 AM »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

paw broon I have to agree with you on that I still keep a small collection of my All Star Squadron, Invaders and Airboy on hand to get that fix from.
ip icon Logged

Isaura Luiza Paramysio

message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 01:33:34 PM »

Welcome

There is a character from the All-Star Squadrom come to know that due to search Golden Age comics, the Black Condor, with some visits on wikipedia (to find which edition is which each character) and a search here on the site I'm sure you will find very good thing.
Out that with time you will meet lots of cool stuff here.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.