in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Total Golden Age Estimate

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Total Golden Age Estimate  (Read 4866 times)

rez

• Past Member
message icon
Total Golden Age Estimate
« on: September 27, 2008, 12:56:17 PM »

JVJ,
A while back I queried the site if it was possible to perform a rough estimate regarding the total number of public domain titles and individual issues 1938 to '55 and some thought it impossible.

It would seem that ascertaining the number of PD within the totalled goldenage books would be difficult at best so what I am asking is a guesstimate of sorts.

Seeing your depth of study I thought to ask if it might it be possible to estimate the total individual issues of goldenage comics within say 1000-2000 books within the '38 to '55 classification?

Thanks
ip icon Logged

cimmerian32

• VIP
message icon
Re: Total Golden Age Estimate
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 01:35:39 PM »

Rez...  I'm not sure of actual content, but the Edgar Church collection of Golden Age books was close to 21,000!  Now quite a few of those were DC and Marvel, but still...
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 01:39:15 PM »

That's what I was hoping to see, a number to work from.
Thanks.

Rez...  I'm not sure of actual content, but the Edgar Church collection of Golden Age books was close to 21,000!  Now quite a few of those were DC and Marvel, but still...
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 04:01:26 PM »

I seem to recall some articles in old Comic Book Marketplace issues having fairly specific numbers for certain years; unfortunately my collection is in storage right now.  (That was always a frustrating series, with great articles eventually getting overwhelmed by an annoying obsession with value and market reports.  Some good stuff if you ignored the junk; but then Alter Ego came back and it wasn't worth wading through any more.)
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 04:44:42 PM »

The person you want to speak to is Dan Stevenson, who has done issue by issue, year by year, company by company lists of titles. He and Michelle Nolan are big into those kinds of numbers. I am not. I do not even know how many comic books I might have. Dan's the man. He won't the PD info, but he'll have everything else you might need.

(|:{>
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 12:02:22 AM »

Sent him an email from his addy found on an old '90s romance comic listing that got returned with a failure notice.

Then spent some time searching his name to learn he will be at the Oklahoma City show October 3 and 4rth of this year but could not locate an email address.

The person you want to speak to is Dan Stevenson, who has done issue by issue, year by year, company by company lists of titles. He and Michelle Nolan are big into those kinds of numbers. I am not. I do not even know how many comic books I might have. Dan's the man. He won't the PD info, but he'll have everything else you might need.

(|:{>
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 12:04:51 AM »

Try Dan.Stevenson@sparta.com, rez,
that's the last address I had for him. Good luck.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 12:09:38 AM »

Yep, that one worked. Thanks.

Try Dan.Stevenson@sparta.com, rez,
that's the last address I had for him. Good luck.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 05:21:47 PM »

Never got a reply.
If you were to take a best guessimate shot at it what might you say?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:23:22 PM by rez »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.