in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,840 books
 New: 100 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Magazines of the World (Austria, anyway)

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Magazines of the World (Austria, anyway)  (Read 810 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Magazines of the World (Austria, anyway)
« on: February 17, 2015, 05:31:00 AM »

Recently Jimmm Kelly posted a link to a Brazilian site hosting dozens of that country's magazines and newspapers. Following one of his other links I landed on a fantastic site run by the Austrian National Library. Like the Brazilian site it features digitized versions of newspapers and magazines. It's a fabulous collection! About the only thing I haven't found yet is comics. Tons of magazines about sport, current events, fashion, movies, architecture...the collection covers a wide range of subjects including obscurities like Esperanto journals and a trade magazine for fire fighters. I can see myself losing many hours browsing here.

Here's a link to the alphabetical list of the collection, with helpful thumbnails of typical covers:

http://anno.onb.ac.at/alph_list.htm
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
Re: Magazines of the World (Austria, anyway)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 06:34:32 AM »

I found that Austrian site about a year and a half ago and did a short blog on one comic strip that I found in DAS KLEINE BLATT--Seicherl und Struppi. This was the first daily comic strip to appear in a continental European newspaper--and, in fact became quite popular in Austria in its day. I can read some German, but this strip was written in Wienerisch, the Viennese dialect.

Go to OTF 03.09.13 for that blog.

I looked through some of the other Austrian newspapers at that time. It's quite interesting, because you can go very far back in time with some of those papers. However, I didn't find many other original comic strips that caught my interest.

I'm sure that I'll get back to looking at those papers again in the future. But I hope others will do their own searches. Many eyes have a better chance of spotting interesting material. It would be nice to find some comics that can be included on the German section of Comic Book Plus--since I like to practice reading German and I have an interest in Austria.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.