in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Creative Commons Comics!?!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Creative Commons Comics!?!  (Read 5676 times)

studangerous

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: studangerous
message icon
Creative Commons Comics!?!
« on: November 08, 2008, 04:38:04 PM »

Comics and graphic novels are having a resurgence these days and with the amount of pirated material available on the internet some comic producers are releasing their material under the Creative Commons Licence. The licence decrees that most of this material can be re-released, so I was surprised that there wasn't any on this site. However I'm new here I may have been mistaken and maybe this is truly a 'Golden Age' only comic site and not for the wider spectrum of Public Domain, Creative Commons & Limited Copyright comics available on the web.

Anyway if anyone is interested I can post links to what I have found or upload those I have converted to .cbr format.

Studangerous

More details on Creative Commons @ creativecommons.org
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Creative Commons Comics!?!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 06:09:48 PM »

Hi Stud,
Yes we are a Golden Age only site first - but only public domain works.
But if you'd like to add your link to Creative Commons works feel free to add it to the "Reference Links' topic here:
http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,994.0.html
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 06:26:02 PM »

Definitely agreed; I'd really like to see where people are going in that field.  I know I've seen the idea of "Open Culture" comics floated in a few areas, but I've never seen anything more substantial than quick strips (xkcd.com is near-genius), rather than full books.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 06:30:19 PM »

There are some sites with their full library of material available on-line. I do not remember which manga site has an interesting page turning program. Merchandising and people buying the paper after the digital seems to be profitable for some. I think some creators have done very will selling stuff with their charcters on them.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 04:28:57 PM »

Oh, I know there are quite a few "free to read" sites.  Dark Horse often puts a few full books on their MySpace page, I think.  But that's a far cry from "can distribute or adapt," which is usually the goal of a Creative Commons project.

(I found a comic book script so licensed, but it was terribly boring, with a full page of a guy getting dressed.  I think I passed out from the excitement after that, so I don't know what happens next.  Maybe he went to get a glass of water.)
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.