in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Sci-Fi movie Poll

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Sci-Fi movie Poll  (Read 7393 times)

betaraybdw

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: betaraybdw
message icon
Sci-Fi movie Poll
« on: September 23, 2015, 07:13:45 PM »

This is a short list of my favorite Sci-Fi movies.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Sci-Fi movie Poll
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 05:15:15 AM »

Some excellent choices- truly an eclectic mix! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 06:57:04 PM »

Nice choices.  But you probably know what I'm going to say, that is, that were it my list, I'd have different films on it.  I voted for Empire because it's, for me, the best one on the list.  But my favourites would have have been older.  The 3 Quatermass films, X The Unknown, Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (original), Night of the Big Heat, Island of Terror etc.
This is good fun.  Thanks.
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 08:44:27 PM »

I don't know what it is about Star Wars that leaves me unimpressed.  I realize I'm clearly in the minority on this opinion, and I actually have wondered why for some time.  The subject matter and characters are fun and engaging, but not compelling to me.  My favorite all-time SF movie is still The Day the Earth Stood Still, but I will watch Dark City over and over as well.  (modern versus classic?)

But I gotta say that the Ewok thing, (third SW movie) was possibly the worst film I've ever seen. Again, I'm sorry to tread on holy ground here, but phew, no thank you.

--Dave
ip icon Logged

betaraybdw

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 08:53:08 PM »

No worries Everyone has their tastes.

(I love SW, but I don't like Ewoks (or Gungans) either and most SW fans don't) The new film looks like it might be pretty good. The new head of Lucasfilm said they have listened to the fan complaints over the years and are keeping what most fans really like about SW (Jedi, Sith, lightsabers, Stormtroopers, spaceships and droids) and jettisoning the Ewoks and Gungans, but we'll see.

The Day the Earth Stood Still made my runner-up list along with Them, Godzilla(1954), King Kong (1933) & 2001: A Space Odyssey
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 11:41:59 AM »

In most things I am not big on favorites. I do not watch things over and over. With me it is usually I enjoy or not.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 03:45:43 PM »

I see that many agree with me on "Forbidden Planet".
"Blade Runner" would be a close second with "Aliens" running third place.

"Pitch Black" is pretty much in a class by itself, and one of my favorites, but the three listed are more ground breaking.
Like "Empire Strikes Back" any episode of a long running franchise does not stand on its own merits. To some extent you could say the same for "Aliens" but in fact the Alien series pretty much went off the rails after the second film and the Script for Aliens could stand alone even if you never saw the first film, especially since they edited out the re-discovery of the Alien derelict by the colonists.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 04:43:54 PM »

I'm not sure that's right about Empire, but it could be only my opinion.  I've watched this a few times and, really, I voted for it mainly for the first half hour or so.  Forbidden Planet starts well and seems to wind down and I've always found it a bit disappointing by the end.  Blade Runner was great entertainment the time I saw it at the pictures but I couldn't watch it again. Not seen Pitch Black and I'd have to look it up to find out what it's about. :-[
As a Quatermass fan I've often thought there are other Quatermass films which aren't part of the series but easily could be.  It's worth a look at The Giant Behemoth and X The Unknown.
The Quatermass films, 2 with Brian Donleavy, although not quite as good as the original tv serials are still frighteningly good.  Jack Warner is worth watching in the Quatermass Experiment, as usual.
Perhaps I'm just old ;D
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

betaraybdw

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 05:36:19 PM »

Pitch Black is a true gem, way different from Chronicles of Riddick.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 07:25:26 PM »

Rronicles of Criddick?  Got me again.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 12:00:55 PM »

The Riddrick series has a few problems, They expanded the main character beyond the limitations of his back story in Pitch Black.
Pitch Black stands alone as a very interesting survival story, each actor presenting his character well enough that you felt you knew them despite not knowing much about them. The monster species was very well thought out. It reminded me of the various stages of the Grendels in one of my favorite Sci Fi novels "The Legacy of Heorot". Only one dominant life form remains and the various stages of development result in what appears on the surface to be many species filling ecological niches.
Legacy of Heorot would make a dynamite miniseries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legacy_of_Heorot

ip icon Logged

elGiron

message icon
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 02:30:02 PM »

Why Aliens, but no Alien?!??
ip icon Logged

betaraybdw

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 04:34:31 PM »

because the poll is based on MY favorite sci-fi movies and Though I like Alien (a lot), I really consider it a Horror Movie that just happens to take place in the future, in space.
ip icon Logged

elGiron

message icon
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 08:44:56 AM »

Ahhh, I see. I'd vote for Blade Runner again.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 03:42:37 PM »

If voting were still open, by a process of elimination, I would have to vote for LOGAN'S RUN.

I've never seen PITCH BLACK or SILENT RUNNING. All the others are science fiction but with some qualification. Most of them are piggy-backing on science fiction but in the tradition of another genre. For example, BLADE RUNNER is really a film noir that uses the futuristic setting as a way to add more surreality to the already surreal form. FORBBIDEN PLANET is Shakespeare's THE TEMPEST set in space.

I'm sure LOGAN'S RUN has some other metaphorical stuff going on, but to me it's the one movie from that set that really feels like straight ahead science fiction.
ip icon Logged

betaraybdw

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 10:47:06 PM »

Pitch Black and Silent Running are treats to watch. you do yourself a disservice by not having seen them.  Another movie that holds  up to this day is Outland starring Sean Connery as a cop on a mining station in space. (A comic adaption was made and printed across a few issues of Heavy Metal magazine with outstanding art by Jim Steranko.)

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2014/12/21/year-of-the-artist-day-355-jim-steranko-part-3-heavy-metal-volume-5-3-4-7-and-10/
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 03:15:15 AM by Kracalactaka »
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 01:54:31 AM »

Pitch Black and Silent Running are treats to watch you do yourself a disservice by not having seen them. 

Well it's not like it's something I've been deliberately doing to myself. There are thousands of movies, comic books, novels that I've not got around to--and it's quite likely I never will, given that life is short and wishlists are long.
ip icon Logged

betaraybdw

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 03:13:30 AM »

I wasn't trying to be cheeky or snarky, sounds like you took it that way Jim
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.