in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

National Comics/Uncle Sam

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: National Comics/Uncle Sam  (Read 2639 times)

Sackett

message icon
National Comics/Uncle Sam
« on: November 05, 2015, 04:05:05 PM »

I'm a new member, and learning my way around, and I have a question.  I see that someone has uploaded National Comics #26 featuring Uncle Sam.   I know that DC Comics has inherited this character from National.   Is it considered in the public domain because the likeness is close enough to the Uncle Sam character first appearing in editorial cartoons?   And does this mean that if I owned a printing press, I could create a star-spangled & goateed Uncle Sam comic book, too?
ip icon Logged

movielover

• Administrator
message icon
Re: National Comics/Uncle Sam
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 07:07:00 PM »

National Comics 26 was published by Quality, who by the time the copyright came up for renewal had ceased publication. Meaning the book is public domain, while the character, not so much

And no, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to create and print your own comic book
ip icon Logged

Sackett

message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 07:52:01 PM »

Ok...In reading the forum, I'm beginning to understand the difference between a book being in public domain, and the character...

....if anyone REALLY understands these things
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 02:51:39 AM »

My understanding with Uncle Sam is that it's like with Dracula. Dracula is in the public domain (in America, not sure about the UK), but each comic adaptation of Dracula is unique to itself so you can't do a version of Dracula that resembles those versions of the character, nor can you do anything too similar to the Universal Pictures Dracula. But you can do your own adaptation of Dracula--so long as you find a way to do the character that qualifies as unique and doesn't borrow too much from any of those others.

So with Uncle Sam there have been several and there were several versions of Uncle Sam during WW II. But the Quality character is their own trademarked version of the character. The copyright has lapsed, but DC still owns the trademark on the Quality Uncle Sam. Yet if you create your own Uncle Sam that's different enough from the Quality version, then that should be okay. 

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.