in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Astrp3's Postage Offer and Request list

Pages: [1] 2 3

topic icon Author Topic: Astrp3's Postage Offer and Request list  (Read 34923 times)

Astrp3

message icon
Astrp3's Postage Offer and Request list
« on: December 02, 2008, 03:55:19 PM »

Thanks, below is my top 25 list. Most (probably 75%) of books I posted were my scans as were most of pre-code horror ones that Tigger posted.
I actually trade with Karswell from The Horrors Of It All. When I buy stuff, I trade it to him in exchange for borrowing his stuff and scanning it which I then post (unless it's not public domain like Atlas. I have also added Black Magic to my non-public domain list, even though there are some questions about it.). If he has already posted a story from an issue, I just use his scans for that story rather than re-scanning it myself. Rarely, he will post a complete issue (as with Voodoo #15) and I will just use that and not bother borrowing the issue just to scan the ads/text stories though I will usually get cover scans from Heritage Auctions.

My list:
CURRENT LIST IS AT THE END OF THIS THREAD. -Yoc
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 06:40:17 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Astrp3's Postage Offer and request list
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 05:27:38 PM »

Ah thanks for that background info Astrp3.  I'd always thought perhaps you and Karswell were the same guy.
Funny, I'd heard the name 'Brey' might be responsible for some of the same scans.  Glad to know the real source behind these lovely horror books finally!  :)

I'm sure one of the JVJ scanners will be contacting you at some point about your generous offer, stay tuned.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Astrp3's Postage Offer and Request list
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 03:10:08 AM »

I've moved this to it's own topic so it doesn't get lost in the crowd.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 03:36:30 AM »

I am willing to take on a few of those books if Jim has them for us to scan in my next batch.  I was already planning on throwing open several of my choices to the group; your offer would cover pretty much JVJ's entire postage cost for the next batch.  We can split them between us if the other scanners are willing as well.  The catch, of course, is most of us have just gotten batches of books and it will probably be early next year before that happens.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 08:16:27 PM »

Hi Astrp3,
It sounds like the JVJ scanners are willing to include books from your request list but Narf, Eric and Jon just got their latest boxes from JVJ so I don't see any of you books being scanned until the next set of boxes are requested.  So Jan. looks most likely as Eric said.

I hope that works ok for you.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

ubantuban

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 09:16:44 PM »

Then it will be a happy new year after all! ;D
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 03:40:38 AM »

Hi Astrp3,
It sounds like the JVJ scanners are willing to include books from your request list but Narf, Eric and Jon just got their latest boxes from JVJ so I don't see any of you books being scanned until the next set of boxes are requested.  So Jan. looks most likely as Eric said.

I hope that works ok for you.

-Yoc

I just received my latest batch of books too Yoc.

Geo
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 03:58:29 AM »

Right.
Ok gang, when the time comes to ask for more from Jim - would you please indicate here which books you've requested off of Astrp3's list?

Thanks,
-Yoc
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:03:56 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 03:43:54 AM »

Astrp3 I had a question for you about Mysterious Traveler #1 on your list, is that the book that's really called "Mysterious Traveler Comics" #1 published by (Radio), Trans-World Publications Nov. 1948 from JVJ's book list? We want to be sure to ask for the right books when we do ask. Thank you for any light you can shed on this please.

Geo
ip icon Logged

Astrp3

message icon
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 11:10:53 PM »

Yes, that was the 1948 Mysterious Traveler Comics.

I will be making some revisions to the list in the upcoming weeks (I.E. if I find some of the books elsewhere). Since everybody seems to have be working on batches right now, I'll wait until people are ready for a new batch before I post my list or contribute to the postage fund.
ip icon Logged

Astrp3

message icon
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 05:06:55 AM »

I will continue revising my list until everyone is ready to start their next batch, but here is my first revision:

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 06:40:43 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 05:17:47 AM »

I've asked the scanners to please tell us here when they've started to request any from your list Astrp3.  As you know all of them have recently gotten a batch so it will be a month or more before that starts to happen.  Some got many books and depending on how long they take to scan it might be more likely Feb. so I hope you'll be patent with us.  We do plan on getting them eventually and JVJ will certainly need the help with postage as by then as well.
:)
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 11:18:53 PM »

Hey, Astrp3,
Are there any updates or deletions from your list? Ontology might be joining the scan team and he could incorporate some of your wants into his first batch of requested comics.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

Astrp3

message icon
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 09:42:10 PM »

Sorry, I just now read this.
I do have some changes to my want list.
Here is the revised list:

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 06:41:17 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 10:32:09 PM »

Thanks for the update, Astrp3.
You want to tackle some of these, Geo?

ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 03:41:07 AM »

Sure Jim, you can make them the next batch you send out to me if that's ok. I'll take the first 20 on them, that would work best for me.

1. Web of Mystery #2
2. Web of Mystery #22
3. Mysterious Adventures #7
4. Mysterious Adventures #8
5. Mysterious Adventures #23
6. Out of the Shadows #8
7. Out of the Shadows #12
8. Black Cat Mystery #32
9. Black Cat Mystery #42
10. Chamber of Chills #21
11. Witches Tales #18
12. Beware Terror Tales #8
13. This Magazine is Haunted #1
14. This Magazine is Haunted #2
15. Beware (Trojan) #5
16. Beware (Trojan) #9
17. Beware (Trojan) #11
18. Weird Mysteries #1
19. Weird Mysteries #5
20. Mysterious Traveler #1

That would give me some time to upload some of the books I have already scanned to a couple of members (Rez and Darkmark) here for editing and do some of my own edits too that I've been wanting to do for a change of pace. Then I  would be able to get them back to you before your next trip you talked about with me.

Geo
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 04:38:42 AM »

Holy cats Geo!   :o
That's a very generous offer.  I think Ont might be taking #13 and 14 though if I understand the weird numbering the title has.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Astrp3

message icon
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 04:32:09 PM »

Wow! Thanks for the offer.
I just made my first contribution of $25 to the postage fund and will send more after the first of the month.
I did have one substitute, if it's not too late.
I got a copy of Mysterious Adventures #8 on e-bay last night, so I'd like to substitue Beware #11 (Youthful) for Mysterious Adventures #8.
Also, #13 and #14 aren't the ones Ont is scanning. He is doing the ones from Charlton. The ones on my list are the first two from Fawcett (at least I thought they were).

So here is the revised list with the one change I made:
1. Web of Mystery #2
2. Web of Mystery #22
3. Mysterious Adventures #7
4. Mysterious Adventures #23
5. Beware #11 (Youthful)
6. Out of the Shadows #8
7. Out of the Shadows #12
8. Black Cat Mystery #32
9. Black Cat Mystery #42
10. Chamber of Chills #21
11. Witches Tales #18
12. Beware Terror Tales #8
13. This Magazine is Haunted #1 (Fawcett)
14. This Magazine is Haunted #2 (Fawcett)
15. Beware (Trojan) #5
16. Beware (Trojan) #9
17. Beware (Trojan) #11
18. Weird Mysteries #1
19. Weird Mysteries #5
20. Mysterious Traveller #1
21. Chilling Tales #17
22. The Thing #1
23. Witchcraft #4
24. Witchcraft #6
25. Voodoo #2

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 06:44:23 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 06:47:56 PM »

Thanks for clarifying that Astrp3, I've added that to your list.
Probably best to include publishers whenever there is any doubt as you did with the Beware title.

Thanks for your postal fund donation!
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Astrp3

message icon
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 07:50:08 PM »

That reminds me. I also need to clarify that the Chamber of Chills #21 is the 1954 one, not the 1951 #21 (which is already posted here).
ip icon Logged

Astrp3

message icon
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 07:55:20 PM »

Sorry again, but in looking at my last post, I realized that Witches Tales #18 was also posted here, so please substitute Witches Tales #5.

Here is the revised list, with publishers:
1. Web of Mystery #2 (Ace)
2. Web of Mystery #22 (Ace)
3. Mysterious Adventures #7 (Story)
4. Mysterious Adventures #23 (Story)
5. Beware #11 (Youthful)
6. Out of the Shadows #8 (Standard)
7. Out of the Shadows #12 (Standard)
8. Black Cat Mystery #32 (Harvey)
9. Black Cat Mystery #42 (Harvey)
10. Chamber of Chills #21 (Harvey, 1954 version)
11. Witches Tales #5 (Harvey)
12. Beware Terror Tales #8 (Fawcett)
15. Beware (Trojan) #5
16. Beware (Trojan) #9
17. Beware (Trojan) #11
18. Weird Mysteries #1 (Gillmor)
19. Weird Mysteries #5 (Gillmor)
20. Mysterious Traveller #1 (Trans-World)
21. Chilling Tales #17 (Youthful)
22. The Thing #1 (Charlton)
23. Witchcraft #4 (Avon)
24. Witchcraft #6 (Avon)
25. Voodoo #2 (Ajax)
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 01:59:23 AM »

Sorry again, but in looking at my last post, I realized that Witches Tales #18 was also posted here, so please substitute Witches Tales #5.

Here is the revised list, with publishers:
1. Web of Mystery #2 (Ace)
2. Web of Mystery #22 (Ace)
3. Mysterious Adventures #7 (Story)
4. Mysterious Adventures #23 (Story)
5. Beware #11 (Youthful)
6. Out of the Shadows #8 (Standard)
7. Out of the Shadows #12 (Standard)
8. Black Cat Mystery #32 (Harvey)
9. Black Cat Mystery #42 (Harvey)
10. Chamber of Chills #21 (Harvey, 1954 version)
11. Witches Tales #5 (Harvey)
12. Beware Terror Tales #8 (Fawcett)
15. Beware (Trojan) #5
16. Beware (Trojan) #9
17. Beware (Trojan) #11
18. Weird Mysteries #1 (Gillmor)
19. Weird Mysteries #5 (Gillmor)
20. Mysterious Traveller #1 (Trans-World)
21. Chilling Tales #17 (Youthful)
22. The Thing #1 (Charlton)
23. Witchcraft #4 (Avon)
24. Witchcraft #6 (Avon)
25. Voodoo #2 (Ajax)

MAN! You don't know HOW many of these books I just went through, guys. I spent the last day and a half going over and scanning books with Greg Sadowski for a new book he's working on. And you know what we discovered? (Heresy spoiler warning...!)

Most pre-code horror is not all that horrific. Not even very scary. Weird, yes. Occult, yes. Mysterious, they tried. But horrific? No so much. Much more Twilight Zone than Night of the Living Dead. And OVERWRITTEN? All too often. Take out EC and the (IMHO) poorly drawn but over the top Iger Shop efforts and you're left with some pretty potent Harvey stuff and a whole bunch of publishers, writers and artist who didn't really get it.

Not that it isn't fun or, on occasion, even well done, but Greg and I were constantly asking each other how Wertham EVER found all those examples in Seduction. I had never spent so much time focusing just on horror in decades and it was surprising.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 02:18:53 AM by JVJ »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Horror comics
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 02:08:09 AM »

The horror comics are very popular here and I believe second only to superhero in downloads. Not because they are scary but they are fun. Of all the books that I download I most rapidly open the horror. Much of the time it is to see if the art is signed. I make a not of that on the file name so I can go back in the future and add the info to the GCD. I have done several issues of Mysterious Adventures and have a few more to do. It looks like the speed of the GCD has improved with cover leech sites blocked. Hope to be able to add some more.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
Re: Horror comics
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 02:48:50 AM »

The horror comics are very popular here and I believe second only to superhero in downloads. Not because they are scary but they are fun. Of all the books that I download I most rapidly open the horror. Much of the time it is to see if the art is signed. I make a not of that on the file name so I can go back in the future and add the info to the GCD. I have done several issues of Mysterious Adventures and have a few more to do. It looks like the speed of the GCD has improved with cover leech sites blocked. Hope to be able to add some more.

Don't get me wrong, narf.
I LOVE the horror comics, too (as you might be able to tell by how many of them I have). It's just seeing hundreds of them at one sitting really brought home just how biased and selective Wertham's examples were. No, I'm a HUGE fan of the genre and didn't intend that my comments should be construed as not enjoying them. I'm happy that astrp3 is focusing on them. (and thanks to Geo for volunteering to scan the batch.)

Now that my part of the project with Greg is over, I can put the new lots to Geo and to Ontology into the mail tomorrow or Friday. I was holding off until I knew what Greg needed me to scan for him.

ip icon Logged

Astrp3

message icon
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 05:44:25 AM »

I agree with JVJ about the goriness of pre-code horror being over-exaggerated (Obviously, I also agree about loving horror comics).

Before I had read much pre-code horror, I remember reading in comics histories how many of the other publishers were even gorier than E.C.
At that point, the only pre-code horror I'd read (or so I thought) was E.C. and I remember thinking that if the the other stuff was even gorier and more horrific than E.C. I HAD to read it.
Now, having read about 3/4 of the pre-code horror stories, I don't see where they got the idea. To me, E.C. is far and away the goriest pre-code publisher (and the best overall). What other publisher would ever come up with using a cad's intestines for base paths?
Only a handful of other publishers really struck me as having much gore at all: Ajax/Farrell, Gillmor, Story (but only after they started to deliberately mimic E.C.), Superior (though only on occasion), and Harvey (though the gore was mostly limited to the covers). Of course, unbeknownst to me, I had actually read quite a bit of pre-code horror in the form of Eerie Publications remakes which often revelled in the gore.
Of couse, compared to today's horror movies, most of the pre-code horror pales in comparison (though E.C. still stacks up).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying gore is the be-all-and-end-all of pre-code horror - sometimes it can even be used as a crutch to prop up a poor story.
I enjoy a good gory ending as much as the next guy (actually, probably a bit more) but writing was always the main thing for me (even over art, which probably makes me rarity among comic fans).

Pre-code horror writing was a mixed bag. At its worst, it relied overly much on twist endings or formulaic plots (guess who's the vampire, the return from death etc). Oddly, while E.C. often relied on just these things, I think the writing and art (plus the humor) elevated them far above the rest of the pack. One of the things I like about publishers like Ajax/Farrell and Superior is that despite the Iger Shop art (I am not as turned off by it as JVJ but it certainly isn't my favorite) they often had plots that were just out there in sheer wackiness (killer pajamas, amorous baboons, living mandrake roots, a man's face eaten off by fish etc)

A lot of it is a matter of taste. In general, I love pre-code horror, but there some publishers who just don't do anything for me at all. Ficton House bores me to tears (not just the horror - good girl art never did anything for me). ACG was too tame (though I liked some of their stuff). I thought DC actually had some great plots but the stories were ruined for me by their insistence on supplying a "logical" non-supernatural ending (that was usually anything but logical).
The big one that I disagree with most on, however (and I'll probably get drummed off of GAC for daring to say so) is Atlas. They just didn't do it for me. They were OK, but I know some people who hold them second only to E.C. and I just don't get it. The art was OK, often great (though sometimes a bit muddy for my tastes) but the writing was often abysmal. Many of their stories were nothing more that bad jokes with a cheesy punch line at the end (seemingly an attempt to emulate E.C.'s twist endings and humor).
Don't get me wrong. Atlas had its moments and I still consider an afternoon reading Atlas horror time well spent, but they'd rank in the middle of the pack for me.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.