in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Hello from Switzerland

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Hello from Switzerland  (Read 1088 times)

Onthelamb

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Onthelamb
message icon
Hello from Switzerland
« on: July 10, 2016, 07:05:25 AM »

Hello,

I've just joined your website and what brought me here was Buz Sawyer.

Recent changes in modern comic books and their approach to my favorite characters made me realize I might have to look elsewhere to find a good read. I was always intrigued by Terry and the Pirates but never made the plunge until last year, but since have discovered so many interesting and engaging stories and situations in old newspapers strips that I have begun to collect them.

Currently on my night stand are Terry and the Pirates as well as Steve Canyon by Caniff, Buz Sawyer by Crane, Johnny Hazard by Robbins and a few others (Rip Kirby, etc.), but these are the ones that occupy a lot of my spare time. These have also been reprinted in nice editions but that's also where the trouble starts: while I think that we can kind of expect for Steve Canyon to be reprinted in its entirety in accessible volumes, a complete set of Johnny Hazard dailies and Buz Sawyer might very well not happen, which would be a shame.

I have begun to put together whatever I could find of Haz, thinking I could make myself a nice set of at least the last years before Robbins closed up shop, but it's hard to come by those Menomenee Falls Gazettes, especially those beyond issue 175, digital or otherwise. Buz Sawyer is the same deal, hard to come by, either by Crane or Schlensker.

So, a bit long-winded but I hope you'll forgive me for that, that's what brought me here.

I myself am a craftsman in print and books, run my own small studio and write and draw when I feel like it. I have found some very entertaining things on your site, which I applaud you for keeping available for posterity, especially a booklet like "I've got Wings" I read through the other day, it's just a pleasure.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 07:09:25 AM by Onthelamb »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Hello from Switzerland
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 01:45:08 PM »

Glad to have you here.  I'm sure we'll have lots more for you to enjoy.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 03:52:23 PM »

While they are not here, you need to read the Phantom newspaper strip. One of the best and one of my favs.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 04:19:08 PM »

Are there any indigenous golden age comics in your Country Sir? I'd like to know. Thank you.

Richard Boucher AkA Mr_Goldenage
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.