in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 131 - The Secret Voice #1

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 131 - The Secret Voice #1  (Read 3144 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 131 - The Secret Voice #1
« on: July 27, 2016, 05:49:20 PM »

Before I start I'd just like to thank Crashryan for his insight and first hand account of the Grit newspaper which has been puzzling of a few of us!!

I think it fair to say that last week's Spitfire Comics proved to be a nostalgic (and slightly tearful) hit with the group.

I somehow think that the same will not be said of this week's book. Which I believe to be a VERY WEIRD  Ajax-Farrell one shot. It is a single story (43 pages) comic. The Secret Voice #1 can be found here https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=26515

Have a good week .. Mark (AKA "The Black Mark" ... nope it just doesn't work for me!)

ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 131 - The Secret Voice #1
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 09:03:40 PM »

Sigh...America's # 1 Secret Weapon is....a Black Bugs Bunny Alien something or another. Geez what a waste this book was. I guess you could say that I really disliked this book or its "type". A real low point for Ajax-Farrell who were known for low "standard" in their approach to comics. Two thumbs down for me. Blah!

RB
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 12:10:23 AM »

Wow, was this a weird one. The art was all over the place, some really good...reminding me of the underground comic art of the 60's/70's that used to base itself on this sort of style. Some just lousy. The colouring was off-putting and made the whole thing look cheaper. But I read the whole thing all the way through. Reminded me of those social hygiene and social engineering comics and some of the Christian comics that came up later. I kept waiting for a religion or a philosophy to come out from behind the curtain and explain how they had all the answers. I had the feeling this is what L Ron Hubbard would have come up with if he wrote a comic book instead of 'Dianetics'. Positive thinking was a big deal right after the war, and has a long tradition in American thought. But why a bug? Was the author trying to convey the idea that good thoughts were a contagion? Would there have been a 'bad thought' Bug in a later issue, with the two leads going at each other like modern versions of the angel and devil figures that always showed up in Harvey toons? Very strange and interesting, I'll give it that. But I don't know if I liked it...
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 05:51:55 AM »

To quote Mel Brooks,
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 07:11:12 AM »

Yikes! From the cover I was expecting something serious and instead it's silly fluff.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 11:01:18 AM »

YIKES I can not add anything to what has been written so I will just concur. I am glad it was suggested because I like knowing what was out there. This is a comic reading group not a good comic reading group. I do not always suggest books because I liked them. I like having books of "interest. " Will I ever read it again? NO
ip icon Logged

neil meikle

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 05:39:52 PM »

Perhaps it's the colour scheme but if this reminds me of any comic then it's Detective Dan except done in more cartoony way. Back in those days even cartoon animals were used for war propaganda so it's no surprise that a comic like this was made. If the sequel The Post War Plan is ever posted I'll try reading that too. It's certainly different if nothing else.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 09:16:09 AM »

I bumped across this strange looking comic a while back, and wrote it down on "the list". I had a quick flick through before I chose it for this week's reading group. It looked plain weird. I hope it is good weird and not a bad weird!

Anyway off we go ... So it seems that "Paula Public" and many thousand others adore "The Secret Voice" and think he is a station gag.

I like some of the names. the station president Mr Staticwhisper and a Prof. Cunningham Smart.

But, please gentlemen use your spell checker! Necessary misspelt at least twice as "neccessary". Come on just the one "c"!!

So I am now finished and I hope I am "on the right beam" on this!!

This book certainly trivialized WWII, with "the bug" speaking to, Roosevelt, Churchill, Hitler and Truman  The enormity of the crimes committed, and also the human cost of the use of A-bombs, were still not fully recognized. But the book has a good heart and is of its time.

Finally, I see a comment from "wayback" in 2009 by barksc "If anybody has the sequel "The Post War Plan" - please post it, as I would love to read what these writers were planning for the world at this pivotal moment in history."  By the looks of it this was never published ... what a loss to humanity!

Verdict; A SMASH HIT!! Thankfully it was good weird It was Excellent! Read it now!

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 05:16:05 AM »

I just chose this book for The Reading Group to review, not knowing that it had been reviewed 5 years ago.  I'd like to add my 2 Euro Cents worth, if you all don't mind, given that this is such a weird book. 

This was a very interesting book choice for me, given that (1) I was a very-soon-after World War II baby;  (2) my father and uncle(next door neighbour), both with whom I grew up with every day of my young life, stormed Juno Beach at Normandy fighting The Nazis in June 1944, when fully half of their division was wiped out; and (3) the fact that our family is Jewish, and fully half of them (most of whom didn't escape from Holland to Canada before that war), were murdered by The Nazis in death camps (mostly Auschwitz).  And, (4) my father was wounded fighting The Germans.  So, I was intrigued to see how The War would be handled in this book. 

This book is also interesting to me because it is a Human character story, drawn in a realistic, rather than cartoony style, and being somewhat written in an historical novel style; but yet, in an unusual situation, has one, single, solitary "funny animal" character, as well.  It is a strange mixture of an espionage story, science fiction, a moral tale, and a public service national morale booster.

It seems, that this book was produced by a special publisher (Great American Comics), set up by Robert Farrell Publishing (Four Star Publications), to take on a World War II (War Propaganda) job from a US Government public service programme (whose distribution arm was American Features Syndicate).

I think it still should have had interesting relevance to today, given the recent rise in extreme nationalism, national narcissism, and racial hatred in many countries.

Unfortunately, the editor and story writer didn?t have a clear picture of what they wanted to do with the assignment, to meet the public service programme?s needs of boosting national morale during the latter part of the war effort, and getting The American People solidly behind The US Government?s actions taken during the war.   It?s a hodgepodge mess, with no real direction. 

Did the author want to show proof  that The Allies had the moral high ground, and The Axis Powers were the villains?  They didn?t show that.  Showing Nazi and Japanese atrocities would have made that point.  But, I think the editors felt that showing such things would be too gruesome for the little kiddies, and too political, given that The American, British, and French governments wanted a strong Germany,friendly to all of them after the war, to also help Germany withstand the threat of Russian Communism.  So, the representatives of the public service programme who gave out the contract, probably stated something to that effect before Four Stars writers even started writing a story scenario. 

The only other major thrust of the story is the part played by Little Cosmo, The Secret Voice.  Is this ?Voice of Right Thinking?, a surrogate for The Creator God of Western Religion?  If so, that couldn?t really be shown in such a comic book - especially one that is a propaganda tool funded by The US Government.  I think the writers of this story really put themselves in a no-win situation by using this insect as the holder of moral high ground, rather than just stating that The Allies were ?The Good Guys? because they are only reacting to The Axis Powers? aggression of invading other countries, and simply trying to save the latter, implying that The Axis powers are ?The Bad Guys?.  As ?right thinking? is never really defined, the reader doesn?t know why USA and its allies were ?in the right?, and ?The Axis Powers? were in the wrong, and why it is such a good thing that Hitler?s Germany was defeated, and why Americans should continue to gather scrap metal, paper, and other used sources of supplies for the war effort, and not have loose tongues, saying where their military family members are and what their military units are doing, to make sure The Japanese don?t get any extra help, until after they are defeated, and the war is over.  It seemed that not only did Four Star?s editors do a poor job of meeting the original intent of the contract, but probably the government programme interface person did a lousy job of communicating what his organisation (department) wanted as a product. 

The fact that CB+ and DCM don?t have scanned versions of  this book?s advertised sequel, ?Little Cosmo - Plan For The Future?, and that I?ve never seen a copy of it in almost 70 years of rummaging through used comic books, and no one else on this thread has ever seen it, means that it seems likely that it was never issued, and the story could well never have even had a scenario written - especially if the US Government programme that was sponsoring the first book, ?The Secret Voice?, didn?t like how that one ended up as a finished product.  I doubt that it sold much, and I?ll bet few people who read it would have been ready to mail away 25 cents to get an even more dull one-story book without even any war action scenes - only about plans to rebuild destroyed towns and cities, get food to a lot of hungry people, and build up new international trade systems.

The colouring is interesting, given that orange, cyan, yellow, and green are used.   That means that Red was available (therefor 4-colour process).  So, it seems that they didn?t colour it this way to save money, but seemingly, rather for mood effect.

The artwork (by Ronald Marcus) is also very interesting.  I can't remember coming across Marcus' name as an animation artist.  But, I assume that he must have drawn at least some other Human character semi-realistic comic book stories for US publishers during The Golden Age.  As stated above, some of the artwork is reasonably good, while other panels are amateurish.  I wonder if Marcus worked on other comic books.  I don?t believe I?ve ever seen his name connected with comic book art before this.  Has anyone else here?

Bottom line:  This book was a failure in my estimation, and I wouldn?t have bought it.  It was laborious to read, and very likely didn?t meet the purpose for its funding.  But, as an historian, I am glad I know about it.  It helps me get a better feeling for the state of the publishing industry just before I entered The World.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:23:23 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.