in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

A technical question on storage

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: A technical question on storage  (Read 4733 times)

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
A technical question on storage
« on: January 30, 2009, 01:31:18 AM »

Perhaps a bit out there; but I just bought my first iPod today.

I have a LOT of room on it after adding my music, does anybody know if it's possible to store other stuff on there?  (I'm specifically looking to back up my raws of Jim's books, is why I"m asking here.  But I wanted to know if it was even remotely possible before I start poking around.  A hard drive is a hard drive, right?)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: A technical question on storage
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 02:37:33 AM »

I do not know about ipod because Apple likes to do things proprietary but the mp3 players that I have had could store any file with a simple usb linkup
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 06:38:38 AM »

I'd suggest doing a Google on the product Eric.
ip icon Logged

Snard

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 02:32:53 PM »

Perhaps a bit out there; but I just bought my first iPod today.

I have a LOT of room on it after adding my music, does anybody know if it's possible to store other stuff on there?  (I'm specifically looking to back up my raws of Jim's books, is why I"m asking here.  But I wanted to know if it was even remotely possible before I start poking around.  A hard drive is a hard drive, right?)

Eric,

I don't know what model you bought, but I'm pretty sure the iPod I have shows up as a USB storage device when I plug it into my PC. I've never tried putting files on it because I don't want to use up the free space, but I would guess it should work.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 07:05:14 PM »

I'll do a little further research; it would likely just be a stopgap measure until I get another hard drive just for comics.  (That, and I'm a bit paranoid on backups- I've already got the files on both my desktop and laptop!)
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 10:37:01 PM »

I know for sure it can be done, but don't know personally.  My sister uses hers as portable storage, and there was recently a story that the Pentagon accidentally disposed of an iPod that was storing confidential documents.  If a military flunky who isn't smart enough to know "top secret" from "declassified" can do it...
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.