in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Searching The Original Comic

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Searching The Original Comic  (Read 1889 times)

cyboeg

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: cyboeg
message icon
Searching The Original Comic
« on: November 08, 2016, 09:18:48 AM »

Hello Forum Friends,

I am Searching for a comic and possibly the original name, but a little  background to explain.

There was a Children magazine weekly in Turkey,in 1960-1970? under the turkish name of "Cocuk Haftasi"
In that magazine there was a comic strip of 8 pages that went Under "Yildirim Kaptan" (Captain Flash). The hero was a normal space man but he had a scientis Friend (by the name Dr.Hunter in english) and his Robot Assistant by the name Dr.Klang) he had many adventures in  far off planets. but to this date  and inspite of a lot of searching I can not find the original name of this hero and the strip since it was translated into Turkish, the only  english names i could find was Dr.Hunter and his robot mate Dr.Klang.

can anyone help me to find out the original name, or he actual comic book, or has anyone evry remember seeing or reading about it. I am now a 68 yrs old man.. but I grew up with this magazine, an dit was the best Childrens weekly ever, the publisher is out of business long time and  no way i can find out so far.

I 'd appreciated very much if anyone can help me, and Thank you so much before hand.

P.S that is the only Image I could find  on the Net

Regards
Cyboeg
ip icon Logged

EHowie60

message icon
Re: Searching The Original Comic
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 05:29:40 PM »

Well I did find a few other images here: http://www.gittigidiyor.com/arama/?k=%22Yildirim%20Kaptan. I can't find much about this comic, especially since I can't read Turkish. How do you know it's a translation of an English comic?

Update: I found this (quite long) article about Dogan Kardes children's publications: http://www.ata.boun.edu.tr/scanneddocuments/tezler/Deniz_Arzuk_tez.pdf. On page 139 they have an example of Yildirim Kaptan. Also, on page 176 it lists the features that ran in the magazine along with Yildirim Kaptan. Some of those are marked as translated stories with the original author listed. No original author is listen for Yildirim Kaptan, so I would say it is probable that Yildirim Kaptan was an original character, found only in Cocuk Haftasi.

Update 2: Crashryan has gotta be right, the strips are an exact match. Yildirim Kaptan was Buck Rogers.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 02:18:42 PM by EHowie60 »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 05:43:03 PM »

Unfortunately none of the other pages show the helmet again, but I'm sure some other members will recognise the art.  I think this is from an American publication.  Then again, to quote the butler in The Big Sleep, "I make many mistakes"
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 09:43:38 PM »

The pages at your link are reprints of the Buck Rogers daily newspaper strip, drawn by George Tuska. Tuska drew the strip from 1959 to 1967. I don't believe the Tuska strips were reprinted in magazine form. You can find some of them on Ger Apeldoorn's blog. Here's a sample:

http://allthingsger.blogspot.com/2010/05/by-george-he-got-it-thursday-story.html

ip icon Logged

cyboeg

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: cyboeg
message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 01:01:08 AM »

To All the wonderful people who were kind enough to reply to my post, Thank you so very much for all info.
it did help me a lot to narrow my search, My special thanks  goes to Crashryan, as I think form  the memory the drawing style and some characters do look very familiar. and i shall pursue this. The only thing that makes me  wonder if the comic in the magazine was made up with  many others work and "Combined" Under the name "Yildirim Kaptan" as I remember that  the early drawings were of different styles, Like Dr.Klang, a sigar tube shaped Robot much like the "Bender" in Matt goerings cartoon of late comics i will pursue this  more.

Once again Thank you so very much to Crashryan, Paw broon, and EHowie60, you have done a wonderful job.

With Kind Regards to you all.

Cyboeg
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.