in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

R.I.P. Adam West

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: R.I.P. Adam West  (Read 2198 times)

neil meikle

• VIP
message icon
R.I.P. Adam West
« on: June 10, 2017, 08:35:18 PM »

I have just learned that Mr West has passed away. While the old Batman show may not have been to Bob Kane's approval it was a lot of fun and what got a lot of us into comics in the first place, indeed, it was what encouraged me to want to learn to read as a child so we have a lot to thank him for. Farewell caped crusader.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: R.I.P. Adam West
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 12:56:56 PM »

Sad news indeed.  I only recently was given a complete run of the series and had just started watching. While not a big fan at the time, I'm finding them rather enjoyable now. Enjoyment tinged with sadness.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 11:34:11 AM »

In a reverse of paw's attitude, I was a great fan at the time, but not so much today...though I think Frank Gorshin's Riddler and Burgess Meredith's Penguin are portayals that have never been topped by the modern versions.  Still, the series brought me a great deal of joy as a teenager, and I loved Adam's looney version of himself as the Mayor of Quahog in Family Guy.  RIP Adam West. 
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 05:52:54 PM »

I'm in the same boat as Neil. I was bouncing off-the-wall crazy for the Batman TV show when I was a little kid--and it's what got me interested in super-hero comics. And that helped my reading abilities enormously. That TV show literally changed my life and I could not love Adam West more for all that.

I feel sad for him, because he had a good acting career up to that point--and while Batman made him hugely famous, it got impossible for him to land other roles. That could have left him bitter and resentful, yet he overcame all that and went on to do great things with his life and his talent.
ip icon Logged

Kracalactaka

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Kracalactaka
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 07:28:13 PM »

when I was Growing up in the 70s , Adam West was Batman, period (and likewise with the 1966 Show's version of the Batmobile - That was (and still is) THE Batmobile and everything else is just some vehicle Batman happens to be driving.)

In adulthood of course I realized how silly Adam's Version was but that's part of the fun. His voice acting was always tops too. I am particularly fond of his Batman guest spots on old shows like Scooby-Doo and his work as Young Mermaid Man on SpongeBob. And last years DC animated film, Return of the Caped Crusader, was delightful.
ip icon Logged

Florian R. Guillon

message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 01:40:17 PM »

Adam West was the very first Batman I've ever seen on TV when I was 4. Then I rediscovered the series a few years ago and I found it very fun. Then I saw the films and read the Batman '66 comics, which I enjoyed for their humor.

But I'm sad to see that Adam West is barely remembered for playing another part besides Batman or himself. I saw him once in a Goosebumps episode playing an old superhero, but still, it was a nod to Batman.
ip icon Logged

Crimson-Blue-Green

message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 12:48:49 AM »

When I was very young I was watching a "Batman" rerun on TV.  The episode ended with a cliffhanger which made it appear that Batman was about to die.  I ran into the kitchen crying to my mom, "They're gonna kill Batman, Mom!"  A silly memory, but you can tell I was really into this show!  I also remember Adam West from a silly 1980s series "The Last Precinct".   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090469/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_103

I just read today that the Bat Signal will be lit up tonight in L.A.  http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-entertainment-news-updates-june-bat-signal-to-glow-at-l-a-city-hall-in-1497537015-htmlstory.html
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.