in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 170 - Super Mystery Comics v7 5

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 170 - Super Mystery Comics v7 5  (Read 2932 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 170 - Super Mystery Comics v7 5
« on: July 03, 2017, 05:29:21 PM »

Last week's choice Alarming Tales #1 was a Kirbyfest, which received a collective thumbs up from the group.

For this week we have a recommendation from one of our number (PLEASE send in more!). It is a really recent scan and looks great!

Super Mystery Comics v7 5 published by Ace Magazines, can be found here: https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=68879. The story we are concentrating on is the first one "Murder on the Menu ". However, I rather like the look of the second one featuring "The Unknown". So I guess it is going to be another c2c for me!

Happy reading!!

ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Week 170 - Super Mystery Comics v7 5
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 05:35:27 AM »

At first I didn't think I'd like this comic, but I was wrong. It's a satisfying read.

"Bert and Sue:" Someone ought to compile a list of all the comic-book knock-offs of Nick and Nora Charles. This pairing stresses detection over humor. Sue seems to do most of the detecting. The story is okay but it has logic problems. Sloan's plan to murder Hiller depends too much on chance. For it to work Hiller must first want to smoke, then he must smoke one of the planted cigarettes, then he must ask for water after smoking it. If Hiller hadn't wanted to smoke Sloan would have been out of luck. And what about the deadly water? It's offered to Hiller by someone other than the murderer, meaning Sloan poisoned the water in advance assuming that only Hiller would want to drink it. If Hiller had grabbed a glass of champagne instead, the wrong person might have drunk the water and wound up dead. The artwork is adequate. Something strange is going on in Sloan's glasses. It looks like the colorist tried to suggest either reflections or Sloan's eyes using color without an outline.

Being the only weird story, "The Unseen" doesn't fit with the rest of the mag. It's one of a thousand variations on the practical-joker-gets-his theme in comics. The ironic conclusion would have worked better if we'd been shown first how the shower was supposed to have worked. Sid Greene's art is the weakest in the book. Most young artists' early work shows a hint or two of their mature style. However I'm darned if I can recognize Greene in any of this.

By the way, my favorite joker-gets-his story was in a Charlton weird story comic. The joker does all kinds of rotten things, then dies. He awakes to find himself an angel in heaven. I guess I wasn't so bad after all, he thinks. Suddenly his wings fall off and flames billow around him. Satan steps into the panel saying, "What's the matter--can't you take a joke?"

"Mack Martin:" This is my favorite story in the issue. At first the art in turned me off, but I quickly began to enjoy it. Though his anatomy isn't always up to the task, the artist does a commendable job with interesting layouts and expressive hands. The artwork has a certain Rudi Palais vibe, but I don't know RP's work well enough to say this is his doing. The story is good of its type.

"Hurry Up Harrigan:" The art is the best part of this feature. True, the faces are a bit cartoony. The rest of the artwork makes up for that: good figures, good posing, good sense of place, good perspective. The artist really has a way with drapery. The folds on the men's jackets are worth studying. I know this comes out of left field, but the drawings remind me of Ralph Lane, the first artist on the Vic Flint newspaper strip. The script is okay, though with just one suspect the only mystery is how Johnson pulled off the murder. The opening scene made me do a double take. Harrigan sits down in a movie theater next to a woman he doesn't know and puts his arm around her, expecting her to be charmed. In fact it seems the reader is also expected to find the stunt amusing. I can't believe that even in 1948, anyone would think this is cool.

"Mr Risk:" This story opens like a chapter of a serial. We're dumped into the middle of a complicated story and the author acts as if we already know everything about it. If not for the splash panel logo I'd have wondered if a page was missing. Everything moves at a breathless pace. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the plot points don't add up (just what is the phone book bit all about?). Abdul is a refreshing change from most ethnic sidekicks. He's smart, speaks normal English, and holds up his end of the action. It's amusing, though, that "Chink," who is obviously supposed to be Chinese, speaks not in in stereotype comic-book Chinese dialogue, but in dem-dat-dose gangster patois. Artwork on this story is solid but unexciting.

My time reading this comic was well-spent. I liked everything, especially Mack Morgan.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 05:39:28 AM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

EHowie60

message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 04:59:38 PM »

Gotta say I love the cover. If I had been a kid in 1948, I'm pretty sure this issue would have gotten my dime. Very dynamic!

Maybe in hindsight they should have gotten the Vice President or someone to present the award to Hiller. Sue really knows her way around a case. I sort of wish Sloan had been named earlier; sort of lessens the mystery when I can't figure it out for myself. Ah, and the old "tip the drugged drink into the plant" bit, a classic. And finally, stop whining, Bert. Sue *did* do all the detective work and you know it.

The Unknown: oooh what a mysterious narrator! This sort of thing shows up in crime comics sometimes: "Fate" or "Law" or "Justice" as a narrator foretelling the bad guy's downfall. The author does a really good job of making us hate Quegg. I'm not sure how waking up in an upside-down room would drive someone crazy though. The last "prank" looks more like something a super villain would leave Billy Batson in. But in the end, as always, we find that JOKES DO NOT PAY. ...Wait that doesn't sound right.

Mack Martin: I would like to echo Jeri and ask what he means by the remark "I catch sour tomatoes too".

Hurry-Up Harrigan: The artists in this book have a thing for dramatic splash panels. I like the expressions on Harrigan's face, especially when he gets irate with the guy in the theater. The plot is a new one for me; no one ever seems to consider that clocks can be set manually.

Mr. Risk: talk about your in media res! I agree with crashryan, it's amusing how "Chink" speaks like a mobster. Actually I sorta like the contrast between how he speaks and how most Asian characters in old comics speak.

Overall a nice crime comic with some dynamic art. An enjoyable read.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 07:25:27 AM »

Murder On The Menu - Cute.

The Unknown - Eh. Not a bad idea, but I just didn't care for the finished story.

Mack Martin - There were a few points where I wasn't sure if the writing was just bad or if the author was using slang terms he thought the reader would understand. Sub-par.

Secrets Behind The Bloodstains - Interesting article. The GCD lists this as before the Mack Martin story rather than after, so is the scan in the correct order or the GCD?

The Airtight Alibi - Cute.

Mr. Risk - Chink? The gang leader is named Chink? I guess we should be glad he was Asian instead of black. Yikes! Uncle Ben was killed? If only Spider-Man had stopped that crook!  ;) Not that good of a story, but I had fun making fun of it.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 07:31:56 AM »

Mack Martin: I would like to echo Jeri and ask what he means by the remark "I catch sour tomatoes too".

Tomato is a slang term for a good-looking woman. Sour means she's not sweet.  ;)
ip icon Logged

John Kerry

message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 04:39:55 PM »

I sort of wish Sloan had been named earlier; sort of lessens the mystery when I can't figure it out for myself. .

Sloan is actually introduced on the second page of the story. I enjoyed the Bert and Sue story myself. Of course I had the daughter pegged as being the culprit. Ah well. It did though seem that the plot relied on too many things conveniently happen. The art was fine. I am usually happy with the art as long as it doesn't get in the way of the story.
The Unknown story wasn't bad. As far as practical jokers go Quegg takes things a bit too far. He doesn't seem to think out the possible repercussions of his "jokes". The ending was pretty predictable in that we knew one of his pranks would backfire on him.
It seems to me there was a Mr. Risk comic at some point. Not sure if this is the same character or not though. Story wasn't bad.
The rest of the contents of the book were reasonably good. I certainly would have bought another issue of this one based on this issue's content.
One thing though. Seems to me that another issue of this title has been read by this group but it had a completely different set of characters.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 11:18:38 PM »

You're right, John, for Week 99 we read Super-Mystery Comics v2 02, back when the title starred superheroes instead of detectives.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 12:38:05 AM »

Great cover and for once the inside pretty much holds up to the promises made the cover. And how often does hat happen? Nice read all the way through. Ups and downs, but over all nicely done.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 03:28:28 PM »

I'm in catch up mode as I should have read this a few weeks ago. I am very glad that I made the time to do so now

Bert and Sue: This was a great little story. It reminded me a bit of Hart To Hart (not that I see that as a recommendation). Mind you as I haven't seen that program for over thirty I could be way out. So forget I said it.

The Unknown: I really liked the art work in this. It was also grizzly little tale with James Quegg coming to a sticky (albeit wet) end .

Mack Martin: For some reason I found this a bit of a struggle. I think mainly as there were "too many words"
A confession I feel slightly ashamed about when talking about a comic book.

Hurry-Up Harrigan: In the "reporter / investigator wearing his hat at a jaunty angle" genre. The story wasn't bad though

Mr. Risk: I was not sure what the "Hindu Trick" reference was about. I assume it is the Indian Rope trick and seeing no signs of a rope growing up out of a basket distracted me throughout the story. I think it was probably good though.

The Jowett System: (our page 51) might give you muscles like a bull, but is doesn't look like it will do much for your complexion.

Verdict: A hit. Variety and good story lines, the Unknown was the best. This is exactly the sort of book I'd spend my hard earned chore money on.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.