in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 179 - America's Biggest Comics Book

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 179 - America's Biggest Comics Book  (Read 5319 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 179 - America's Biggest Comics Book
« on: September 20, 2017, 04:59:07 PM »

After last week's 25 page story I thought why not extend ourselves a little bit further and read a slightly larger comic c2c?  So I found this one with 197 pages, which I think will be just what we need.

It's OK I am JOKING!!

I thought that this might make a great book for a "free for all". So, dip in and choose whatever you want to read and report back on it! Here is the link to the book https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=20220.

Which brings me to a question I have. A couple of years ago I saw one of our books which was a largish compendium a bit like this. There was some really cool stuff in it, including a story about a cat who worked as a waitress ... or ran a bar or something like that. For the life of me I can't find it. Anyone know??

Happy reading!!

ip icon Logged

John Kerry

message icon
Re: Week 179 - America's Biggest Comics Book
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 07:20:14 PM »

Well I shall try to read this one cover-to-cover. I'll let you know what I think of it in a few months when I get it finished.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 06:53:42 AM »

Mark, I believe the book you are thinking of was Ribtickler #1 from Week 32. Pussy Katnip was the catgirl.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 07:12:35 AM »

No it wasn't her ... the book was bigger with some great art in it ... but memory is a funny thing
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 11:02:27 AM »

The Silver Knight - Okay story, but ye olde English terminology got annoying quickly.

Flares In The Night - Okay for the type of story it was. Although when I read a story like this I do wonder at how easily teenage boys are depicted as being killing machines who don't show any regret or remorse at all the death and destruction they are causing. More fun, more people killed.  ;)

Barnaby Beep - Not very funny.

Zudo the Jungle Boy - Okay for this type of story.

Thunderhoof - Eh, okay.

Little Oliver - I thought these were supposed to be funny animals?

Sea-Scribe - Okay. Probably the best one so far.

Funny Bees-Ness - The funniest funny animal story so far... of course, the bar was set so low, that's not saying much.

G.I. Andy - Eh.

Jocko and Socko - If the writers don't know how to be funny, why do they keep trying?

The Grim Reaper - Okay.

Kangarube - Didn't actually laugh, but I'll give 'em credit for trying.

Brian Boru - Okay.

Commando Cubs - Okay.

He's No Milk Cow-Ard - Almost amusing.

Spotty - Aaaaaand back to not that funny.

Tasman - Interesting.

Looie Lazybones - Ugh. A Li'l Abner ripoff.

Ozzie - Eh.

Commando Cubs third story - Good thing these kids keep lucking into situations where their presence saves the day or they'd probably be arrested for all the shenanigans they pull. Could almost be a drinking game, whenever they do something that a soldier would get arrested for take a drink.

Little Otto - Okay.

Thunderhoof second story - Eh, okay.

Pansy Pigeon - Amusing.

G.I. Johnston - Not bad.

Li'l Cheesit - Okay.

Rufus - Okay.

Weak on the humor front, okay on the action/adventure front.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 06:06:35 AM »

Kind of noticed this when reading it, but it's only as it's been marinating in my brain that I realized that perhaps it is worthy of mention.

Pokey in the three Commando Cubs stories is black, but, as far as I could tell, he didn't seem to be written in a stereotypical way, and just seemed to be a normal boy in the story. Which considering how some black people are written in 1940s comics is a refreshing change.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 08:02:25 AM »

Actually, SuperScrounge, I picked up on that first thing with that story. No big lips. No being scared or brainless. It was nice to see. Sort of a step beyond the Bowery Boys. (Okay, I also had a good laugh over the name WHIZZER for one of the kids...) But man, talk about a deal! 197 pages for 50 cents? Reminded me of that Simpsons episode when Mr. Burns said; "I once watched "Gentleman" Jim Corbett fight an Eskimo fellow bare knuckled for 113 rounds! Of course, back then, if a fight lasted less then 50 rounds we demanded our nickel back." You got deals in the 40's. I skimmed past the funny animal art and stuck to the adventure stories. And, right on cue after talking about Burroughs off shoots, last week, we have Zudo. (Judo with zoo animals?? I don't know...)  Thunderhoof didn't seem to have much star power for me, but Silver Knight and most of the others had good enough art to keep things going. And what do you know? Herman Melville!
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 04:13:19 AM »

This is one fat comic book! It took a while but I worked my way through it. Turns out there was much to like. I won't go over everything; I'll just hit the high points.

Storywise I liked the adventure and historical features best. First prize goes to "The Silver Knight." It boasts a meaty story and decent artwork. Thick "authentic" dialogue usually turns me off, but I don't mind it here. One gets the impression that the author did his research. The credit block says Kinstler inked this...I don't see it.

Coming in a very close second is--believe it or not!--"Thunderhoof." I hate horse stories! But here we have interesting plots well told, enhanced by August Froelich's excellent artwork. His horse drawings are terrific. If anything this good had appeared in Charlton's Black Fury I might have become a fan.

The hero stories are less appealing. "The Commando Cubs" are certainly a bloodthirsty bunch. Sending an entire shipload of men to the bottom, even if they were Nazis, seems a bit cold for a pack of middle-schoolers. As others have remarked, the writer treats Pokey with unusual respect. In the first story he's not only a key figure in the group's success, a few times he even forgets to speak in dialect. Everyone must start somewhere, but I can't see any of Bob Oksner's future greatness in these tales.

I like "The Grim Reaper" as a character, but the story isn't much. That zeppelin flies more like a Flash Gordon rocket than an airship. Al Camy is a king of "meh" art.

The humor strips...well, let's start by saying something nice. Most of the artwork is quite good, especially that by Don Christensen and Ken Hultgren. The stories, though, are just plain baaaaad. I did laugh at one joke (probably stolen): Kangarube refusing to buy the Brooklyn Bridge because his father had already bought it.

A standout humor strip is "Barnaby Beep," which boasts lousy artwork to match its lousy script. Also worth mentioning are Art Gates' two strips. His pseudo-Al Capp style is rather pleasant, particularly on "Looie Lazybones."

Final judgement: a decent way to fill a whole lot of free time.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 04:21:07 AM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 03:21:24 PM »

Like crash, I rather enjoyed The Silver Knight.  His magic sword didn't seem very magic.  Knights and historicals and pirates are usually entertaining. As for the rest of this big comic, the humour and animal strips did nothing for me, and The Commando Cubs are a bit o.t.t.
The Grim Reaper tale - great name but a costume not quite up the standard of The Black Terror - was good fun.  The noose is a bit Hangman like. But the zeppelin?  Could it still fly with armour?  And the maneuverability is too much for a gasbag. Still, why spoil the action, and there's a lot of it.  Goes like the clappers.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 04:39:35 PM »

Blimey! This is one BIG BOOK I take my hat off to the gallant Reading Group members who managed to read this c2c. I started and gave up half way through the first story at precisely this point

"St. George's peace be with you masters! Have you seen aught of a falconer yonder"

I really hate fake archaic language!! I then tried story by story, and to be honest  (and please don't tell anyone else) I only really read and enjoyed the animal funnies. My favourite being "Funny Bees-Ness" by Manuel Perez.

197 pages of comic stories and I choose that one. I guess I ought to be shot!
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 09:29:09 PM »

As a new member of this reading group, and a creator of funny animal and humour comic book stories, I decided to post contributions to all the older comic book threads finished before I joined, which cover books with substantial amounts of funny animal and cartoony human comedy stories.  This 197 page book includes several funny animal and comedic stories. 

However, as i flipped through the book, I was reminded of the interesting aspects of the "Commando Cubs" story I noticed when I first read that story some years ago, when I obtained a copy of this book. So, I will review that story as well.

1) The Commando Cubs
This story is just too ridiculous even given that we know that USA has always been very Chauvanistic, and would have been even moreso during WWII (Book is from early 1944).  First of all, there is a big problem in that this appears to be the last episode of a serialised story, as The Commando Cubs (American school-aged kids)are in southern England, seemingly on a school educational tour, but are traveling un-chaparoned, probably right in the restricted staging area for test maneuvers and staging for D-Day.  Why are US children in England (a war zone) during the height of a World war???  Why are they allowed to be away from the adults in charge of their care?  Why are they allowed to roam free in a military restricted area?  It's hard to believe that the British, Canadian, and US military security forces guarding their training areas would not only miss seeing a bunch of American teenagers, but also civilians who are behaving suspiciously, not in military disguise, who just happen to be German spies.  What are these suspicious-looking civilians doing in a military zone?  Why have they not been stopped and questioned?  If they have been, why did the authorities fall for their excuses (they couldn't have had reasonable ones), and let them continue to roam freely?

Also, it seems very strange that those teenagers could take a boat and navigate their way from southern England to the specific spot in Norway where The British military intelligence had a sabotage mission planned, and then actually carry out that mission, lose their ship, and escape the German troops, find a small motor boat, and take that back to England without maps, and avoid all the German patrol ships guarding the coast of Norway. 

I understand that young male readers like to imagine themselves as being great, brave, and strong heroes.  But this is wayyyyyy too much to believe, and because of that, would have taken most of the potential enjoyment of reading a story with this general plot.  This is a similar reaction I got to the superhero stories.  Even at 5 or 6 years old, I'd have hated this story for insulting my intelligence.  I know for a fact that there were some Norwegian children that even risked their lives helping in the underground war effort, and became  heroes.  But they did things that were actually possible.  Even at 6 years old, I'd rather have read a comic book story that had a plot I could believe.  That's why I've always liked a lot of real science in my science-fiction, and hated pure fantasy (that bears no resemblance to The World I have experienced all my life up to the time I read the story (whether at 3, 6, 12, or 74 years old).  This story could have been adventurous, with a young boy as lead character, but in a more plausible way, such as Robert Louis Stevenson's stories like "Kidnapped" or "Treasure Island".  The other two episodes in the book were also ridiculously unbelievable, and the artwork also subpar, having the figures quite distorted when trying to portray action.

2) Barnaby Beep - (Written and Drawn by Carl Wessler)
This story (and I use the term loosely) was written strictly for laughs, but wasn't likely to get too many.  The artwork was a little bit lower than average quality for funny animal comics of 1944, but that was the best feature of this weak story with a few low-brow jokes, and an uninspired, expected, slightly ironic ending.  A big disappointment.  A timid fraidy-cat, afraid of his own shadow, aspires to getting into a fraternity who only accepts brave members.  On his "try-out" testing night, he doesn't have money for a cab, so he takes the shortcut to the clubhouse walking through a graveyard and being scared by ghosts.  He gets to the club where the existing members haze and abuse him, until the last test, where he is taken, blindfolded to the 
site of his final test.  Of course it is the graveyard where he'd been before. Very much an obvious cliche story, with little thought given.  Actually, I expected him to be led to a haunted house where he'd have to "live through the entire night" to pass his test.

3) Little Oliver
I don't know what type of "animal-person" Oliver is supposed to be.  He looks like a beaver/Squirrel half-breed.  The artwork is not very good - especially considering that William H. Wise got its artists from Sangor's shop of ex-animators.  The story is lousy, too.  The hero goes to a fraudulent fortune reader (what other kinds are there?), who tells him to be assertive, while Butch, the criminal thug, who is also a rival for Oliver's girl, goes to the same swami, who tells HIM to behave meekly.  The thug finds out that the swami was a fraud, so he finds Oliver again to beat him up, but luck helps Oliver knock him out, instead.  And on top of the story morals ending wrongly, Oliver tells his girl, in the last panel, that "there was a moral to what happened to Butch.  Not much originality or thought in this story, either.

3) Funny Bees-Ness (Drawn by Al Hubbard)
The artwork is very good in this one.  I think it might be Al Hubbard, who drew several stories starring Bees and ants for Sangor during the early to mid 1940s.  The story is a play on the ancient fable of "The Grasshopper and The Ant".  There are a lot of nicely-staged action panels and great facial and body-language expressions, and nice physical gags.  Very nice story for fans of comic art (especially animated action fans).  This was probably the highlight of the book for me.

4) Jocko and Socko
One look at the monkey main characters, and their names telegraphs that this story is going to be nothing but slapstick, with a plot that's not for deep-thinking intellectuals. Jocko, the smart one (only by default) hypnotizes his moronic friend (Socko) into thinking he's a lion, and he almost eats Jocko. Then, trying to win $100 (a LOT of money in 1944) for staying in the boxing ring with a giant, mean-looking mauler, he tries to hypnotize the mauler into thinking he is just a 3-year old kid.  Unfortunately, as any cartoon fan might have guessed, Socko gets hypnotized instead.  Of course things look bad (suspense is needed), but, also as we guessed, the mauler doesn't have the heart to hit a little kid.  Socko, acting like a little kid, ties the boxer;s shoes together and he trips and hits his head on a post, and is knocked out.  The boxer ran away from the arena to avoid having to pay the $100.  But Jocko and Socko run after him, unafraid because Jocko can hypnotize him (so they think).  Unfortunately, the hit on the head made him cockeyed, so he can't look Jocko in the eyes.   The gags are expected cliches, and the story ends with a horrible pun.  The artwork is a little lower than average quality for its time.  So, this story is nothing special.

5) Kangarube - (Written and Drawn by Karran Wright)
A country hick farmer boy (kangaroo) goes off to the big city to get a job. A crooked crocodile-man sees him as a stupid patsy, and tries several times to fleece him of his money, even dressing up as a woman.  The Croc tries to sell him 50 wooden nickles (cliche) for $1, but the Rube has to test it.  A gambling slot machine
just happens to be standing on the street just next to him.  Needless to say, he puts the "nickel" in and wins the jackpot (hundreds of real nickels), so he doesn't need to buy the wooden ones. The end is abrupt, and unexpected, with the Croc just having a disgusted expression while the Rube gathers up the nickels.  Not much of a "story".  The artwork is okay on the figures, but there are almost no backgrounds.  Very disappointing.

6) Sappy Happy Hyena - "He's No Cow-Ard" (Drawn and written by Don R. Christensen)
A very slapstick, animation action-driven gag-driven "story".  The art is good.

7) Spotty The Missing Lynx & Silly Civet (Drawn and written by Don R. Christensen)
The lead characters are peddling acid-based spot remover, which angers their potential customers.  They meet a leopard who wants his spots removed. They paint him solid black, and he's satisfied until rain washes it off.  He's still angry, so they cut off all his hair, which also removes his spots. An unexpected, funny ending.  The art is very good (action and expressions).  All in all, worth reading.

8} Little Otto (drawn and written by Wilky)
This 3-pager is a stretched out pantomime gag.  Otto is commanded by his drill sergeant to drive his jeep to the parade grounds to practise driving it. Before he can even drive away from his barracks area, he crashes into a cabin, demolishing it.  Clearly not able to control it at fast speeds, he races his jeep up and down steep hills, off roads, across streams, knocking down rows of tall trees, racing through formations of marching soldiers, almost killing them, through road signs, and screeches to a halt right in front of his sergeant.  Last panel, we see him in the last panel, eating in the mess hall with all the other soldiers, but he has 3 pillows tied to his rear end, and is standing while eating.  Apparently, his sergeant gave his butt a good kicking.  Not very funny, and the art isn't very good. 

9) Pansy Pigeon
About a female pigeon-person, who has joined The PAC (Pigeon Air Carriers (instead of being a WAC).  She's very happy to serve her country in its time of need. On an important mission she's captured by The Nazis.  Hitler is a "pig" who speaks with a mixed German and Brooklyn, New York accent.  Grilled under hot lights, she staunchly refuses to spill valuable information. Pansy was a hero for giving up phony plans instead of the real ones, leading Pigler (Hitler) and his army into a trap, where he was captured.  The last panel has Pansy telling women they should join the PACS (meaning WACS in real life) - a wartime advert to get citizens to help the war effort.  That same ending was in the last panel of each episode of The Commando Cubs, asking kids to gather paper and other supplies needed for the war effort.

10) Rufus (Drawn and Written by Ken Hultgren)
A crooked bear-person, tries to cheat Rufus, a country hick monkey-person (dressed like Edgar Bergen's country hick puppet, Mortimer Snerd) to get even with him for outsmarting him in the past.  The crook and his Rat sidekick talk Rufus into playing a friendly card game (poker), despite the rube's protests that he doesn't know how to play. They cheat him out of a lot of money, but see he has a lot more.  They stop him from leaving by offering him a special soda drink (made with gasoline, kerosene, and dynamite)-hoping it will knock him unconscious so they can take all his money.  Of course, the hick LIKES the drink, and wants more. The crooks hit him on his head and take the money to a bank to open their own account. But the teller calls for the police.  Rufus is visiting the 2 crooks outside their jail window.  He tells them the man who gave it to him said it was "hot money", but he felt it was cold.  The crooks cringe in frustration.  This plot is the exact format of Hultgren's series for Giggle Comics that started maybe a few months later that same year.  The artwork was excellent, as always with Hultgren.  The story was not bad.  As usual, the expressions on the characters were really great.  This was the highlight of the book, for me.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 10:20:58 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 06:09:24 PM »

Rob K
Your criticism of the Commando Cubs story reminds me of a German propaganda screed aimed at the Superman Comics of that era. Lighten up, its not Adult Fiction, Few Adult Fiction stories are much more believable for that matter.
There were plenty of Americans living in the UK with their families during WW2, military officers, diplomatic staff, scientists and engineers, staff of American owned companies, etc. Its likely those American kids going to English schools would hang together.
The US Boy scouts had a Sea Scouts branch that taught kids to navigate and handle seagoing boats including sail boats. Those youngsters often would later join the navy or merchant marine.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 08:25:55 PM »

Rob K
Your criticism of the Commando Cubs story reminds me of a German propaganda screed aimed at the Superman Comics of that era. Lighten up, its not Adult Fiction, Few Adult Fiction stories are much more believable for that matter.
There were plenty of Americans living in the UK with their families during WW2, military officers, diplomatic staff, scientists and engineers, staff of American owned companies, etc. Its likely those American kids going to English schools would hang together.
The US Boy scouts had a Sea Scouts branch that taught kids to navigate and handle seagoing boats including sail boats. Those youngsters often would later join the navy or merchant marine.

Your points are certainly valid.  I shouldn't have brought up the question of why a bunch of American kids would be running around England, unchaparoned.  American children in an English school probably would hang out together.  But, my point about them going to a distant foreign country and pulling off a military operation against armed, professional soldiers during a war, returning on a stolen boat, through highly-patrolled enemy waters, as heroes, and then returning to school without the teacher knowing where they were, after having gone missing from a school field trip, is just too much to take.  The boys would have been reported missing, their teacher dismissed from his position.  The parents would have been frantic.  Assuming the field trip was a Friday afternoon, and they were gone for just the weekend, it's too ridiculous that the teacher thinks nothing of their behaving normally when returning to school the following Monday morning.  They'd have been sent immediately to the headmaster.

Sorry for this rant.  I know that most young boys of comic book age, like to see boys having great adventures and behaving bravely and heroically, and wouldn't question their ability to have those nice situations occur.  I have weird taste, based on the fact that I had a rough youth, never really being allowed to be a child.  I bet it seems weird that I'm a fan of comic books, and even a professional creator, myself.  I guess it takes all kinds to make The World.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 06:52:08 PM »

A couple of years ago I saw one of our books which was a largish compendium a bit like this. There was some really cool stuff in it, including a story about a cat who worked as a waitress ... or ran a bar or something like that. For the life of me I can't find it. Anyone know??   

Sorry Mark, for answering this question so late.  I saw this thread soon after joining this forum in early 2019, and I was ready to answer, and found the book with the story.  But, I had read hundreds of threads new to me that first day, and forgot which one had your question.  Then, about 2 months ago, I found the thread again, but, for some crazy trick of memory, I couldn't find the book.  But, now I have found it.

The feature in question was "Sleepin' Lena" who was a funny animal Cat person, drawn and written by German-born artist, Erich F. T. Schenk.  In each new story, Lena would have just started on a new job in a new type of employment.  But, she had the disease we now call "Sleep Apnia".  She'd always have a lazy and half-hearted attitude towards her new job, based on the racist stereotype of a lazy, dimwitted African-American servant.  She would start off by being bored or going overboard, giving customers more than they deserved.  She was the ultimate terrible employee.  She'd always start off with the attitude that "this new job will be easy to handle" (a snap), (e.g. she'd finally succeed at keeping a job for more than one day).  But, then, she'd always fall asleep, and lose her job on her first day, as ALWAYS happened!  (Back in the late 1800s till the mid 20th Century, "Sleepin' Lena" was a generic term for a woman who slept a lot, or had sleep apnia).

The particular story you remember was from La Salle Publishing's "Merry-Go-Round" 132 page giant one-shot comic from 1945.  It was the one in which Lena was a soda jerk in a soda fountain inside a candy store.  The boss had to go somewhere, and left the store.  She told him she could handle things.  Immediately, she served a cat man who ordered several different fancy sodas.  But she gave him only ice cream sodas.  Soon after, she got bored, and fell asleep in the middle of running the soda machine.  Crazy things happen in a dream, reminiscent of a surreal Winsor McKay "Rarebit Nightmare".  The machine ran and ran, while she was sleeping, pouring soda, milk, chocolate syrup, and ice cream all over the fountain area, and the rest of the store.  The owner returned, had a fit, and, as expected, fired her.  She left the store, somehow rationalising that it wasn't her fault, and soothing herself, that it was no loss, as the job was boring, anyway.

The story, like the 3 others of hers I've seen and I possess, was untitled.  They were all from 1944 and 1945, and were produced by The Sangor Studio's East Coast office, for La Salle Publishing.  A second story, also in the "Merry-Go-Round" Giant, featured Lena in a grocery Store.  Perhaps a 3rd is in La Salle's "Funnybone Comics", a giant comic also from 1945, which, unfortunately, has not yet been scanned for public display.

Below are some key pages from the two stories described above:

Soda Fountain story:

Grocery Store story:

« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 10:10:26 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 09:05:26 AM »

Wow well done .. that has to be the baby. Eventually :) I thought she was a Private Detective ... but that must be a memory problem. Many thanks a mystery solved
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2020, 11:15:28 AM »

Robb, Glad you bought this character to our attention. But!
she had the disease we now call "Sleep Apnia".  She'd always have a lazy and half-hearted attitude towards her new job, based on the racist stereotype of a lazy, dimwitted African-American servant.  She would start off by being bored or going overboard, giving customers more than they deserved.  She was the ultimate terrible employee.  She'd always start off with the attitude that "this new job will be easy to handle" (a snap), (e.g. she'd finally succeed at keeping a job for more than one day).  But, then, she'd always fall asleep, and lose her job on her first day, as ALWAYS happened!  (Back in the late 1800s till the mid 20th Century, "Sleepin' Lena" was a generic term for a woman who slept a lot, or had sleep apnia).

Having a 'lazy and half-hearted attitude towards a job' is not a characteristic of somebody with Sleep Apnea
I have Sleep Apnea myself. Basically, in some people, quite commonly if you get older, and particularly if you have a sedentary job like a Truck Driver - where you don't get a lot of physical exercise,or if you are overweight, work night-shifts regularly or keep bad hours like regularly staying up most of the night, you may not enter deep sleep at night because your throat constricts and you - for a microsecond- stop breathing. You are not at all aware of this. So your body kick-starts itself, without waking you.This can happen multiple times during a night. I wasn't conscious of this but my wife certainly was. At the time and for many years after,I was working from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm 5 days a week as a teacher, a lot of that time multi-tasking, keeping tabs on up to 30 students and constantly on my feet. And quite alert. What did happen tho, was when I came home in the evening, I would nod off in a chair for about an hour.
When I realized why that was happening, and when I put a medical remedial program in place, I ceased doing that. You wouldn't believe how common sleep Apnea is. Many people would have the condition [not a disease] and be completely aware of it.
Hey, I'm not angry, offended or upset. just wanted to set the record straight!
Cheers!           
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2020, 05:38:06 PM »

Robb, Glad you bought this character to our attention. But!
she had the disease we now call "Sleep Apnia".  She'd always have a lazy and half-hearted attitude towards her new job, based on the racist stereotype of a lazy, dimwitted African-American servant.  She would start off by being bored or going overboard, giving customers more than they deserved.  She was the ultimate terrible employee.  She'd always start off with the attitude that "this new job will be easy to handle" (a snap), (e.g. she'd finally succeed at keeping a job for more than one day).  But, then, she'd always fall asleep, and lose her job on her first day, as ALWAYS happened!  (Back in the late 1800s till the mid 20th Century, "Sleepin' Lena" was a generic term for a woman who slept a lot, or had sleep apnia).

Having a 'lazy and half-hearted attitude towards a job' is not a characteristic of somebody with Sleep Apnea
I have Sleep Apnea myself. Basically, in some people, quite commonly if you get older, and particularly if you have a sedentary job like a Truck Driver - where you don't get a lot of physical exercise,or if you are overweight, work night-shifts regularly or keep bad hours like regularly staying up most of the night, you may not enter deep sleep at night because your throat constricts and you - for a microsecond- stop breathing. You are not at all aware of this. So your body kick-starts itself, without waking you.This can happen multiple times during a night. I wasn't conscious of this but my wife certainly was. At the time and for many years after,I was working from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm 5 days a week as a teacher, a lot of that time multi-tasking, keeping tabs on up to 30 students and constantly on my feet. And quite alert. What did happen tho, was when I came home in the evening, I would nod off in a chair for about an hour.
When I realized why that was happening, and when I put a medical remedial program in place, I ceased doing that. You wouldn't believe how common sleep Apnea is. Many people would have the condition [not a disease] and be completely aware of it.
Hey, I'm not angry, offended or upset. just wanted to set the record straight!
Cheers! 

Thanks for explaining what Sleep Apnea is. 

It's reasonable to assume that Schenk wanted to show that Lena was a bad employee, whose bad attitude regarding her responsibilities as an employee, and poor work ethic, made her about as bad a choice for hiring as an employer can make.  That made the the story's ending ironic, but predictable.  It seems that Schenk was making fun of people who have a casual attitude towards work, and specifically, their responsibilities as an employee, and when they fail to improve their status and conditions in life, they blame that on others.  The fact that Lena is a black-coloured cat, who wears a cleaning woman's or house servant's outfit, might mean that he is using a racist stereotype of that time in USA, of a Black house servant is lazy (doesn't like to work), and blames the problems she causes on other people. 

This series is based on Lena being just about the worst possible candidate for being hired for a job, and her going from new job to new job and being fired on the first day of each one.  In each job she falls asleep and does destructive things to her employer's store or office, while "living" inside a surrealistic dream.  Given that, having her fall asleep out of boredom, rather than sleep apnea, emphasises her character's flaws, which make her sour grapes attitude (that's no problem - that job was beneath me, anyway) at the end of all stories more ironic.  So, I shouldn't have even mentioned sleep apnea, as that makes her failure less her fault, and so, less ironic, and she becomes a more sympathetic character, deserving of empathy.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2020, 08:59:03 PM »

For the record, the chronic condition where someone falls asleep all the time is narcolepsy. It's a chronic condition that can really screw with your life. I once talked with a guy with narcolepsy. He said he couldn't drive because he never knew if he'd fall asleep at the wheel. Here's a description from the Mayo Clinic site:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcolepsy/symptoms-causes/syc-20375497
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2020, 09:59:37 PM »

For the record, the chronic condition where someone falls asleep all the time is narcolepsy. It's a chronic condition that can really screw with your life. I once talked with a guy with narcolepsy. He said he couldn't drive because he never knew if he'd fall asleep at the wheel. Here's a description from the Mayo Clinic site:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcolepsy/symptoms-causes/syc-20375497

Thanks for pointing that out.  Narcolepsy is what I meant.  However, after analysing Schenk's 2 stories more deeply, it is clear that to be consistent with what story he was trying  to portray in his series, the fault should ALL be the lead character's doing from choice (character flaws), to make her behaviour at the stories endings (sour grapes reaction to being fired) more ironic.
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2020, 02:42:42 AM »

I read "The Silver Knight" and "Zudo",

The "Silver Knight" I'd give 6.5/10 The artwork was mostly good and I felt that with more backstory that we don't have, it probably told a good story. The medieval language did become tiresome, though and the "magic" was not once put on display.

"Zudo" I'd give 7/10. More good artwork and a simple, unoriginal but well-told story.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2020, 11:53:57 PM »

But, she had the disease we now call "Sleep Apnia".  She'd always have a lazy and half-hearted attitude towards her new job, based on the racist stereotype of a lazy, dimwitted African-American servant.

Or perhaps its because she was a bloody cat. Have you ever seen a cat that did not fall asleep without a moments notice and sleep 18-20 hours a day? Have you ever known a cat to ever show a good work ethic?
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2020, 12:16:02 AM »

But, she had the disease we now call "Sleep Apnia".  She'd always have a lazy and half-hearted attitude towards her new job, based on the racist stereotype of a lazy, dimwitted African-American servant.

Or perhaps its because she was a bloody cat. Have you ever seen a cat that did not fall asleep without a moments notice and sleep 18-20 hours a day? Have you ever known a cat to ever show a good work ethic?

Precisely why it was not likely a coincidence that "Sleepin' Lena" was chosen to be an anthropomorphic cat, as it was a way to emphasize the racist stereotypical lazy Black fat lady to poke fun at the supposedly "subhuman" African Americans.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2020, 01:53:24 AM »

Precisely why it was not likely a coincidence that "Sleepin' Lena" was chosen to be an anthropomorphic cat, as it was a way to emphasize the racist stereotypical lazy Black fat lady to poke fun at the supposedly "subhuman" African Americans.

I think you are seeing a connection that isn't really there.
Lena is not all black, or all brown. The flesh of her ears and muzzle is pink. There are no negro features and no exaggerated southern black speech patterns.
Nothing in the way she is depicted gives any indication that she represents black women, and she certainly isn't drawn as fat.

Ditzy females were common in comics, almost all being depicted as white.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and sometimes a lazy cat is just a lazy cat.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.