in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

'Mansion of Evl' mystery artist

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: 'Mansion of Evl' mystery artist  (Read 1954 times)

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
'Mansion of Evl' mystery artist
« on: August 24, 2009, 04:15:21 PM »

Hi Guys,
I've heard this book being mentioned among the first graphic novels.
Here's a link for it to see.

Jim, anyone - care to guess who the artist might be and was it a normal comic somewhere else or done for the book?

http://www.samuelsdesign.com/comics/?p=108

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: 'Mansion of Evl' mystery artist
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 05:33:20 PM »

Hi Guys,
I've heard this book being mentioned among the first graphic novels.
Here's a link for it to see.

Jim, anyone - care to guess who the artist might be and was it a normal comic somewhere else or done for the book?

http://www.samuelsdesign.com/comics/?p=108

-Yoc

First of all, folks,
There were wonderful Graphic Novels back in 1929/30. If you have never read Lynd Ward's Vertigo, Gods' Man, etc. or Milt Gross's He Done Her Wrong, then you are missing a great deal of comic/graphic history.

I think the artist on "Mansion of Evil" is Bud Thompson - a stalwart Fawcett regular (Gold Medal Books is a Fawcett brand) who's probably best known for his later Captain Marvel Jr. stories - though there is ample evidence of other hands assisting.

People keep "rediscovering" these things primarily because there is no central location in comics to store the data. Jerry Bails' (and Hames Ware's - though he seems to have been shunted aside in the labeling of the on-line version) Who's Who SHOULD be that location, but it is frozen in time and becomes less and less accurate as we delve deeper into older books that most people couldn't afford to look at in the past - thanks much to GAC-UK.

Anyway - I own a copy of this book and have for decades. At 180 paperback pages, that's  a decent length but one must consider that each page is about 1/2 a comic book page. Even 90 pages qualifies these days for "novel", but these are not anywhere near FIRST. Go back to the 1920s/30s to Frans Masereel, Lynd Ward and others for the REAL roots.

my 2
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 08:50:59 PM by JVJ »
ip icon Logged

kquattro

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: kquattro
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 09:07:34 PM »

First of all, folks,
There were wonderful Graphic Novels back in 1929/30. If you have never read Lynd Ward's Vertigo, Gods' Man, etc. or Milt Gross's He Done Her Wrong, then you are missing a great deal of comic/graphic history.

Amen to that. Fantagraphics reprinted "He Done Her Wrong" a few years back and copies can still be bought at Amazon and elsewhere.

People keep "rediscovering" these things primarily because there is no central location in comics to store the data. Jerry Bails' (and Hames Ware's - though he seems to have been shunted aside in the labeling of the on-line version) Who's Who SHOULD be that location, but it is frozen in time and becomes less and less accurate as we delve deeper into older books that most people couldn't afford to look at in the past - thanks much to GAC-UK.

I truly wish there was a way to update Who's Who, Jim. I know someone pays to keep the site online in its last state at Jerry's death, but does Hames or the Bails family have a way of retrieving the data listed and updating it elsewhere perhaps? As you say, there is so much more that has been learned since the passing of Jerry Bails that could be added.

--Ken Q

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 09:48:33 PM by kquattro »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 07:55:51 PM »

I think I've heard the Bails family wants it left as is.
Perhaps the info should be downloaded, corrected a NEW Who's Who site started while leaving the original as is if that's the way they want it.  As Jim says, the more time passes the more corrections and additions are needed and like an old set of encyclopedias the data becomes suspect and dated.

Just a thought,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.