in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

scanning comics

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: scanning comics  (Read 5971 times)

BobS

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: BobS
message icon
scanning comics
« on: April 18, 2010, 11:27:28 PM »

I tested scanning a few pages of a comic into jpg but the scans were approx. 10 megs  / page.

How lossy should scan .jpg's be?

Anybody have any pointers on scanning?

Thanks,
Bob
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: scanning comics
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 12:13:19 AM »

It sounds like you have your scanner dpi set too high Bob. Max should be 300 I use 150
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 02:48:53 AM »

I tested scanning a few pages of a comic into jpg but the scans were approx. 10 megs  / page.

Thanks,
Bob

That sounds about right Bob at 300dpi, (mine are around 12 megs or so as 'tiff' saved files before any editing). My final edited pages are saved at 1280 width, still at 300dpi and when saved in jpg's, are 950-750kb, (9.5-7.5 megs) for covers and 550kb, (5.5 megs) for inside pages. That should give you a start with it. See under 'Digital Comic Help' the stickied "Scanning Tutorial" I posted for more information that should be of help to you on this. Good luck.

Geo

Scanning Tutorial Link:
http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,652.0.html
ip icon Logged

BobS

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 03:40:27 PM »

It sounds like you have your scanner dpi set too high Bob. Max should be 300 I use 150

I used 300 dpi.
The scanner default for jpgs appears to be no loss.
Thanks,
Bob
ip icon Logged

BobS

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 04:01:06 PM »

Thanks,
Bob

That sounds about right Bob at 300dpi, (mine are around 12 megs or so as 'tiff' saved files before any editing). My final edited pages are saved at 1280 width, still at 300dpi and when saved in jpg's, are 950-750kb, (9.5-7.5 megs) for covers and 550kb, (5.5 megs) for inside pages. That should give you a start with it. See under 'Digital Comic Help' the stickied "Scanning Tutorial" I posted for more information that should be of help to you on this. Good luck.

Geo

Scanning Tutorial Link:
http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,652.0.html

Thanks, Geo. I found the tutorial after I had posed here.

My wife wants me to sell my older comics, so she's agreed to help me with scanning.
I have pretty much no GA comics left except a few coverless ones.
Yoc in particular wanted me to scan my coverless It Rhymes With Lust.
I also have a Crack Comic with centerfold that appears to be missing the centerfold.

I also have a few Dell comics (Gene Autry etc.) that may not have been scanned.
One coverless very early Looney Tunes.

Also a comic book size 1930s Skippy (if mem. serves) that has pictures but isn't comic book format.

Also some early 1950s DC comics that maybe haven't been scanned yet.

I also have a few pulps, a half dozen or so brittle semi-coverless Weird Tales, one nice condition Doc Savage, a Phantom Detective, and a few western pulps.

Also some 1960s (and a couple earlier) fanzines.

Also a few 'underground' comix that I haven't seen scanned.

And an issue of Horse S***, a Vietnam War era anti-war and pro-sex zine that I noticed one of my college English profs read.

Also LOTSA 1980s newave comix.

Also various zines including a Photoplay with cover feature Elvis going into Army and Elvis & MM articles inside.
Also some vintage girlie mags with Bettie Page.

Also some low-circulation graphic novels, one of which someone on K*****-L*** asked me to scan.
(I'm banned from K*****-L*** by the way.)

And I have no moral qualms about scanning and sharing any of this stuff.

Best,
Bob Stump
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 05:14:19 PM »

Hey Bob thanks for the offer. Any Gene Autry below 30 is good if we do not already have it. Would love to have more zines. If they do not carry any copyrights could you try to contact the original publisher for permission. Not legally necessary but we would like to help support those who helped promote the industry and keep it alive. Loony Tunes of course is not pd :(  PM Janus about pulps there has been some interest. Undergrounds were quickly shot down before. We want to keep this site PG rated. Check your 1980's book and see if they carry proper copyright. If not we can carry them but would prefer asking permission. Most may not be able to be found though. We may set up a side street for 80's books
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.