in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

File Type Icon would be Helpful

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: File Type Icon would be Helpful  (Read 4710 times)

Ebon2007

message icon
File Type Icon would be Helpful
« on: August 22, 2010, 04:53:34 AM »

Either an icon or notation beside the download link as to what type of file it is (CBR or ZIP, for example) would be most helpful.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: File Type Icon would be Helpful
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 04:58:32 AM »

Either an icon or notation beside the download link as to what type of file it is (CBR or ZIP, for example) would be most helpful.

...because? What would the benefit be for members? I am not knocking you, I just want you to take the next logical step.

B.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 12:41:06 PM »

Preferably all uploaders would rename their files from zip or rar to cbz or cbr but if they do not we will not turn them down. Comic readers do not care which they are cbz or cbr so the file type is not important there.
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 02:08:11 AM »

Ebon2007 does have a valid point if he is using a PC that came configured such that Window 'hides the file extensions in explorer for known file types'.  This is a common situation of which many people aren't aware.

Many of our downloads are .zip or .rar files, and, if you had such a machine, Windows would launch an archive utility program (if there was one on the machine) rather than a comic reader program.

I don't think it would be the easiest to do the programing to add the icon to all the pages where the files are listed (maybe it is, but I am not a programmer), but maybe we could add a FAQ piece on what to do to turn off the Window extension hider, and how to rename files.

Users seem to run into this a lot, and often aren't even aware that zip's and rar's can be simply be renamed to be accessed by the readers.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 10:05:45 AM »

And some people add an extra extension to files because the true extension is hidden
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 02:04:11 PM »

And some people add an extra extension to files because the true extension is hidden

...double trouble!
ip icon Logged

Ebon2007

message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 04:57:35 AM »

Preferably all uploaders would rename their files from zip or rar to cbz or cbr but if they do not we will not turn them down. Comic readers do not care which they are cbz or cbr so the file type is not important there.

Wait -- so if I have, say, 'Super-Mystery_1.ZIP', which is a collection of JPEG images, and I rename it to 'Super-Mystery_1.CBR' then a program like ComicRack can read it just fine? CBR and CBZ are not some special file type only ComicRack or a similar program can read?
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 05:25:12 AM »

That's right.

Cool, eh?

(|:{>
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 12:51:12 PM »

One last wrinkle, Ebon2007.

There are two major types of compression archive file types, ZIPs and RARs. Associated with them are two types of comic book readers files, CBZs and CBRs.  I think you can see where this is going.  ;)

Rename any RAR into CBR
Rename any ZIP into CBZ

...and it's a two way street. If you wanted to extract all the images in a CBZ or CBR into a folder, you could rename them back into RAR or ZIP and extract the files.

Have fun!
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 12:13:42 AM »

The only thing I would ask is that the uploaders name the file in conjunction with the book's title. I have no problem renaming a zip or rar file that is something like Pep_Comics_010 but some are just jibberish and I have to go back to figure out what is is I've downloaded. The worst are titles like Target that have numerous volumes. I've seem some issues that actually had no file name at all. This was a while ago and don't recall the title effected.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 12:53:40 AM »

There was a crash a couple years ago and all the files had to be renamed. Some were missed and there are a few still floating around
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.