in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Toshiba tB EHD Fail and took my comics with it

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Toshiba tB EHD Fail and took my comics with it  (Read 7171 times)

CharlieRock

• VIP
message icon
Toshiba tB EHD Fail and took my comics with it
« on: August 23, 2010, 01:43:57 AM »

I lost all my comics yesterday.
I had them backed up on MrsCharlie's tB EHD (that's a portable 1,000gigabyte harddrive). Last night I had some connection issues so I took the cover off my desktop and checked the connections. Then I system restored it and ended up erasing my desktop comics folder. No biggie since I had them all backed up. I load up the EHD and reload the comics up. Go to open one and it was corrupted (broken archive bubble and was actually missing about 1/2 the pages). Then another. And another. Stunned, I realised all of them were corrupted.  :-\

Oh, well. Thanks for keeping this site for dupes like me.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Toshiba tB EHD Fail and took my comics with it
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 05:43:45 AM »

You have my deepest sympathy, Charlie,
but I hope you have learned two things:

1. ONE backup is never enough

2. VERIFY your backups BEFORE you need them.

Computers are great but Jim's Second Law is "Everything ALMOST Works."

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 08:00:38 AM »

Really sorry to hear that, Charlie.  I've got my files on a big external drive.  Does this all mean I need to make another copy on another drive?  Sounds like it.  I wish stuff was simple - like paper comics I can pick up and put down.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 09:58:48 AM »

Sorry about that Charlie. I had a 500 gig go down. I had stored certain backups but not all on it. If I remember correctly it had all my Tarzan's and some others. One thing to consider is that everything is backed up somewhere. I can never read them all at one time anyway. If I need to find a copy of anything I have it is backed up here or somewhere when I need it. I do have a premium rapidshare account. I do not want to overload the server here but almost everything here quickly winds up elsewhere and very often stored at rapidshare. I can pull down many multiple downloads from rapidshare and get what I need. Of course there are others like megauploads and mediafire. I have gotten ad/malware from those sights because I am not a premium user. Whatever site you choose, get a premium account or risk infection.
ip icon Logged

CharlieRock

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 12:53:13 PM »

Thanks for the advice. The thing that gets me is the EHD didn't mess with MrsCharlie's files on there. Just deleted pages from my comics. I knew computers hated me.  ;)
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 01:35:50 PM »

I lost all my comics yesterday.
I had them backed up on MrsCharlie's tB EHD (that's a portable 1,000gigabyte harddrive). Last night I had some connection issues so I took the cover off my desktop and checked the connections. Then I system restored it and ended up erasing my desktop comics folder. No biggie since I had them all backed up. I load up the EHD and reload the comics up. Go to open one and it was corrupted (broken archive bubble and was actually missing about 1/2 the pages). Then another. And another. Stunned, I realised all of them were corrupted.  :-\

Oh, well. Thanks for keeping this site for dupes like me.

No good at all  :-\  you have our sympathy and support as you replace the files from the GAC collection.

B.
ip icon Logged

CharlieRock

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 10:27:28 PM »

I was just wondering something. Since the Toshiba still eats up comics files (we tried a "test back-up" recently that also failed); which brand EHD do you guys use?

Currently I am backing everything up on a thumbdrive that I use for work but eventually I'm going to need that space for work. The thumbdrive has been safe enough for my comics to sit on. But an EHD is only a few bucks more and can hold considerably more. I'm wondering if EHDs just eat cbr files or if it is just Toshiba.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 11:33:38 PM »

I swear by Western Digital.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 12:14:10 AM »

My Seagate has been fine so far but who knows got it on Black Friday
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 01:48:06 AM »

I was just wondering something. Since the Toshiba still eats up comics files (we tried a "test back-up" recently that also failed); which brand EHD do you guys use?

Currently I am backing everything up on a thumbdrive that I use for work but eventually I'm going to need that space for work. The thumbdrive has been safe enough for my comics to sit on. But an EHD is only a few bucks more and can hold considerably more. I'm wondering if EHDs just eat cbr files or if it is just Toshiba.

I've been using Western Digital, too. Costco was selling 1 TB USB drives for $109.99 last month. The 750 GB were $89.99. Haven't had a problem yet.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 02:04:09 AM »

Black Friday special 1T Seagate was $70 we got 2
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 03:55:25 AM »

Black Friday special 1T Seagate was $70 we got 2

Don't blame you, narf!

(|:{>
ip icon Logged

CharlieRock

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 07:53:49 PM »

I'll take your suggestions when next looking ofr a EHD. Thanks
ip icon Logged

deni

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 10:12:49 PM »

A similar thing happened to me and I didn't have secondary backup.

Last month a lightning strike power failure made a bunch of comics disappear off my 500 GB external hard drive.   The files were corrupted.  But I was able to totally recover all 177 GB using Easeus Data Recovery Wizard Pro (took about 12 hours altogether).  There are also several others programs available to do the same thing.  Some are free, some are not.

All the recovery programs that I had researched said to limit or avoid using the hard drive with the corrupted files until after recovery.   The more you shift around memory, the more difficult it gets to recover those corrupted files and the less likelihood of total recovery.

I have learned my lesson.   I bought a Seagate 1TB on sale for $89 to back everything up a second time.     
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 10:29:37 PM by deni »
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 12:54:56 PM »

I feel your pain, bro. I had my entire computer go down due to a virus. Never got it back. I didn't have a backup and had about 2,000 comics. I wasn't TOO upset though. I enjoy downloading them and this is a wonderfully nice place to visit.  :)
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 07:15:50 PM »

If your hd dies there's always some method of data recovery open to you... as long as you don't write to the drive (and in some cases, even when you do)... if the data is important enough there are even labs that can disassemble the drive to replace the controller board and other components, or get at the physical media.  But that last option is a bit extreme for the average user (or should I say "loser" in this case :( ;D).

What I'm interested in is data recovery from these new solid state drives that have been coming on the consumer market now.  I wonder how reliable they are, and what are the most effective data recovery methods out there for them (if any) when they fail.  I know they've been used in industry for some time now, so there must be info in this regard out there.  :)
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.