in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Laptop or E-book Reader?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Laptop or E-book Reader?  (Read 8442 times)

Terjesk

message icon
Laptop or E-book Reader?
« on: May 06, 2011, 09:42:43 PM »

I am new to ecomics and wonder what other users here prefer when reading comics, an ordinary laptop/computer or one of these new e-book readers/tablets?  :)

I am using the ComicRack software to view my comics, it got great reviews and its free and I think it works well, anyone else using this reader?
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: Laptop or E-book Reader?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 10:43:40 PM »

I am new to ecomics and wonder what other users here prefer when reading comics, an ordinary laptop/computer or one of these new e-book readers/tablets?  :)

I am using the ComicRack software to view my comics, it got great reviews and its free and I think it works well, anyone else using this reader?

I don't have a reader, but I know some do...but when I read my digital comics I use CDisplayEx.

;D  That's my commercial moment!

Oh, and enjoy your reset downloads!

B.
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 11:05:54 PM »

IPad and comic zeal app.  Worth every dime
ip icon Logged

Terjesk

message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 08:13:19 PM »

Thanks boox909  ;D

misappear, I would also like to buy one of these tablets so I can read the comics more comfortable at night in my bed, but the cheapest Ipad 2 16 GB costs over $700.00 USD and the 64 GB version goes for $1,173.00 USD here in Norway, so I guess I would have to use my "old" laptop for a while...
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 09:46:26 PM »

Understood.  Thing is, the screen size is so critical.  I had a Pandigital Novel, which allowed me to read comics, but I had to do them as jpegs in the pictures folder in order to be able to enlarge the pages and navigate around.  Even with the larger text size in golden and silver age books, reading/viewing a whole page was usually not possible.  Would I pay $700 for my $500 iPad?  Most certainly.  I've also loaded about 600 ebooks and added in a pretty functional word processor.  I may sound like a commercial for the thing, but I gotta tell you it's really nice.  With the ease of use via Calibre for books, my need for a reader for both books and comics could not have been better met. 
ip icon Logged

Sunchaser

message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 03:15:34 PM »

It is easy to buy a cheap first version of Ipad... apple followers sell fastly this old version. Comic Zeal must run perfectly on Ipad 1...
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 08:41:56 PM »

Cheap ten inch ebads are now availble for only $150 my Arnova 10 went from $200 to $150.
They are pretty good to read comics on. When it comes to novels I prefer reading on my phone. I found the size really good. For me it is easier on the eyes because you do not have to use your eyes as much to read across. You can set the font and then you can pretty much just read down. I can read a novel much faster that way.
ip icon Logged

NicVinson

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: NicVinson
message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 04:24:23 AM »

I have an iPad2, what is a good app to put these comics onto and is there an good tutorial to help show me how to upload them to the iPad2?

Thanks
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 12:11:32 AM »

free app called bookman lite does great for me on my ipad. Comics look good and you can enlarge them when needed and move the image around for easy reading
ip icon Logged

macsnafu

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 02:49:23 AM »

Maybe I'm just behind the times, but I'm still using a laptop (with XP on it) and when I'm not just reading the comics online, I just use the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.  As long as the pages are in order and in the same folder, it'll flip through them just fine.  You can easily adjust the size of the pages if the original size is too small or too big.  And it works with zip files, too, although it can't read the .rar files, so those have to be decompressed first.

I've thought a lot about getting a tablet, but I just haven't made that plunge, yet.  I'll probably get a low-end e-reader first, and then worry about getting a tablet.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 03:07:12 AM »

I think most ereaders will read comics.
ip icon Logged

macsnafu

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 03:29:03 AM »

I think most ereaders will read comics.

Maybe, but when I mean low-end, I'm talking about those that use the e-ink technology.  The $79 Kindle, for example.  I don't know how well they do pictures, but even if they do a great job, it's still monochrome, Black and white, or possibly shades of grey, and not in color.

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.