in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Site Layout

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Site Layout  (Read 4567 times)

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
Site Layout
« on: June 28, 2012, 12:12:06 PM »

I was wondering if we could tweak the current layout of the site a bit.

To me, the length of the "Latest Comics" thing on the right is too long (circled) and creates some wasted space/real estate. If we chopped it off by like 2 comics (the red horizontal line), we could eliminate all that space (the red squiggles) and tighten up the look - the actual topics wouldn't be so far down the page.

Kinda like this:

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Site Layout
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 09:37:35 PM »

Since it can scroll anyway your look makes sense
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 08:16:59 AM »

How does it look now :)

The forum and main site were sharing identical code for the top, to help me keep my sanity. But I have just made it so the forum widget is a bit shorter. The main site pages eg: https://comicbookplus.com/?cbplus=latestuploads_l_s_0 you can see it is about right on some a bit short and some a bit long. The home page has wasted real estate but that is because i moved the disclaimer to the bottom and have not written up a better introduction for the site.

Anyway I agree it looks better!

ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 02:11:26 AM »

This is what I get now Mark, with a Mac and using Safari.

Way to much now.

Geo
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 02:13:28 AM by Geo »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 02:34:06 AM »

and with chrome
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 02:39:00 AM »

I'm using Mac 10.6.8/Safari 5.1.7 and get a normal view, the "Latest Comics" list is 6 issues long.

This is what I get now Mark, with a Mac and using Safari.

Way to much now.

Geo
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 02:55:13 AM »

I'm using Mac 10.6.8/Safari 5.1.7 and get a normal view, the "Latest Comics" list is 6 issues long.

I'm using the same OS and Safari version as you are and that is what I get now Roy.

OK, I cleaned the cashe out and now it shows only five and a half.

Geo
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 02:57:53 AM by Geo »
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 10:56:12 AM »

Yep ... it's a caching problem. The style sheet has changed and the browser/webserver should realize this and pick up the new version. A page refresh should do the trick, but as a temporary measure I have put the style in the main code and all should be right with the world. (I must remember to take it out in a month)
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 02:42:47 PM »

A couple months ago, following an "upgrade", suddenly the site layout was STRETCHED OUT all over my screen.  tons of wasted space, etc.  The really annoying part of this was, I couldn't read any message posts without CONSTANTLY scrolling horizontally, right, left, right, left... (up and down is okay, but right and left is a pain in the ass).

I mentioned this, and it looked like no one else was having any problems.  I got past it by shrinking the font size until I could see everything, except, the font size was teeny-tiny.

I use Firefox.  Last night I found an add-on called "NO SQUINT". This allows you to adjust the font size INDEPENDENT of the rest of the page.  Suddenly, this site "works" for me again.

I thought I'd pass this on. It might help!!!
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 07:48:20 PM »

This was sorted way back in the day, others had the same problem as you, but it was fixed.

You would not have been seeing it for the last two months, but I guess you did your font fix and didn't realize. Anyway if you are still seeing format now problems SHOUT!!

BTW There will be plenty more fun and games as we will continue to "upgrade". :)
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.