in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

CB+ viewer and Samsung tab.

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: CB+ viewer and Samsung tab.  (Read 4907 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
CB+ viewer and Samsung tab.
« on: January 04, 2013, 01:40:22 PM »

My shiny, new Samsung 10.1 Galaxy tablet doesn't seem able to use the CB+ on-site viewer/reader.  So, when I click a title to start reading it, the front cover comes up as usual but when I click, "next", the big cover disappears and the small cover re-appears on the left.  No problem downloading.  Thought you all might want to know.  Any suggestions?
Mark, you might be interested to know that the tablet can use the viewer on Fury Comics.
ip icon Logged

Snard

• Administrator
message icon
Re: CB+ viewer and Samsung tab.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 03:56:06 PM »

My shiny, new Samsung 10.1 Galaxy tablet doesn't seem able to use the CB+ on-site viewer/reader.  So, when I click a title to start reading it, the front cover comes up as usual but when I click, "next", the big cover disappears and the small cover re-appears on the left.  No problem downloading.  Thought you all might want to know.  Any suggestions?
Mark, you might be interested to know that the tablet can use the viewer on Fury Comics.

What version of Android does your Galaxy have? I have a Toshiba Thrive running Android 4.0 and the viewer works fine for me, in both the stock browser and in Chrome. Also, as a test, try to click in the middle of the image and see if you get the same result. (This will advance to the following page).

One final question: are you viewing books in the portrait or landscape orientation? (I would assume portrait, but just wanted to be sure.)
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 07:28:10 PM »

Paw,

This is a little bit worrisome as the viewer has tablets very much in mind. Plus the viewer code is pretty much a port of furycomics.

What happens if you click on the cover, or use the drop down menu to find a page?

Report back, or you could just send me you Galaxy :)

Plus, anyone else with tablets please let me know what you see!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 08:09:25 PM »

Right, had a look and tried some things.  I can get it to work by bringing up a comic, tapping the  " 1 of  ? Pages"  and a screen with pagenumbers appears on the tablet, I choose page 2, press done and page 2 appears.  From then on tapping the page advances the comic.
I have to do the same thing for each comic.  I have had a go onDCM and their reader works fine.  But all this could be me and I might not have set the tablet up correctly.
Snard, I'm viewing portrait for uprights and landscape for all the landscape titles we have.  Also, I think it's android 4, I can dig out thebook if you want.
ip icon Logged

Snard

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 08:59:18 PM »

Paw,

Here's something else to try. In my "built in" browser, there is an item in the options menu (three vertical dots) called "Request desktop site", that can be checked or unchecked. This instructs the browser to either respond as a mobile device (unchecked) or as a "desktop" (checked) in the "User agent" header section when it talks back to the web server. I have this box unchecked on my Thrive, and everything works fine. I don't know if the CB+ viewer is sending different content for mobile vs. desktop browsers, but for some websites I visit, I've had to toggle this setting to make things work correctly on my tablet.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 04:36:07 PM »

OK I'll have a go at that.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 09:18:56 PM »

The site doesn't do any device detection. I think that there is little that CB+ can offer small mobile devices. I mean in the way of a mobile version. Much later on I think it would be cool to offer some stories panel by panel, which I think would work really well, but that is really a totally new site.

Tablets should have enough screen resolution and ummph to deal with our site fine. As I said before they have always been very much in my mind. The viewer is really designed for them.

It is very strange the FuryComics viewer works fine as CB+ uses the same code. Anyway, the MASSIVE new upgrade to CB+ is being made live on 12 January. I am 99% sure that it will make no difference to the problem ... but we'll see.

BTW shuussh no one is supposed to know about the new site upgrade. It is TOP SECRET :)

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 12:45:16 PM »

Right, my lips are sealed and, let's face it, hardly anyone reads this stuff anyway.  By the way, this isn't a big problem for me as I can work round it easily and there is always a download, so no big deal for me.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 12:47:02 PM »

Is a big deal for me :)
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 03:59:41 PM »

Spread the word!!!! just kidding!

RB
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 07:09:55 PM »

A teaser maybe, but also to set a deadline ... it will be quite interesting :)
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.