in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Personal collections

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Personal collections  (Read 2028 times)

Artful

message icon
Personal collections
« on: July 04, 2013, 07:55:50 PM »

It would be nice to be able to create our own (user) personal collections as groups of comicmarks. Technically it can look like creating folders for certain groups of comicmarks. Let's say, I want to have "the 50s" collection to place all the 50s-related comicmarks there. The first comicmark placed in a folder can be used as a thumbnail for the whole collection.

What would you say, CBP Team members? I don't know whether the task is difficult or time consuming.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 08:16:07 PM by Artful »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Personal collections
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 08:38:30 PM »

This is all Mark's baby Artful. I have enough trouble doing what I already know to learn much new. All the tech stuff is Mark.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Personal collections
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 09:05:28 AM »

I split this out into its own topic (eventually ... after screwing it all up ..lol)

This is a good idea! But to add some color ... comicmarks took a long time to do and it also REALLY hurt my brain! I was going to allow comicmarking of other peoples comicmarks and also collections/categories/latest uploads pages etc. Basically any page we have. But I stopped at individual issues and titles as the old grey cells were taking a pounding.

The plan was and still is to revisit and add that functionality. When I do that will mean that I just have to add a create a new comicmark type and off you go:)

As I said it took a lot of time and effort and I wasn't sure if it would ever be used SO smart guy I am, I used exactly the same functionality for collections (we just have the single SOTI in there at the moment.) I have just mentioned this elsewhere that heading to the top of the list is to create other collections (origins will be the first). Once we have a few of these done ... then I'd have got my "time back" and I can then justify doing a phase 2.

Short version: ... good idea ...it is on the list ... once I get value from the time already spent I will revisit ... hopefully later this year or maybe early next year.

Thanks for you thoughts and any other ideas please shout!!! Good ideas or things that don't take long often jump right to the top of the list :)
ip icon Logged

Artful

message icon
Re: Personal collections
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 12:57:05 PM »

Thank you, Mark. I imagine what an amount of work you have to do in order to keep this site up, running and developing. Apparently, every CBP regular has his/her own dream features, and I'm glad that my post turned out to be another "vote" for a feature which is already on the list :).
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.