in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Help needed regarding PD Super Hero card game

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Help needed regarding PD Super Hero card game  (Read 2779 times)

happyhuman

• VIP
message icon
Help needed regarding PD Super Hero card game
« on: May 05, 2014, 09:23:36 PM »

Hello everyone,

A few years ago I and a friend of mine created a super hero card game for our circle of friends, using of course recognized characters (like spider-man ect.). We liked how the game turned out and we talked about maybe creating a commercial version but of course we can
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Help needed regarding PD Super Hero card game
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 01:31:33 AM »

If there is any trademark, which I doubt, it would only prevent using the character as trade dress. Do not use it prominently on the cover and my unprofessional opinion is you will be OK.
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 06:33:32 PM »

If there is any trademark, which I doubt, it would only prevent using the character as trade dress. Do not use it prominently on the cover and my unprofessional opinion is you will be OK.

yeah,you have to play it safe.
ip icon Logged

happyhuman

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 06:02:51 PM »

An update:

Well, it's been almost a year now and we are almost finished with the final art for the cards and board.

we're both have a day job so it took some time. when we'll finish I'll be glad to send a test packet to those who are interested in trying the game and get your feedback.

We decided not to use the Nedor characters, only characters from Fox, Centaur, Lev, Prize, Hillman, Holyoke and Ace.

We wanted to use some of Novelty characters (Blue Bolt, Spacehawk, Whitestreak and Sub-Zero) but were not sure of their status. In a quick search we found that Novelty Press sold its assets, including Blue Bolt, to series cover artist L. B. Cole (wiki - not the best source of reliable information we know) and that it's possible that Spacehawk creator, Basil Wolverton, might had some rights to the character or others now have them after his passing.

We don't live in the united states so we can't just look in the library of congers for renewals

We know there was a new collection of all spacehawk stories a few years back and we could find

We looked at Dynamite, Image and AC comics to see if they used the Novelty characters but found that they didn't.

If anyone have different information it will be most appreciative

Thanks for your help
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 11:47:59 PM »

An update:

Well, it's been almost a year now and we are almost finished with the final art for the cards and board.

we're both have a day job so it took some time. when we'll finish I'll be glad to send a test packet to those who are interested in trying the game and get your feedback.

We decided not to use the Nedor characters, only characters from Fox, Centaur, Lev, Prize, Hillman, Holyoke and Ace.

We wanted to use some of Novelty characters (Blue Bolt, Spacehawk, Whitestreak and Sub-Zero) but were not sure of their status. In a quick search we found that Novelty Press sold its assets, including Blue Bolt, to series cover artist L. B. Cole (wiki - not the best source of reliable information we know) and that it's possible that Spacehawk creator, Basil Wolverton, might had some rights to the character or others now have them after his passing.

We don't live in the united states so we can't just look in the library of congers for renewals

We know there was a new collection of all spacehawk stories a few years back and we could find

We looked at Dynamite, Image and AC comics to see if they used the Novelty characters but found that they didn't.

Thanks for your help

Yes,I Am interested in receiving a copy of your game.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 12:41:04 AM »

It is doubtful that there would be any problem with Spacehawk. But if you want to leave it out to be safe that is fine. The other Novelty characters should be fine to use. I would love a copy of your game
ip icon Logged

twiztor

message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 06:50:33 PM »

this sounds like an awesome idea and i'm down to give it a go as well.
ip icon Logged

Ed Love

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 07:26:27 PM »

An update:

A few of the Novelty characters did show up in AC's Fem Force quite a few years ago. I don't know if anything was done with them since, but Sub Zero and I think Blue Bolt did appear in "The Dark Shroud Saga" way back. Other than that, they have been reprinted a couple of times in years past in books focusing on Simon & Kirby (Blue Bolt) or Will Everett (Sub-Zero).
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 03:12:00 AM »

Using the characters does not regain trademark. It must be transferred from the original owner. So they are trademark free
ip icon Logged

bchat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 11:35:20 PM »

Most, if not all, copyright renewals can be found online.

Dynamite used Novelty's Twister in their "Black Terror" series.  Blue Bolt also made some appearances in the company's Project Superpowers line.

Image's Erik Larsen used Blue Bolt in Savage Dragon # 141.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.