in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Problems on opening for Space Comics (Captain Valiant) 50 and Jet Fury 25

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Problems on opening for Space Comics (Captain Valiant) 50 and Jet Fury 25  (Read 3593 times)

ejpetrie

These two files download just fine, but when you try to open either one you get the "This archive is not a valid Zip archive" message.  I've tried downloading both files several times, and I have tried to open them with both CDisplay and Comical.  Neither software recognizes the format for either file.

ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator

I downloaded both pf them and they opened fine in Cdisplay. So must be download issues which I really hope are now resolved for you.

BTW if the book looks OK in the viewer then you can pretty much bet your short on the fact that the file is good. As a suite of programs make the online reader version from the downloadable file.
ip icon Logged

ejpetrie

Hi Mark.  After further investigation I can tell you that I am only having trouble with the files that have been uploaded by paw broon.  I downloaded two more of his files and had the same problem with both of them that I experienced with his first two.  I also dowloaded two other files from other uploaders (Catman #19 and another Australian comic) and they open just fine. All the other files that I have tried before and since still download and open like normal.  There is something slightly unusual about this uploader's efforts.  I'm not enough of an IT guy anymore to tell you what it is, but his files are somehow different from everybody else's in a way that my Windows XP system just doesn't like.

Best,
Josh
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator

Hi Josh,
Don't know what is causing your problems with the files.  I downloaded Jet Fury and it was fine.  So I went to back to my original jpegs and traced the operation through.  I can't find anything odd about the process, or the files.  I note that some others have downloaded the ones you mention and others of my efforts and aren't having your problems.  I'm a bit stumped.  Can I ask which comic reader you are using, please?  I had a serious problem with Gonvisor and had to take it of my machine.  I prefer CDisplay.  But anyway, none of that should affect uploads. 
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP

I use an iPad 1 with Comic Zeal, and the Jet Fury wouldn't open either.  I've never had that happen before
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

misappear

• VIP

I'm sorry, that last post was horribly useless.

I downloaded Jet Fury 25 on to my computer and it wouldn't boot into Cdisplay.  I used 7-zip to deconstruct the comic file back to jPeg, then reformatted it as a cbr, then it opened fine.  I can't do these operations on an Ipad because of the limitations of doing stuff on Apple. 

I can now load the new cbr to my Mediafire and pull it down to the ipad.  998 steps, but it's done. 

I don't know what was different about the original file from Paw that caused the problem, tho.  And yes, it did read OK with the online reader built into this website. 
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator

Although my recent uploads open fine on the site reader and on my pc using CDisplay, when I download to my android tablet, Perfect Viewer opens it, BUT, it's slow. I downloaded some files done with my old scanner and they open quickly on pc and tablet.  So, is there something about this new Scanner? 
I'll need to have a ponder.  All help and (clean) suggestions greatfully received.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator

I will investigate tomorrow. But as I said .. the site thinks nothing unusual about the file, as does teh mirror I run here and also viewing it using CDisplay running on the very machine I am typing this on now.

I AM NOT saying that there isn't summat going on here ... just that those are two certain facts. Will report back!
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator

BTW ejpetrie you need to get moving XP is no longer supported and you'll get hit big time virus wise!!!!

I have an old XP machine here that has been sitting around not switched on for a bit as an emergency backup for an emergency backup! Going to put android on it tomorrow to see how it runs.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Problems on opening for Space Comics (Captain Valiant) 50 and Jet Fury 25
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 02:14:55 PM »

For those of you having problems with reading the files on tablets, please download the new versions ( with the "a" suffix). See how that goes.
ip icon Logged

ejpetrie

message icon
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 05:44:53 PM »

Hi, paw broon!  When I first noticed the problem I was running XP Pro on a laptop which has both CDisplay (which I prefer) and Comical (which I use when CDisplay is experiencing some type of file interpretation problem).  I have since tested one of the files in question on my Windows 8 system and it did the same thing.  Unfortunately, as simple as I'm sure it is, I have never taken the time to learn how to deconstruct a zip file and recreate it in a RAR format, so that route isn't possible for me right now.  I wish I could help you with this.  I'm sure the answer is something simple, and it might well be scanner related.

And Mark, that laptop I'm using is not part of the network that I have built.  It's just something that I use to read removable back-ups from my 8TB, on-site Cloud set-up that I use exclusively for comic scans and family photos.  The network is now being governed by a machine running Windows 8, which I absolutely detest.  (What a design mess that platform is.)  And all of our devices operate behind a firewall that was designed by a friend of mine who is now the lead consultant for a major soft drink firm's network security, so we're pretty secure here.  But during the times when I need to take a break from menus jumping out at me from every direction whenever I even just think about touching the keyboard...well then reading comics on a nice familiar Mac or XP platform is a relaxing thing.

Thanks for all the attention, guys!

Best,
Josh Petrie
ip icon Logged

ejpetrie

message icon
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 10:56:06 PM »

The new files and the newly modified files with the "a" suffix all work fine for me now.  Thanks very much!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.