in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 39 - T-Man #1

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 39 - T-Man #1  (Read 2830 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 39 - T-Man #1
« on: October 01, 2014, 01:27:17 PM »

I think that the reading group was pretty much in agreement that last week's book was insane, and I think by and large it was a hit (certainly was for me!), This is an old familiar that I have never actually opened up. The cover is really cool and from what I have read so is T-Man (well coolish anyway). So it's time to find out the truth!

T-Man #1 can be found at https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=19748, and the story we are concentrating on is the first one "T-Man's Holiday".

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Week 39 - T-Man #1
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 10:35:17 PM »

What a lot of fun. Crazy, silly dialogue was way overdone but fun. I guess you can say I rate this story fun. Lots of coincidence but I can overlook it when done in fun. I liked the art but found it a little stiff which makes me question the Crandall credit.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 08:20:52 PM »

Read the first story and really liked it.
There was often an element of coincidence in TV series episodes of the 60's spy genre.
It worked well in this case.

The Artwork suits the overall effect of the characterizations and general story line. Simple and bold, the reader not distracted by minutiae. In a way much like the old B&W TV shows.
The illustrated story would in fact have served well as a story board for filming.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 04:47:28 AM »

This book came as a pleasant surprise. The stories were fun and the art wasn't bad.

The data card suggests Joe Millard is the writer based on his "writing tics." I assume this means his use of exclamations like "Awwrk!" and "Grawwk!" If so, Millard must have written the Ken Shannon stories too. That's where I first ran across these peculiar expletives. Come to think of it these stories are strongly reminiscent of Ken Shannon. A smart-talking tough hero who frequently berates himself for his mistakes and isn't always the smartest tool in the shed--although Shannon was definitely a lummox while Pete Trask is reasonably intelligent. He's brought down mostly by unlucky coincidences.

Aside from those coincidences I was impressed by the writing. Given as few as seven pages to tell a complete story, Millard did a solid job of setting up the plot, providing action and a few surprises, and coming to a satisfying conclusion. Seven pages! I enjoyed the second story most. Betty was a royal pain, but I liked her personality. Trask came off as something of a misogynist, though.

In "Augie Moore" Jack Cole was obviously channeling The Bowery Boys. Like T-Man, the story is compact and well-told with some good dialogue. However I don't care if I ever see them again.

Artwise the cover stands out. I agree it looks like Crandall's pencils, especially the construction of the woman's head. Doesn't look much like his inks. Harry Anderson provides the best pencils in the second and third story. However he's smothered by the Quality house ink job. I don't buy the data sheet's suggestion that H.A. inked either story. Edmond Good (if it's him) does a good job on his story, but Anderson's figures have more life to them.

When I see a story set in a foreign locale I always want to see the artist pull out his National Geographics and give us a little local color. Of course given comic page rates that's unlikely unless the artist is a background freak like me. Here the artists do provide some sense of the locations but they don't put a lot of work into them.

A couple other observations. First, when I read T-Man stories back in the day I didn't care, but now it bugs me that Trask is working for the Treasury Department, which except perhaps in counterfeiting cases operates exclusively within the U.S. In the comics Trask is a globe-hopping spy, like a CIA man. I suppose "CIA Man!" isn't as catchy as "T-Man!" And admittedly the CIA wasn't as well-known in the 50s as it became in the 60s. Second, seeing Trask with a mustache made me think how few comic heroes wore one. He calls to mind Brian Donlevy, who could easily have played Trask in a movie.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 04:56:12 AM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 11:55:46 AM »

That caught my attention too Crash. It immediately made no sense to me that a US Treasury agent would do foreign work. But I figured they felt the international flavor was worth the "literary license."
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 07:13:51 PM »

The U S Secret Service had investigated every sort of Federal crime before the creation of the FBI and continued to work in Intelligence gathering to a lesser extent through WW2.
While no longer officially a part of the "Intelligence Community" they still cooperate with Intelligence Agencies and the FBI.
In recent years the Secret Service was transfered from the Teasury Dept to the Department of Homeland Security.

PS
In the first story our Agent is roped into the situation against his will while on vacation.
In the second story he is given the mission on an unofficial basis with the understanding that the Treasury Dept will disavow knowledge of him and his actions if caught.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 09:27:00 PM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 02:59:12 AM »

T-Man's Holiday - Cute. Read & watch enough of these types of stories and the "mystery" of where the microfilm is hidden is easy enough to figure out, but knowing that didn't really hinder the story.

Augie Moore and the Teen Terrors - Ow, that was painful. The writing of teenagers felt off, the "humor" was leaden and the art made the teens look to be in their twenties.

The Prince of Thieves - Interesting, although the more goofball moments made me think it was a different writer than the first story in the book.

The Broken Corpse - Not bad.

The Elephant Who Loved Flowers - Not bad.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 09:29:48 PM »

Lots of good Quality fun in this one! Crash previously mentioned Trask reminding him of Brian Donlevy and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Donlevy's TV and radio series, "Dangerous Assignment", wasn't an inspiration for this character. See the dagger on the cover? In the opening credits of "Dangerous Assignment" a dagger would fly through the air, narrowly missing Steve Mitchell (Donlevy). And then, there is the moustache. Check out an episode on You Tube and see what you think.
The first story was probably the best. Yes, the filling bit was kind of obvious, but still fun. Well drawn and well-paced writing with just the right touch of tongue-in cheek humor. Enjoyed it very much.
Quality's feature stories were usually pretty good, but a lot of the fillers were just awful. The Augie Moore story was no exception. Not particularly funny or even amusing- I had a hard time finishing it.
The second Trask story used the old "I know you know and I know you know I know" ploy pretty well. I do wonder why they would print "Secret Military Code" on the cover of a booklet of secret military codes. And for the second time in the book, we were treated to a view of a garter-holster. Those Quality villainesses sure knew their lingerie! Enjoyed this one also.
The last story, although pretty silly, was also a thumbs-up for me. This one reminds me a little of a Kipling story I read once about an elephant who loved the sergeant- not because he smelled good, but because he would buy her a beer now and then. Both tales had similar consequences.
Absolutely loved this one! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 11:04:34 PM »

Bowers, I wouldn't be surprised if you were right about Dangerous Assignment being an inspiration for T-Man. I'd forgotten all about that series, though when I was in grade-school I listened to weekly episodes of the radio show on a local station. This was the early 60s, so they would have been re-runs. I may have seen some of the TV episodes on a UHF station that carried mostly very old syndicated shows, but I can't remember. That station was a treasure...shows like Racket Squad, Four Just Men, China Smith, Boston Blackie, and on and on.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 11:11:18 PM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 05:29:26 AM »

So at long last I get to find out what T -Man (aka Pete Trask) is all about. When I first saw this title I thought it mighty peculiar to have what I thought at the time was a taxman fronting a title. But I am now older and wiser, and realize that not only is he a special agent, but there must be something to T-Man to have lasted over 5 years and 38 issues!

I have just read the first story and it was really good. Completely of its time: Italy, spies, beautiful women ... you could hear the music and Cary Grant! Pete Trask, is rat pack suave with a touch of Marlowe. A great comic book character, and at least in the first story the book managed to also create an atmosphere!

The next story introducing the "Teen Terrors" (most of whom looked as thought they were in their 30s) was OK ... but we want more T-Man.

Wishes do come true! This was just as good as the first one. I really do like T-Man. He has style. Next a one page a murder and the mystery solved story, which was good enough. The last T-Man story "The Elephant Who Loved Flowers", really demonstrates how times have changed with the fall of communism and the rise of Islamic fundamentalism. Let's leave it at that!

Verdict: T-Man is one cool dude and this was a very well crafted book. It also as I mentioned earlier created that stylised 50's suaveness. I am a fan of the tax inspector!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.