in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,842 books
 New: 96 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Wednesday Comics

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Wednesday Comics  (Read 2709 times)

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Wednesday Comics
« on: July 09, 2009, 08:45:28 AM »

This one is offbeat and retro enough that I wanted to discuss it here, or at least start a thread on it.  It's a beautiful idea, even if I think it will read better after we have the first few weeks under our belts- we need cliffhangers we're looking forward to to get the full effect.

It's a beautiful way to display the art, and it's interesting to see the different approaches to the format.  I agree with the reviewer (I can't remember who) who said we could have used at least one or two "humor" features as balance.  Somewhat to my surprise, the features I most enjoyed were some of the ones I was least interested in based on the little information we had going in.  Supergirl, while perhaps a little too cute, actually worked as a single strip as well as part one of a serial.  Flash, with the double strips, actually looks closer to most of the old Sunday Pages I've seen.  Mind you, they normally had one large and one smaller strip, but the idea is there.  And the two about equal comics is at least close to what I remember when I was young in the 70's.  (I think my paper had 3 to a page, normally.  I know for a fact they weren't nearly as cramped as they were now.)  And the Wonder Woman, which seems to have left a lot of people cold, drew me in more than the others, at least in part because of how much they crammed into one page.  By contrast, Sgt. Rock could have been a normal sized comic page without much damage to the storytelling.  It's always a cause for joy to see Joe Kubert doing new work, but it didn't play with the format like most of the others.

I'm guilty of, for the first time I can recall, of buying a copy of a book to store as well as one to read.  Given the size I fully expect the early issues to be damaged by the time issue 12 hits; and I don't want to worry about that.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 04:11:59 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Wednesday Comics
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 04:12:40 PM »

Ok, I guess I have to visit a comic shop some day just to see this new format.

Thanks for the review Eric, anyone else have an opinion?
:)
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 04:26:12 PM »

This one is offbeat and retro enough that I wanted to discuss it here, or at least start a thread on it.  It's a beautiful idea, even if I think it will read better after we have the first few weeks under our belts- we need cliffhangers we're looking forward to to get the full effect.

It's a beautiful way to display the art, and it's interesting to see the different approaches to the format.  I agree with the reviewer (I can't remember who) who said we could have used at least one or two "humor" features as balance.  Somewhat to my surprise, the features I most enjoyed were some of the ones I was least interested in based on the little information we had going in.  Supergirl, while perhaps a little too cute, actually worked as a single strip as well as part one of a serial.  Flash, with the double strips, actually looks closer to most of the old Sunday Pages I've seen.  Mind you, they normally had one large and one smaller strip, but the idea is there.  And the two about equal comics is at least close to what I remember when I was young in the 70's.  (I think my paper had 3 to a page, normally.  I know for a fact they weren't nearly as cramped as they were now.)  And the Wonder Woman, which seems to have left a lot of people cold, drew me in more than the others, at least in part because of how much they crammed into one page.  By contrast, Sgt. Rock could have been a normal sized comic page without much damage to the storytelling.  It's always a cause for joy to see Joe Kubert doing new work, but it didn't play with the format like most of the others.

I'm guilty of, for the first time I can recall, of buying a copy of a book to store as well as one to read.  Given the size I fully expect the early issues to be damaged by the time issue 12 hits; and I don't want to worry about that.

I might have an opinion if I knew just WHAT this approach was. Is there an overall statement/description somewhere to fill us in on what's  being discussed?
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 05:09:37 PM »

I might have an opinion if I knew just WHAT this approach was. Is there an overall statement/description somewhere to fill us in on what's  being discussed?

I was surprised that Google actually wanted to help me on this one:

http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/comics/?cm=12047

I may look into it.  I'm trying very hard not to form an opinion until I see it.  To say more would be to start down the ranty path about "what DC never does right," and I could very well be wrong here...
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 06:20:02 PM »

Oh, sorry.  It's basically a 12-week series being produced like an old Sunday Funnies section: on (heavy) newsprint, with pages four times as big as a normal comic; with each feature taking a full page.  The features are Batman, Kamandi, Superman, Deadman, Green Lantern, Metamorpho (by Neil Gaiman and Mike Allred), Teen Titans, Strange Adventures with Adam Strange, Supergirl, Metal Men (written by Dan Didiot* but drawn by Jose Luis Garcia Lopez, possibly the most underrated artist in comics for the past 4 decades), Wonder Woman, Sgt. Rock (drawn by Joe Kubert), Flash, Demon/Catwoman, and Hawkman (by Kyle Baker).

USA today is carrying the Superman strip on its website; the first page only was actually in the paper yesterday. Unfortunately, the particular "painted" style they used on that strip didn't really didn't work for me.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/2009-07-07-superman1_N.htm

It's very much an experiment, and with just one week it's too early to see just how it works.  But at the very least it's a showcase for the artwork.  And if nothing else, the idea is just FUN in a way comics so often aren't these days.

*Not a typo  :P
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.