in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,879 books
 New: 98 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

No email no verification almost no nothing

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: No email no verification almost no nothing  (Read 1952 times)

JWMcCalvin

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: JWMcCalvin
message icon
No email no verification almost no nothing
« on: February 26, 2010, 01:25:58 AM »

Quite honestly, I was shocked--shocked!--to learn that I am at least registered sufficiently to post messages to this forum, as I am not able to download any files from the website . . . mainly because despite many attempts and well-that-didn't-work-let-me-try-this-email address changes, no verification has ever arrived, not even in an email spam folder. For all the good that it did, what GAC sent to any of the addresses provided could have been rerouted by malcontents to the Depths of Hell. So, my obvious questions are, what might be occurring (aside from the Depths of Hell business), and for that matter, is there anything I could have missed doing--e.g. firewalls, web option setups, anti-spyware exceptions, etc.?
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: No email no verification almost no nothing
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 01:30:55 AM »

You used the same email and password to sign in on the download site that you did here on the forum site, yes? Other than that, expect Yoc to come along and to try and assist you.

For what it is worth, I do understand how it is driving you nuts to not be able to get at these gems.

B.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 04:26:42 AM by boox909 »
ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 03:28:38 AM »

hmm...if you only knew how much time it has taken all the admin/mods who do this for free, perhaps you would ask how you could help the site rather then complain.

Writing a message about a comic you read, helping the site develop content or donating (to fix some program bugs or upgrade to a faster server) are positive contributions - while we move forward. I am sorry that some do not see helping the site as a viable alternative  then complaining. I read the complaints of users with all these demands and expectations from staff that do not get paid and do this as a hobby and I simply just shake my head is disbelief now.

Do something great to make this site better like developing graphics, a blog, a character database etc - would probably get you VIP status. Whatever it is I want to read positive comments on building this site and making it better.

The truth is this site can not handle now, or in the past unlimited downloads per day for everyone. There are key people here, notably the scanners (thank you!!) and the admin/mods (thank you!!) that make the site happen. Our donatators (we are not taking any right now) and possibly content contributors would be other key people here.

Now the site can handle unlimited downloads over a period of days (which is what everyone on the site has, only certain groups are not having their daily quotas renewed allowing them to download unlimited over repeated days.

We are all lucky that Yoc has a heart of gold and has worked tirelessly on this site for everyone.

I personally do not want to see any admin/mods over exert themselves when we do this as a hobby as we try very hard to make this the best goldenage site on the internet. If anyone wants to help the site in scans/content or future donations (and we are NOT accepting any donatations right now) please contact me directly.

Otherwise - Be patient or leave. I will not mind at all.

Janus's words of advice: Its never a good idea to irritate the people that make this site happen.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 03:54:22 AM by Janus of Latium »
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 05:18:53 AM »

Sorry about the problem with the activation email JWMcCalvin, unfortunately the site is still not fully working after the recent problems and we are still trying to find a way to get everything up and running, most of the staff are just comic fans like yourself rather than programming wizards. Please be patient.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 06:45:04 AM »

Hello JWM,
I'll send you a Private Message on the particulars.

I believe I might have fixed the email problem tonight.  I've done two 'email a friend' test from an uploaded scan and got them fine so you can try to change your email address again if you want but that's not the source of your not downloading anything problem.

I've manually reset your daily limit for today as well,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

JWMcCalvin

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: JWMcCalvin
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 12:49:05 AM »

First, my thanks to those who provided support with regard to this situation, especially Yoc.  My apologies to anyone that I may have irritated; it was certainly not my intention to do so.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 01:01:48 AM »

No problem JWM, your posts helped clearly point out the need for the email function to be fixed.
I'm just happy as hell I managed to stumble across the fix with help from Janus.

Enjoy the scans!
-Yoc
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.