in house dollar bill thumbnail
Comic Book Plus In-House Image
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 229 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Captain Silver's Log of the Sea Hound

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Captain Silver's Log of the Sea Hound  (Read 948 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« on: December 17, 2014, 01:48:40 AM »

This is a very interesting comic. The text page indicates it's an adaptation of a radio show, one I've never heard of. But the pacing of the story, along with the way the lettering changes size and the empty space over the first balloon in some of the panels, gives me the impression this was originally supposed to be a newspaper strip.

Odd that there's no indicia. Also, the text page says this is the second issue of the comic.

Link to the book: Captain Silver's Log of the Sea Hound
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 12:32:30 PM »

It was a fairly popular American radio program in the 1940s. It was created by Fran (The Lone Ranger) Striker.  Archive.org has several episodes which we could host here at CB+.

Avon published two issues in 1945, the one we have and one simply titled Sea Hound.  Another two issues were published in 1949 by Captain Silver Syndicate.  In Australia Atlas also published four issues in 1949.

Your speculation about a comic strip is correct.  There was a short-lived strip drawn by Jon Blummer that ran from 1944-46.  Ger Apeldoorn has some samples at his fabulous Fifties blog-

http://allthingsger.blogspot.com/2012/08/loup-of-faith-thursday-story-strip-day.html

There was also a 1947 serial from Columbia starring Buster Crabbe.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 04:12:52 PM »

Joe beat me to it.  But to add his pretty comprehensive answer, here are the covers for the Aus. Atlas issues:-
http://www.ausreprints.com/content/main/?series=4194
I'm certain these are landscape format and as the page says the comics are newspaper strip reprints, then I assume they are by Blummer.
The American issues are slightly confusing and I think Overstreet might have the info. back to front.  The issue we have is #2.  No indicia but there is a note on our page 46.  Overstreet lists the first issue as nn and featuring a 28 page story tiled, "The Esmeralda's Treasure". These 2 make up the Avon run. 
The Sea Hound from 1949,  according to Overstreet, are numbered 3 and 4
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.