in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,842 books
 New: 96 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Big John Buscema

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Big John Buscema  (Read 10328 times)

mmt

• Past Member
message icon
Big John Buscema
« on: August 19, 2009, 07:57:36 PM »

Hello Everybody,

Let me introduce myself to all of the smart people of this messageboard.

I am Michel Maillot from France, 52 years old (sigh) comic book collector and original art too since 1969 for french translation and 1970 for original US books. I have been a true fan of Jack Kirby, Gil Kane, Gene Colan, George Tuska, Steve Ditko, Marie Severin and everyone who were around at this time, but above all, I have been a fan before a friend of the late John Buscema.

You can see this if you follow the link http://pagesperso-orange.fr/michel.maillot

You will find the John Buscema checklist I built from 1996 and still working these days.

If I am here and if this list exists, it's for a big part with the incredible help and knowledge of Jim Vadeboncoeur jr.
I found a link in a GCD entry while searching for some new information.

I was surprised to see a lot of correction done by a French guy related to a French fanzine Back-up who mainly built his list with mine freely accessed from Internet.

Of course a reference would have been welcomed and especially to Jim as he was the "source" of almost everything for the pre 1966 era section except a few titles I already knew from the Overstreet and maybe one or two books I found later.
Even when I found something, I always asked Jim if he agreed with me either with his book, either sending him some scans. it's the way we added the Famous Stars issue to the checklist.

So the checklist is here for you, any comments can be gladly done, addition can be checked too.

I have to say this site is real great, I already had a look to some Indian Chief books and will probably ask Jim what he think about it. Same thing about this supposed artwork by John in Ramar of the Jungle books, Deep treasure in #3 referenced by GCD then by the Back up French magazine seems to be a real mistake for a 1956 Buscema artwork.

Anyway thank you folks for all the great work and a big hello to Jim, I hope we will meet soon in Paris !

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Big John Buscema
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 08:28:45 PM »

Welcome to the site M, Jim uses the screen name JVJ here when he posts.

Enjoy the goodies,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 09:12:46 PM »

1957 was a good year to be born. All the best people were born then  ;D
ip icon Logged

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 09:16:50 PM »

Funny I always thought that 1956 was THE vintage year myself.  ;) ;D

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

mmt

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 09:24:28 PM »

I was born December, 13 1956 very near 1957 but still in 1956, anyway the 50's were THE vintage years !!!
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 11:42:16 PM »

Hello Everybody,

I am Michel Maillot from France, 52 years old (sigh) comic book collector and original art too since 1969 for french translation and 1970 for original US books. I have been a true fan of Jack Kirby, Gil Kane, Gene Colan, George Tuska, Steve Ditko, Marie Severin and everyone who were around at this time, but above all, I have been a fan before a friend of the late John Buscema.

You can see this if you follow the link http://pagesperso-orange.fr/michel.maillot

You will find the John Buscema checklist I built from 1996 and still working these days.

If I am here and if this list exists, it's for a big part with the incredible help and knowledge of Jim Vadeboncoeur jr. I found a link in a GCD entry while searching for some new information.

I was surprised to see a lot of correction done by a French guy related to a French fanzine Back-up who mainly built his list with mine freely accessed from Internet.

Hello, Michel. I am glad to hear from you and sorry we missed each other this Spring is Paris. I will be returning September 19th. We MUST meet. Last time (in April) I met with Tristan Lapoussi
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 01:09:29 AM by JVJ »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 02:58:08 AM »

correction made thanks Jim
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 07:10:45 AM »

Hi, there, Mike!  (And confidentially, guys, I'd like to add in a vote for 1954 as MY fave year...at least, I was born then!)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 02:03:54 PM »

Yeah but we have the 1957 Chevy to represent
ip icon Logged

mmt

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 08:35:46 PM »

Hello Everybody,

If I am here and if this list exists, it's for a big part with the incredible help and knowledge of Jim Vadeboncoeur jr. I found a link in a GCD entry while searching for some new information.

Hello, Michel. I am glad to hear from you and sorry we missed each other this Spring is Paris. I will be returning September 19th. We MUST meet. Last time (in April) I met with Tristan Lapoussi
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:46:35 PM by mmt »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 10:05:02 PM »

Hello Jim, Nice to hear from you too. About Tristan, it's been a whole year I sent him scans of Big John's Marvel romance books and asked him about the titles he added to our list in his fanzine and did not get any reply. I was very doubtful about the Ramar book and some of his references to some Prince Valiant four colors but we never know.

Prince Valiant four colors are all Bob Fujitani, Michel. There's never been a question of that. Who is suggesting otherwise?

What I could have done is forward a message where you checked some Big John's books, I checked my email boxes but did not find something I should have sent him, very weird, I will ask if I can reach him.

I think that is what he showed me - the email I sent you answering a long list of JB questionable attributions.

I was asking myself if there were some early works by John in Indian Chief#3,4,5 and 10 ?

The Chief stories in 3,4,5 are by Alberto Giollitti and the second one in 5 is by Tom Gill. In #10, it all looks like Jon Small and George Roussos.

I am still living there and I hope we will meet in september, it would be ridiculous to live so close and miss each other one more time !

Here's the contact information for getting in touch. Give me a couple of days to activate the mobile number, but we should be answering the landline any time after the 19th.
Ph. 01 42 63 99 93 ou 06 80 96 46 79

Peace, Jim (|:{>
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:43:40 AM by JVJ »
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 10:48:01 PM »

The reference was OK in Tristan's Backup magazine, it was just to see the GCD corrections related to Backup without a word talking about you

ps. The GCD "credit" just indicates the SOURCE of the information. Tristan may have had NOTHING to do with the adding the data, but the person who updated the GCD was just saying where the information came from.

see you soon? Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

jrvandore

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: jrvandore
message icon
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 01:52:42 AM »

I was one of the editors who entered some of the John Buscema credits reported to the errors list which reference Back-Up.  They were NOT submitted by Tristan.

If we had no credits already recorded, we (by which I mean the GCD) generally added the submitted John Buscema credits without question.  In every case where I added these credits I added in the notes the source as Back-Up, but since I knew nothing more about that publication, I could not give credit to you, Michel.  At some point it may be possible to search on "back-up" and find all the instances to add your name, Michel.

Michel, the GCD would be happy to indicate where you differ from Tristan in crediting or not crediting John Buscema.  We accept all corrections at errors.comics.org.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 04:19:47 AM »

Thanks for the information, jr.
It's what I expected. I think many of the GCD's world-wide visitors have a more "organized" vision of its workings. Michel and I put together the Buscema index about 10-12 years ago and Tristan devoted a goodly portion of one issue of Back-Up to reprinting it and expanding it somewhat. Tristan acknowledged his debt to our efforts (although it's all in French, so I'm assuming it's saying nice things about us) in the introduction to the piece. I can't speak for the post 1965 material, since I was not involved with assembling that, but I'd estimate that 98-99% of the earlier material originated from Michel's and my list. I have ZERO interest in "claiming" credit on GCD. The credit belongs to Mr. Buscema - all I ever did was to make certain that he received it.

Again, thank you for explaining things to Michel.

ip icon Logged

mmt

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 03:09:29 PM »

Prince Valiant four colors are all Bob Fujitani, Michel. There's never been a question of that. Who is suggesting otherwise?

They are all in the Back-up#14 checklist

I think that is what he showed me - the email I sent you answering a long list of JB questionable attributions.

I found the message under another email address, yes it was a list of differences I extracted from the Back_up checklist with your answers. I transferred it to Tristan to show his mistakes.

The Chief stories in 3,4,5 are by Alberto Giollitti and the second one in 5 is by Tom Gill. In #10, it all looks like Jon Small and George Roussos.

Thank's about the infos, Jim.
You know what I am thinking about ?
Maybe I should add to the checklist a "Not by John Buscema" section to list everything we checked to avoid the same questions.

Here's the contact information for getting in touch. Give me a couple of days to activate the mobile number, but we should be answering the landline any time after the 19th.
Ph. 01 42 63 99 93 ou 06 80 96 46 79

Everything is noted in my address book !

ip icon Logged

mmt

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 03:15:37 PM »

ps. The GCD "credit" just indicates the SOURCE of the information. Tristan may have had NOTHING to do with the adding the data, but the person who updated the GCD was just saying where the information came from.

see you soon? Peace, Jim (|:{>

In fact I am just too quick when writing, all the corrections were made with credits to Stephane Petit who used the Back-up checklist as source, Tristan was not involved.
ip icon Logged

mmt

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 03:27:36 PM »

I was one of the editors who entered some of the John Buscema credits reported to the errors list which reference Back-Up.  They were NOT submitted by Tristan.

If we had no credits already recorded, we (by which I mean the GCD) generally added the submitted John Buscema credits without question.  In every case where I added these credits I added in the notes the source as Back-Up, but since I knew nothing more about that publication, I could not give credit to you, Michel.  At some point it may be possible to search on "back-up" and find all the instances to add your name, Michel.

Michel, the GCD would be happy to indicate where you differ from Tristan in crediting or not crediting John Buscema.  We accept all corrections at errors.comics.org.

Hello,

It's not really a problem, and GCD has nothing to do with it, in fact all these infos have been transferred through a lot of hands and I just thought Jim should have been credited. If I was a little bit less lazy, I should have taken the time to give all these infos to GCD before. I know Jim is not looking for credits, it's just my old fashioned point of view !!!

Thank you for your message and explanations
ip icon Logged

mmt

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 03:32:19 PM »

The credit belongs to Mr. Buscema - all I ever did was to make certain that he received it.

And you did, I cannot thank you enough for that !
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 07:32:54 PM »

Thank's about the infos, Jim.
You know what I am thinking about ?
Maybe I should add to the checklist a "Not by John Buscema" section to list everything we checked to avoid the same questions.

You know, Michel, this is something that I did for the Alex Toth checklist and I strongly suggested the same to Ray Wyman, Jr. back in 1990 when he was gathering information for The Art of Jack Kirby. Perhaps he kept a record somewhere, but it didn't get published in the Blue Rose edition of the book that I own. But if you have a copy of the original Indispensible Alex Toth Index, you'll see each title has a list of issues that were reviewed. It's a good idea in that it has the potential to eliminate the intrusion or recurrence of certain types of errors.

See you in the 17
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 07:46:21 PM by JVJ »
ip icon Logged

mmt

• Past Member
message icon
Big John Buscema artwork exhibition
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2009, 09:21:24 PM »

Hello everybody,

This is it, beginning September,17 until November,8 there will be a John Buscema artwork exhibition at the museum Casal Solleric, Passeig del Born 27, Palma de mallorca, Spain
This is in the main Balearic Island in the Mediterranean sea.
Dolores Buscema should be there at the opening, maybe with Dianne and maybe with Stephanie !
Three generations of nice ladies of the Buscema family to support this homage to their husband, father and grand father.
A book will be made with text about John and a lot of pictures of the artwork displayed.
A lot of my pages and sketches will be there plus awesome pieces from Albert Moy, David Mandell and some Spanish guys too.

If you are in Europe at that time and if you love Big John you HAVE to be there.

All the best

Michel
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 05:53:13 PM »

Thanks for the news Michel.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.