in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,887 books
 New: 90 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

world war comics and g/novels

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: world war comics and g/novels  (Read 2230 times)

wildthing423

• VIP
message icon
world war comics and g/novels
« on: May 06, 2011, 12:55:31 AM »

I am now enrolled in an independent scholar/study program.  It has a dual purpose, to add onto my fine arts degree and partly as a historian with the end results being  that I must take from a point of insertion of my choice in history and move it forward...graphically as well as , being as historically accurate as I can possibly be.As this is an independent  and somewhat self directed study I chose to take events that changed the world, ww1 and ww2 and viet nam how one is affected and or dis-affected.  Though I have 2 years to complete and present this I feel I will never be able to cover the gambit of thing and places and traumatic events.  So, i would like to ask all of you for some information if you do not mind answering.

1. For those of you with the knowledge, what are some of the first graphic novels, dime /penniy and tpb novels .
1A. How many of them were crime related and how many of them were ww1 and ww2 related.
2. How many comics that are historically accurate about the world wars are actually on this board so I do not have to get a migraine searching the database.

3.how many of you here have been in a war battle zone and would you share it with me to rendered graphically for inclusion in this project?

Thank you

Mark
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: world war comics and g/novels
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 02:31:50 AM »

I went in the Army right after Vietnam. Many of those who were there do not want to talk about it. I have a friend I will be seeing next month that was special services. I will try to see if he can give me some of his stories because he would have some wild ones.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 05:09:03 PM »

Mark, not sure if I'm on the right track with this, but you might want to take a look at this link:-
http://charleyswar.tripod.com/
I have no other first hand knowledge of war but I still have strong memories of some of the stories I overheard, as a child, of my father's time in the desert in WW2 as a sergeant on a bren gun carrier and of the harrowing things that happened to a couple of his friends. Not stuff that I really want to go into again.
Good luck.
ip icon Logged

wildthing423

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 05:58:30 PM »

I would love of hear them , from anyone... It would be mot helpful.  Oh about the firsr part of my post,  how many  actual war related comics and tpbs are on our site?

and what are some of the firsts as I asked previously.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 04:46:58 PM »

Mark,

As far as comic books go- War comics as a genre didn't really develop until the Korean War in 1950.  During WWII there were many references to the war in comic books, in just about every genre, as superheroes and larger than life characters (such as Airboy in Air Fighters and the Blackhawks in Military Comics) fought saboteurs, spies and the axis powers and the more down to earth characters raised victory gardens, dealt with rationing, collected paper and metal for the war effort, and encouraged people to buy war bonds and stamps. 
However there were very few comic books that dealt exclusively with the average soldiers/sailors fighting the war.  Dell did have War Comics, War Stories and War Heroes and there were probably a few other short series as well as one shots and various backup features that featured war genre stories but what we think of as "war comics" just didn't really take off at this time.

After the Korean war started in 1950 things changed.  Superhero comics had been in decline for years and crime comics had been under attack from various quarters so a war comic with a patriotic theme attached to it seemed like a safe bet to show off plenty of action and violence without getting much in the way of complaints.
Ziff-Davis was one of the first to tackle the genre with their very successful G. I. Joe and others soon followed.  Within the next few years quite a few publishers jumped on the bandwagon and by the end of 1952 there were numerous war comics on the newsstands.  Some took a humorous slant, some featured the larger than life characters (that had been around even during WWII) but many were just about the average fighting man. The genre imploded in 1953 as the Korean war fizzled to a stalemate and many war titles were cancelled that year.

Not all war titles were cancelled though and some publishers kept their foot in the genre and even built their stable of war titles back up again although stories about the glories of WWII came to dominate the genre as the years progressed. By the 1980s most war comics were gone for good with only occasional short-lived revivals.

When Vietnam came along few comics touched on the conflict at the time.  Dell's Jungle War Stories and Warren's Blazing Combat were among the few comics to feature Vietnam war stories while the conflict was ongoing in the 1960s.  Most publishers didn't do comics on the conflict until years after it was over. 

The above synopsis of mine is a very condensed and generalized look at the genre history and there are some publishers whom I'm still woefully ignorant of (I've only looked over the Korean War era Fiction House titles for example).  I'm sure others can add to (and correct where needed) what little I've said here.

Anyway here's some 1940s and 1950s war comics you'll find on the site -

Dell- War Comics, War Stories, War Heroes

Ace- Atomic War, War Heroes, World War III

Ajax-Farrell- Battle Report, Fighting Man, G. I. in Battle, Men in Action, War Report, War Stories

American Comics Group (ACG)- Commander Battle and His Atomic Submarine, Operation Peril (slected issues), Spy and Counter Spy, Spy-Hunters

Avon- Buddies in the U.S. Army, Captain Steve Savage, Fighting Undersea Commandos, U.S. Paratroops

Better-  Battlefront, Jet Fighters, Joe Yank, This is War

Charlton- Attack, Battlefield Action, Fightin' Air Force, Fightin' Army, Fightin' Marines, Fightin' Navy, Soldier and Marines Comics, U.S. Air Force, War at Sea

Comic Media-  War Fury

Eastern-  Heroic Comics (selected stories)

Fawcett-  Battle Stories, Bill Battle, Soldier Comics

Fiction House-  Jet Aces, War Birds, Wings Comics

Harvey-  Fighting Fronts, True War Experiences, War Battles, Warfront

Key-  Battle Attack, Battle Cry, Battle Fire, Battle Squadron, Navy Task Force

Magazine Enterpises (ME)-  American Air Forces, U.S. Marines

Quality-  G.I. Combat, Yanks in Battle

St. John-  Anchors the Salt Water Daffy, Atom-Age Combat, Canteen Kate, Fightin' Marines

Toby-  Monty Hall, Tell it to the Marines

Youthful-  Attack, Atomic Attack

Ziff-Davis-  G. I. Joe

The Silver Age Sidestreet section has several examples of Charlton's 1960s war comics as well.   

You'll probably also want to check out what individual issues the DCM (Digital Comics Museum) has.

I'm sure I missed a number of titles and maybe others can fill in gaps there too.  There's also the matter of cross genre titles such as the romance/war comic titles which I didn't even touch on.

There are of course a number of titles which we can't host here because they are still under copyright.  These would include Marvel's 500 plus war comics published between 1950-1960, DC's popular war titles (All-American Men of War, Our Army at War, Our Fighting Forces, Star Spangled War Stories) and EC's titles Two-Fisted Tales and Frontline Combat (generally considered about the finest war comics of the 1950s).

Anyway this should give you something to start with. 

Best of luck with your project.

Joe
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 06:03:22 PM »

Another one not mentioned was Frogman Comics series from Hillman Publications.

Geo
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.