in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,842 books
 New: 96 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

The New Doctor Who is........

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: The New Doctor Who is........  (Read 4220 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
The New Doctor Who is........
« on: August 04, 2013, 07:15:47 PM »

.......Peter Capaldi.  Couldn't be better.
http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/doctor-peter-capaldi-doctor-183700854.html
I trust you've all seen him cursing his way through The Thick Of It?
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
Re: The New Doctor Who is........
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 09:56:48 PM »

Yeah,he should be good.but I have never seen him on that show.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 11:14:10 PM »

I know the face - as a villain in something I think.
I'll have to give him a look when it starts up again.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 05:18:30 PM »

They say Bill Nighy turned down the role of the Doctor. Don't blame him since he no doubt has major movie offers that would be compromised by a contract for a series.
He'd make a great Doctor, but an even better recurring guest villain.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 08:10:57 PM »

What could be more major than Dr. Who? Forget James Bond. There is only one Captain Kirk and one Columbo (pet love). But blimey to turn down Dr. Who would be madness, iconic status beckons
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 08:41:31 PM »

What could be more major than Dr. Who? Forget James Bond. There is only one Captain Kirk and one Columbo (pet love). But blimey to turn down Dr. Who would be madness, iconic status beckons

Unfortunately this sort of role can devour an actor.
Take Blake's 7 for example. Gareth Thomas would only agree to return for the final season if they killed his character off so he wouldn't be asked to return if the series were rebooted.

When Ed O'Neil finished his run with "Married with Children" he found it difficult to fit into other roles.
He had been picked as a military lawyer in the film "Flight of the Intruder" and very serious role. When he began the scene everyone broke out laughing and they had to cast another actor in the role. No one on set could keep a straight face. Apparently Al Bundy in a uniform just was too much for their funny bones.

Nighy's next major role will be as one of the original fallen angels cast into hell along with Satan. The film is "I Frankenstein" set for a 2014 release.

The man can really play the villain, even when his appearance is completely obscured by make up or CGI effects, as Davy Jones in two of the pirates of the Carribean series and the Vampire overlord of the Underworld franchise, his menacing tone comes through.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 08:56:30 PM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 08:10:13 PM »

Actually, your man, Gareth Thomas didn't really do much after B7. I think he thought he was too much of a "serious" actor for this t.v. entertainment for the masses stuff.  He seems to have gone to theatre and that's not as much in the public eye.
Re. Peter Capaldi, I've been trying to find some clips from The Thick Of It to illustrate his power as an actor but I really am frightened of what reaction there would be, how much offence I would cause and how hard Mark would skelp me round the head.
So, if you want to see one of the foulest, funniest, political satires ever made and a biting indictment of British politics and spin doctors, look up the title on you tube.  BUT BE PREPARED!!!!!

There are times when Capaldi is so menacing.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 09:49:49 PM »

I have to admit I have always been a bit confused about all the fuss over Dr. Who. I've caught the odd Dr show here and there and I've liked what I've seen but never managed to catch the show on a regular basis. I have changed that now that I have "accquired" seasons 1 through 5 so I guess I have a bit of catching up to do. Say,....anyone here a Lexx fan?

RB @ Work
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 10:49:39 PM »

I watched all of Lexx originally but do not remember too much about it. I enjoyed it at the time.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 11:41:13 PM »

For most of my life I couldn't figure out the attraction of DOCTOR WHO, either--until last year, when I started to watch all of them.

Now my problem is that because I had 50 years to catch up on, I always had lots of WHO to watch. And then when that was done, there was the weekly episodes for a couple of months.

Now there's nothing and November seems a long way away. After having so much to watch, it's hard to get used to having nothing.

Time I started trying to find the audios and the comic books, I guess.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 11:44:18 PM »

I have no idea who this new actor is. I haven't pressed the link. Have skipped over the posts that talk about him.

I want to be surprised this time. When I watched all the WHO episodes, I knew who everyone was going to be. This time, it'll be nice to have my socks knocked off. But with so many months before that happens, I wonder if I can remain unspoiled.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 11:11:19 AM »

I watched all of Lexx originally but do not remember too much about it. I enjoyed it at the time.

Watched the whole series free at Hulu a few years back, don't know if its still available.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 04:38:17 PM »

I'll have to check out Hulu for Lexx to see if it is still available. That would be a nice treat. Thanks!

RB @ Work
ip icon Logged

missal

message icon
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 11:20:36 PM »

If this helps: Peter Capaldi was in the DOCTOR WHO episode "The Fires of Pompeii" (Karen Gillan was also in it).

A much better showcase for him is the miniseries TORCHWOOD: CHILDREN OF EARTH, in which he played a British civil servant. Brilliant, brilliant stuff.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.