in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 181 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 84 - Mr Risk #2

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 84 - Mr Risk #2  (Read 3951 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 84 - Mr Risk #2
« on: August 12, 2015, 08:12:54 PM »

Last week's comic, got a thumbs up ... but we currently appear to be "Reading Group Lite", which is a bit of a shame as the book certainly deserved a read! The door is open, so come on in ... don't be shy and tell us what YOU think about the week's book!!

Anyway, the next choice means we are back to the good old U.S.A. and a book, which after a quick skim over looks like it might be a tad silly!

Here we have Mr Risk # 2 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=23300. The story is the first one (surprise not!) "The Case of the Psychopathic Lady". I wonder which one of my ex's will have a starring role in this one :)

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Week 84 - Mr Risk #2
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 01:59:44 AM »

Ok that was bad and not just so bad it was good it was just bad. So predictable and what a random big surprise. The art was OK but a little stiff but not as stiff as the story and
could not save the story.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 03:00:55 AM »

The Case of the Psycopathic Lady - Okay. Not much of a mystery, but story sails along and the art is nice.

The Case of the Jinxed Airline - A better mystery than the first story.

The Forgetful Chorus Girl - A lot more action than the first two stories.

The Trap - Ehhhh... okay for what it is.

Seeds of Destruction - Not bad, although these days "Poke" isn't likely to be the nickname of a tough guy.

Overall a nice read.
ip icon Logged

jleasure2001

message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 11:51:58 AM »

The art and writing on the book remind me of a kind of copy of Rip Kirby and Raymond/Prentice's style although Prentice would not take over the strip until 1956, I think. The writing is typical pot-boiler kind of stuff. Interesting to see early Gene Colan.
ip icon Logged

Mazzucchelli

message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 01:41:31 PM »

When I started the first story, I thought
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 07:51:18 PM »

what it reminded me of was an E.C. comic...maybe it terms of lettering and style..dunno. Read it all the way through....could have used a little less writing, but oddly enough, needed some more depth...JUST how does Mr. Risk manage to solve crimes,donate the fee and pay his bills? The idea of not using guns and putting the crooks own momentum against them is great...the Cisco Kid ran on just that for years...but nothing was stopping one of the henchmen from plugging Mr Risk at any time when he attacked the other guy first..and they even came up with a decent charity to donate it...usually 'the orphanage' is the benefactor of comic book hero generosity. The 'hard boiled' dialogue was also worth a chuckle.
ip icon Logged

Mazzucchelli

message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 08:15:07 PM »

You are very right indeed Morgus. This story resembles a lot EC best moments in their
ip icon Logged

Italo.Perazzoli

message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 04:15:59 PM »

Undoubtedly the title has a great impact and we are curious about the psychopathic girl.

A long introduction of Mr. Risk today is impossible, because the media are more concentrated on a frivolous and superficial information, it must be short and immediate.

This imply that we are educating our mind to not reasoning,

My first impression of Mr. Risk is positive he is a gentleman, a good listener and a man without prejudices.

The plot is very interesting, and in particular if Mr. X and Mr. Ambers is the same person, with twists and humorism.

As a good story there must be a bitter aftertaste and this is the cruelty of the stepfather and his "preoccupation" for his "loved" stepdaughter.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 02:47:53 PM »

Isn't this a version of the Bulldog Drummond movie - apart from landing a plane in fog?
Only my opinion but the art didn't get in the way of the story, in fact, although a little stiff in places, the action was all there. What did get in the way of the story just a bit was the verbiage and I wonder if a better writer, or editor could have brought us the facts with fewer words.  That apart, this was a decent comic and while Mr. Risk and his concerned but two-fisted approach gets the job done, he's not quite in the same league as Rip Kirby and Buck Ryan.  More and more nowadays I find myself enjoying comic genres other than just superheroes and detective stories like this are good fun. 
The 2 attendants who cut up rough give us a couple of exciting panels on our page 7 with a dynamic looking Mr. Risk laying into them.  That "CRACK" in panel 2 is pretty satisfying.
True to his name he really does take risks but while not carrying a gun might be the way I prefer folk behave, it does mean in this comic that the reader knows that he'll overcome a gun-wielding thug with a punch or two and even at the conclusion of the 1st. story, the cops arrive in the nick of time so he still doesn't go down. 
The bulldozer scene in the 2nd, story is quite exciting but we know he's not going to be killed.  Still, good entertainment.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 02:26:02 AM »

This was fun. I enjoyed it. The mysteries aren't very deep, but decent for eight pages, and the art is generally good.

The detectives are interchangeable, with one exception: Mr. Risk's dressing gown. He narrates and fights like a hard-boiled detective but the pipe and dressing gown make him look like one of those upper-class amateurs who were popular in the 1920s. For that matter, did guys actually wear dressing gowns outside of the movies? Especially in the 1950s...they had to have been passe' by then.

The lead story is fine, but I preferred "Jinxed Air Line." The artist really stepped up to the plate for the bulldozer sequence.

Colan's famous dynamism shows in many panels of the Kirk Mason story, though he has a ways to go on his drawing. He's at his best when characters are running and fighting. And there certainly is a lot of fighting in this story. The whole magazine packs plenty of punch!

Unfortunate names department: Alas, the day is past when one can say "dick" without a smirk. My favorite name using this term was Jim Engel's "Dick Duck--Duck Dick!" Furthermore a right to the jaw wasn't what a "poke" was during my misspent youth.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 10:04:09 PM »

Much better than I expected. A little bit of The Saint mixed with The Equalizer and maybe just a touch of Philo Vance. Superior to many other detective comics of the time. Good art helped this book a lot.

The first two stories were short and sweet- a fast and easy read that held my attention. Interesting character, but hardly original.

The Kirk Mason tale was closer to the usual stuff churned out in this genre, but still pretty good. Good action art.

Poke Bancroft was the weakest offering- a little below average.

Thumbs up from me- a fun read. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 01:45:58 PM »

First impression is that this has a great cover. I just hope that the contents are of the same quality.

Wow at last, I have found someone who might be able to help me!! "Mr Risk who answers only the pleas of the DOOMED!"

After reading the first story I think Mr Risk has a real 60's - 70's TV detective feel. There are also some "great" bits of writing that made me chuckle ... "who just escaped from Paradise Sanatorium" ... "a local Elba for exiled Napoleons" .

This is very good indeed! OK the charity giving is way OTT, and even I guessed the VERY STUPID body suit twist, but in my comic book land it works.

The next story is pretty much the same as the first, but as I enjoyed that I am NOT complaining! By the looks of the GCD notes that's the end of Mr Risk in this issue, so I am interested in what'll happen with the next private eye, Kirk Mason.

He was good. I am not sure what the punch count in this book is, but it
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.