in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 194 - Romance 1950s Style

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 194 - Romance 1950s Style  (Read 2451 times)

Kracalactaka

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Kracalactaka
message icon
Week 194 - Romance 1950s Style
« on: August 31, 2018, 04:15:56 PM »

Tom Mix 8 turned out livelier than expected.

And now for something completely different

ACG's Lovelorn #53 An example from the time when ACG was going for lurid covers for their Romance books. I'm gonna guess Ogden Whitney on the cover and 1st story.

The book can be found here: https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=72167

I don't know why the GCD data is not displaying on the page, but here it is, for those who are interested:

https://www.comics.org/issue/259116/ (looks like some more indexing is needed)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 04:33:25 PM by Kracalactaka »
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 194 - Romance 1950s Style
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 01:03:57 AM »

I don't ordinarily give romance comics a second glance but despite the condition and low quality of the original printing the artwork itself looks very good to my unpracticed eye.

The back cover ad for the Panty Girdle with detachable crotch brought a smile.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 09:32:02 AM »

Heart of a Drunkard! - Eh, okay, I guess, but grim tales of addiction are not things I care to read, so I couldn't warm up to it.

Hospital Romance - That doc's a fast operator. This story might have been better had it been a little longer to make the romance believable.

That Little Spark! - So  did Mary and Bert set this up or do they normally leave the baby alone and hope a babysitter shows up to take care of him? Otherwise okay story.

How to Get Yourself Talked About! - I seem to think a previous romance comic in the reading group had a story with the same premise. Otherwise an okay story.

A Matter of Finance - Okay.

Imitation of Love - Cute. Nice to see Edmond Good's work again.

So the selling point for a girdle ad is a "detachable crotch"?  :o
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 02:30:30 PM »

"I'm gonna guess Ogden Whitney on the cover and 1st story."

Ok, Krac, but I'm gonna guess John Rosenberger.  Sorry, that's as far as I could go, Romance comics really don't float my boat.  Still, I remember Rosenberger's style from my teenage readings of the Fly and Jaguar comics... Kirby's Fly was cooler though!  ;)
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 07:40:07 AM »

I think the lead story was written with good intentions. It tries to present alcoholism realistically, but the overly-melodramatic dialogue and captions make the whole thing seem a bit foolish. I'll give them points for trying. By chance I recently read another alcoholic story from the same period, an episode of Captain Easy reprinted in Big Fun Comics. That story was low-key and earnest, and more successful. Alcoholics Anonymous played a big role. I guess the subject was on the public mind in the mid-1950s. I thought maybe the stories were inspired by the film Lost Weekend, but that came out in 1945 so probably not.

The art is definitely by John Rosenberger. Check out page 15 panel 5...a classic Rosenberger male head, including JR's trademark mouth, with a little elliptical opening drawn under the upper lip.

"The Little Spark" was stupid. Funny, when I saw the white shapes in the first panel, I thought they were smoke, and that the couple would be brought together by having to put out a fire. Wrong.

"How to Get Yourself Talked About" reminds me of Richard Hughes' weird stories. While the story is set in the present (i.e. 1954) the small town seems to exist in the 1920s or 1930s, peopled with grey-haired biddies gossiping over the back fence.

"Imitation of Love" is more a standard romance story. The gold-digger is able to dump her sugar daddy with a clear conscience when he finds his own true love. Doesn't entirely satisfy me.

Everyone has commented upon the removable crotch of the 2-in-1 Convertible Panty Girdle, but how could you not also admire the 100% Natural Rubber Power-Lastic Fabric? An amazing value at $2.98...and you can get 'em in size XXXXXX.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 05:35:10 PM »

It snaps in, it snaps out.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 05:54:26 PM »

The art is definitely by John Rosenberger. Check out page 15 panel 5...a classic Rosenberger male head, including JR's trademark mouth, with a little elliptical opening drawn under the upper lip.

Yeah crash, it was the mouth of the tour guide on the first page that clinched it for me.  Damn, and to think I had the first issues of both The Fly and The Double Life of Private Strong...the things you sell when you're a kid...I'd give my left little finger to have them back now! Sorry, I digress!  I snap in and I snap out (of consciousness, that is!) ;)
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 01:21:59 AM »

Loved all the ads, and does ANYBODY know what was in that gum sold on the inside cover?? I actually checked the postal address with the skinny pill ad to see if it was the same company covering their bets from both sides. And yeah, that GARMENT in the back made me laugh out loud. 16 teams in the major league, and the lady who sold the black head treatment looked like the warden for a women's prison. Perfect.

I always had a soft spot of ACG romance comics. Compared to the sappy covers on many other brands, they would get more realistic...to the point that the contrast would make me chuckle. Other publishers just wanted their girls to be noticed by the high school hunk. These folks went for Desolation Row! My only complaint with the first story was that it was too wordy. Like Crash, I give it a lot of time for even bringing the subject up. I wonder if they make it as melodramatic as they did on purpose, to sell the controversial topic? The other stories were well drawn but pretty typical of romance comics. Still a lot of fun and a lot of laughs.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 01:24:15 AM by Morgus »
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 03:59:07 PM »

P.S.: nearly had a stroke on page four. Right there at the top of the page, second panel . The lettering was supposed to say 'slick chick' and I read it as 'suck chick'. I laughed out loud, for a long long time. Hey, in my book, the guy recoiling from her made even MORE sense in that context...The Little Woman was walking by, asked what was up, and I ONLY SHOWED her the panel.
She looks, turns to me and says: "Could they even SAY 'suck chick' back then, or did they just assume people wold think it was about a lady who operates a Hoover vacuum for a living?"
That got me laughing all over again and pounding the table.
ip icon Logged

lyons

message icon
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 01:59:41 AM »

After WW2, super-hero comics declined in popularity, and romance comics began to flourish.  With so many romance titles on the market, it became known as the "Love Glut." - each book being indistinguishable from the next.  ACG's explicit cover was their attempt to stand out in a very crowded romance market.   
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 06:06:56 AM »

"Love Glut". What a great title for a song by either Keith Urban or Shania Twain!
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 08:40:47 AM »

The Love Glut soon will be making another run,
The Love Glut promises something for everyone,
Set a course for adventure, your heart on a distant shore...

Aaack!

*SuperScrounge gets beat up by everyone who had managed to get that old theme song out of their heads*

;)
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.