in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 173 - Your Vote Is Vital!

Pages: 1 [2]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 173 - Your Vote Is Vital!  (Read 6327 times)

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 173 - Your Vote Is Vital!
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2019, 09:01:55 PM »

I'm not politically motivated in any direction but when I look at modern America, I see a kakistocracy

I thought that word was spelt: "cacqui". 
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2019, 10:38:43 PM »

Andrew999
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2019, 04:25:19 PM »

With a few obvious changes needed, this should still be given out in civics classes. I hear far too many say that they do not vote. For the most part I am glad that they do not. Anyone who does not know what the candidates stand for should stay at home.  I like how Uncle Sam stresses personal responsibility to know who you are voting for and why.

Exactly!  How else could anyone like Donald Trump become leader of the most powerful country in The World by (essentially - other than possible tweaking of the electoral college) popular vote?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2019, 05:16:03 PM »

Interesting views.  Just an update; we've had the first tv debate with only Corbyn and Johnson invited to take part, which ignores the SNP - the third largest party in the Commons - and the Liberal Democrats. Viewers were presented with 2 right chancers blethering on at one point about Scotland's future and no right of reply from a Scottish SNP member of parliament. As this is a first past the post election, it is entirely possible that the SNP or Liberals could hold the balance of power.  You'd think they should have the right to be heard.  However, according to Prof. of Politics, John Curtice, it looks like the dreadful Boris will get a majority. I will use my vote.
But I'll wave as Scotland sinks below the waterline.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2019, 05:43:25 PM »

I'm not Scottish, don't live in Scotland - so I have no axe to grind - but watching Johnson's dismissal of an independence referendum, and Corbyn's weak failure to defend the right of self-determination, would tell me, if I were a Scot, all I needed to know about how I should vote in this election.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2019, 08:00:08 PM »

If I were a Scot, I'd vote for Independence and hope my country would join The EU.  The English had no more business being in Scotland than they had being in India nor any of the other countries the conquered.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 06:02:20 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2019, 06:01:48 AM »

With a few obvious changes needed, this should still be given out in civics classes. I hear far too many say that they do not vote. For the most part I am glad that they do not. Anyone who does not know what the candidates stand for should stay at home.  I like how Uncle Sam stresses personal responsibility to know who you are voting for and why.

Exactly!  How else could anyone like Donald Trump become leader of the most powerful country in The World by (essentially - other than possible tweaking of the electoral college) popular vote?

Trump won for the same reason any republican wins, the democrats keep forgetting that they have to appeal to the entire population not just chosen minorities and left leaners. They also can't seem to grasp the concept of the Electoral College. Which is strange since they came up with it to allow slave states to used the 3/5ths of a person rule to give them more political pull than the number of those free citizens qualified to vote than would have normally allowed.
Clinton's elitism played her false, she took too much for granted and alienated many who would have voted for her.
Trump was a political unknown. He didn't carry a lot o baggage back then.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2019, 02:59:27 PM »

Captain Audio - full marks for your analysis.I agree with you. However the Democrats did not come up with the electoral college, it was created by the The Founders who sat in the 1787 Constitutional Convention.
If I was a voter in the US I would make it my business to understand it.
Here is an article defending the Electoral College by the Washington Post, which is very far from being pro Donald Trump.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/11/15/in-defense-of-the-electoral-college/

My other observation, is that contrary to the delusions of politicians, Voters usually vote to deny one candidate their vote, which doesn't make them pro the candidate they vote for, they vote for the better of two bad choices.
If you look at a UK map showing the vote in the referendum, the leave vote carried all electorates in England, and almost none in Ireland, Wales and Scotland. Draw your own conclusions.
Cameron listened and talked and took advice only from those in his own social strata. It did not occur to him that he might get a majority leave vote. Consequence: Today's United Kingdom. 
Viewers were presented with 2 right chancers blethering on at one point about Scotland's future and no right of reply from a Scottish SNP member of parliament.

I get the anger and the pain, Paw! 
On the Subject of Europe and the Common Marker, I highly recommend,
Adults in the Room: My Battles With Europe
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.