in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Wanted: Target Comics with Batmanesque Target and the Targeteers

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Wanted: Target Comics with Batmanesque Target and the Targeteers  (Read 2406 times)

BobS

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: BobS
message icon
Wanted: Target Comics with Batmanesque Target and the Targeteers
« on: December 02, 2006, 04:19:45 AM »

At least a couple issues of Target Comics have a Bob Wood Target and the Targeteers story that looks almost more like early Batman than early Batman.

Was Bob Wood a Bob Kane ghost artist too?

Otherwise Target Comics used to seem to me to be pretty mediocre. I'd really like scans of those issues with
Batmanesque Target and the Targeteers tho.

Bob
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Wanted: Target Comics with Batmanesque Target and the Targeteers
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 06:18:50 AM »

I second the motion!
The stories I've read from GoldenYears and Pure Excitement were great!

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Glens46golden

message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 02:42:51 AM »

Bob Wood drew in the same style as Bob Kane.  Bob Wood moved over to Lev Gleason where he drew Silver Street and then became co-editor with Charlie Biro on Daredevil, Boy and Crime Does Not Pay.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 08:48:33 PM »

Giving the Wood work on Target a cursory look, I do see some of the similarities to the early Bob Kane Batman (at least in the secondary characters). But since this Wood art is circa 1941, it resembles Kane Batman circa 1939--whereas, thanks to George Roussos and Jerry Robinson, the Batman art in 1941 was going through a metamorphosis.

Also, it would be more correct to say that in 1939 Kane was trying to draw Batman in the style of other artists--since Kane's own style was better suited to cartoon characters as in his "Ginger Snap" or "Rusty and his Pals." Bob was told by his editor--Vin Sullivan--that the action-adventure character Superman was doing quite well, so Kane laboured to produce something that looked like that and the result was the awkwardly drawn Batman which cobbled together swipes from other artists like Alex Raymond. There's also evidence that Sheldon Moldoff helped Kane out on some of those early stories.

Kane, with the assistance of inkers like Robinson and Roussos, eventually developed a style of Batman art that he could pull off more comfortably. Although it always seems to me that Bob Kane was really straining with Batman and it would have been a lot easier for him if he could just do the full-blown cartoon art that was in his comfort zone. Which is no doubt why he was so willing to let other artists ghost the Batman work for him.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 09:53:05 PM »

Kane was smart enough to see Batman as a cash cow. He was willing to let someone else do the work as long as he got the credit and the cash.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.