in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 81 - Superworld Comics #3

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 81 - Superworld Comics #3  (Read 4192 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 81 - Superworld Comics #3
« on: July 22, 2015, 02:24:38 PM »

So last week the group gave Black Cat the thumbs up, but to be honest I was not so keen on it. I hope I enjoy this week's more as the choice is from me!!! SO I'll only have myself to blame. I have just bumped across it and I believe this holds quiet a lot of interest due to the brains behind it.

So with no further ado here is  Superworld Comics #3 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=26570. The story we are concentrating on is the first one The Super-Giants of Jupiter.

ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 81 - Superworld Comics #3
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 05:01:06 AM »

The Super-Giants of Jupiter - Because ordinary giants are so easy to defeat. ;-) Overly simplistic.

Buzz Allen - Another simple tale.

Hip Knox - Any relation to Fort? Kind of dull, only enlivened by Hip saving his life using endangered animals. ;-)

Smart Arty - Dumb.

Detective Crane - Simple

Marvo 1.2 Go + - In the future names will be much more complex than today. How can villains be both super-intelligent and dumb as a brick? Believing that Marvo just accepts Earth is doomed? Not having guards follow? Ignoring what Bud was saying? *shakes head* Not that I want the villains to just shoot the heroes, but, come on, give them some challenges to overcome!

Little Nemo in Dreamland - While the art is usually nice, the writing of Little Nemo usually bores me.

Alibi Alice - Dumb.

Dream of the Mince Pie Fiend - Feels like a knock off of the Dreams of Rarebit Fiend
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 07:55:29 PM »

Read the first story. Apparently genocide by use of bio weapons didn't raise an eyebrow back then.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 09:23:06 PM »

The Mitey Powers story is so stupid it is so much fun. This was written for kids no pretense. They repeat what is going on right after it happens even. Of course they will survive because of Mitey's expertness. Dig that wild coloring when on Mars. I am not good at judging size or distance but the Jovians were just a little shy of a thousand feet tall. Story was a big hit with me
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 03:18:38 AM »

Read the whole story all the way through...kind of fun...the rules hadn't been set in stone yet, so the narration moving the story along was at the  bottom. Love the way you can defeat being seen by just painting things black; you forget radar was still not even a SCI FI idea yet..but they had pretty gnarly big screen t.v.'s!!! My jaded sight could NOT pick out any difference with colours on Mars, narfstar, but what do I know?  By the looks of them, Jovians might as well have come from The Foghorn Leghorn Planet, I guess. And it's like we said a couple of weeks ago with the last giant size villians..."size of Jovians may vary". Meanwhile, let's just fix the hole in the hull, who needs air? Wow. Know what you mean Captain Audio...I thought they might sell them the cure for a peace treaty...but out and out death...geez..
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 03:56:16 AM »

The word that popped into my head when I saw this comic was "anachronism." Hugo Gernsback's magazines never left the 1920s. Even in 1940 this stuff must have seemed old-fashioned. True, other early comics had weak art and dumb pseudo-scientific stories, but reading this mag you get the feeling its creators still thought radio was a wonderful new invention.

If Frank R. Paul didn't draw the Mitey Powers story, whoever did was under his spell. The creature and alien-city designs come from Paul's "Life on Other Worlds" paintings in the pulps. How much do humans know about the Jovians, anyway? Everyone knows they're a thousand feet tall but no one seems actually to have seen one. The ending provides a real  WTF moment. The good guys stop the bad guys by exterminating their entire species??? However I must acknowledge the Professor's cool head in a crisis. When the Jovian says he'll destroy their spaceship the Prof replies, "Well, what do you know about that?"

Some clever kid won ten 1940 dollars by wrapping his handlebars with rubber bands. I can't figure out the stunt with the book. Is it some kind of bookmark or an automatic book opener/closer? Definitely not worth 3 bucks.

Buzz Allen and his pal are jerks. Yet there's something endearing about them using their powers to clown around as well as to fight evil. And the government pays them for saving the world! Here comes "King Phatso" and he's not fat. Casting against type, I guess. Holy cow, they do it again! Buzz kills half the Atlanteans, only one of whom has done anything to him. How does Buzz figure "the young ones" will build a better civilization? How will they even survive after Buzz destroys their heating system? Not only are these boys ageists, they are cold, cold, cold.

Hip Knox--what a terrible name!--has the best artwork so far. Jack Alderman hasn't yet developed his idiosyncratic inking style. Does Hip lose his peculiar mustache until the end of the story? He's always drawn in long shot so I can't tell. Now why would McFadden build the latest type of super rocket-plane then throw it away by using it to shoot Hip into the ocean? They could have just blown Hip up and kept the plane. Yikes! It happens again! This time Hip destroys hundreds of innocent condors. Yet his evil nemesis pays for his crimes by mimicking a seal at Coney Island.

Short features...Smarty Artie is strictly amateur hour. How did Dad come home and sit in his easy chair without noticing his house had been invaded by firemen? More inventions...my dad used that jars-for-nails trick. Can't work up the energy to read the Thoughtwriter story.

Detective Crane looks as if one artist drew the first page and someone else did the rest. Here we are doing radio again. A famous comic trope: the giant Master Switch happens to be within Crane's reach at the critical moment. It reminds me of an Italian comic I read. A guy is trying to save his partner who is trapped in one of those rooms with moving walls. The guy pulls a big switch in the middle of the control panel--and the radio turns on.

Marvo combines annoying pointless captions ("A telling blow!" "Off to see the ruler!"), hopelessly stilted dialogue, and creative spelling ("take a deep breadth"). The art is old-fashioned but competent and the artist seems to have put some work into it. Let's see...in 2680 humanity still hasn't gone into space, but Marvo happens to have a spaceship in his back yard when one is needed. Okay...Oh, no, I can't believe it! Yet another alien-extinction story. Sure, Marvo says the antmen will find "some universe where they're welcome," but he's destroyed their propulsion system and half their other machinery. If Marvo is so brilliant why doesn't he invent a way to balance the antmen's planet against the Earth so both could share the Sun?

Short features again. I've seen some of these tricks but not the alum string or the needle-through-a-coin. Has anyone tried it? How about "Thoughts have weight"? The Little Nemo reprints are nice even when shrunk to comics size. Alibi Alice's bizarre art gives it a modern look; the director looks like a punk rocker with a Mohawk. Bill Holman needn't worry about competition from these visual puns (though I like "a sock in the puss"). I believe "the tortoise and the hare" refers to what used to be called "tortoiseshell" glasses. "Dreams of a Mince Pie Fiend" is "Rarebit Fiend" under a different name, but the balloons don't seem to have been re-lettered. I Googled up a scholarly article claiming "Rarebit" featured stories about both rarebits and mince pies. Did McCay copy his own strip, or did mince pies guest-star in "Rarebit"?

Summing up, the quaintness of this early comic gives it entertainment value despite the disturbing number of mass murders.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 04:08:50 AM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 07:32:24 PM »

I think we have become jaded on one had and overly sensitive on the other. Current video games and World War Z's allow easy acceptance of mass murders. But looking at old comics makes us aware of genocide. As a kid I never would have applied any realism to those extinctions. It would never be anything but a silly comic book story with some story people being eliminated.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 06:36:29 PM »

We have many thousands of books, and not being a "pulp" or "comic book" man I do not profess to know the history or significance of issues or titles. However, I have learnt about Hugo Gernsback via Bob (aka Hoover / Bogoff) and how back in the day he was the king of Sci-Fi pulps. I did not know that he published any comics, let alone we have a couple here. So this was a no-brainer, when it came to making this week's choice.

At first slight this all looks rather primitive, I say that as a fact and certainly not as a criticism. I like primitive comic books! And after finishing the book my thoughts are that Hugo Gernsback certainly tried to give the punter their money's worth. There's a lot of reading in here for a dime! From my basic knowledge some of the science was quite OK other bits rather suspect. IE: Apart from I guess meteorite damage there would be no "speed" reason to make a spacecraft that retracts its wings in space, as there is no drag.   

Some cool dialogue:

The Jovian Giants are pelting the earth-ship with small asteroids....

"It looks as though they don't like us"

Blimey, Hugo's women are certainly made of the "Right Stuff":

"Oh, Mitey. I'm so nervous, I don't know whether it's fear or thrill!"

Later in the book:

"Y'know, Will, with no more heat at Atlantis the old people will die."

"Yes! But don
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 11:26:46 PM »

Black light is ultra-violet light. You usually get lamps in shortwave or longwave (mediumwave is what causes sunburns so they don't produce those ;) ).

There are rock & mineral collectors (i.e. rockhounds) who specialize in collecting and displaying rocks & minerals that show off bright colors under a black light.

There was also a cheap novelty sold as a "black light" when I was a kid that was basically an ordinary light in purple glass, but I don't recall it producing the effects from that ad or causing rocks to show off the bright colors you see under a true ultra-violet light.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.