in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Barnaby

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Barnaby  (Read 3154 times)

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Barnaby
« on: November 15, 2008, 01:22:08 AM »

Just wondering if this one would be allowed in the Classic Newspaper Strips category.  I have the Dover reprint of the first book (which is itself out of print and not easy to find) and would be willing to find the original 40's hardcovers if those were usable as source material but the Dover wasn't for some reason.  Dover tends to focus on PD material so I thought it would be worth asking.
ip icon Logged

kozmo

message icon
Re: Barnaby
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 01:56:34 AM »

I have several volumes of the Del Rey Barnaby reprints, and they do NOT have a copyright notice from Johnson or his family or a syndicate. The books are only copyrighted to Random House (who owned Del Rey).  This would indicate that there was no copyright renewal for the Barnaby strips, but it should be checked against the appropriate databases to be sure.

Plus, you would most likely not be able to just post a page for page scan of the Dover book if there is a copyright notice on the book from Dover. The content may be PD, but that particular packaging of the material can (and often is) copyrighted by the publisher.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 03:18:15 AM »

The only copyright date in the Dover reprints is that of the original book, not the reprint.  Which was 42 and 43, and copyright Crockett Johnson.  Which, unless the book was pre-1971 or post-1990 or so, and assuming it was a legitimate reprint, should put it as PD in both the original and the Dover Edition. (When did the law eliminating a correct copyright statement go into effect?)

With that said, I would be happy to spend the $30 or so to get the original HC and use that as the source material if it would be viewed as safer by the copyright gurus on the site.

I envy you the Del Ray editions; those are not easy to find at all.
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 03:26:22 AM »

I would love to see any and all reprints of Barnaby, Eric or any one.  I owned the Dover book (back in the 60s I'm pretty sure), but it is long gone.  Dover reprinted many public domain things at the time.  I'd be quite surprised if it were not PD.

ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 03:29:52 AM »

I'm not an expert, but it seems like a fairly good chance the two books from the 40's (And the three issues of Barnaby Quarterly) would be allowable.  The catch is they're very rare- Overstreet only lists one issue of the quarterly, for example.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 12:10:37 PM »

None of the books would be PD, the original 2 done by Holt in the 40's were renewed, only the original strips would be considered PD.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 05:42:54 PM »

Rats, I certainly don't have access to the original strips.  Still, it was worth checking.  Thank you!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.