in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Terry and the Pirates

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Terry and the Pirates  (Read 2516 times)

evilfabio

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: evilfabio
message icon
Terry and the Pirates
« on: November 21, 2008, 06:44:56 PM »

My understanding is the first three years of the strip are p.d.  Does anyone know the cut-off date (or month/year)?

(For that matter, does anyone know the story there?  Someone at the newspaper syndicate didn't realize they needed to renew the strips or didn't care to until three years in?)

Thanks.

ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
Re: Terry and the Pirates
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 09:51:36 PM »

I don't have the hard data in front of me (I hate researching strips, personally; there are too many places the owner MIGHT have filed it), but the inconsistency question rarely has a good/interesting answer.  For the most part, comics especially were only considered an ephemeral product to bring people in to see something else (stories, advertising, or whatever) and wouldn't have much interest once they were "out of date."

Since it cost money to file the copyright registration form, and most people would use a lawyer to manage the form, it just wasn't worth the money.  However, once markets opened up for licensing, the publishers or authors usually decided to take some of their earnings and protect what they could.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.