in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Dell 1940s War titles

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Dell 1940s War titles  (Read 3483 times)

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Dell 1940s War titles
« on: November 25, 2008, 11:03:27 PM »

Any info on whether these PD or not, Aussie? I just got a request from one of the guys scanning my comics to send a bunch in the next batch and I don't want to volunteer anything except PD books. The titles are War Comics, War Heroes and War Stories. Thanks.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Dell 1940s War titles
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 03:02:02 AM »

Aussie can confirm but I believe only the licensed titles from Dell are a problem. Their own books have all been OK. It was usually the license holders that had their titles renewed. So all the war books should be OK.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 03:05:12 AM »

Hi Jim,
I did my own search on only found the Atlas War Comics had been renewed and the others are fine but could you please send JCOLAG a Private Message with your question to do a check as well.  I trust him to spot anything I might have missed.
If Aussie sees this I'm sure she will check as well.

Were there any other titles being requested that you wanted us to check for?

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 03:49:33 AM »

Thanks, Yoc,
I was pretty certain that War Comics was okay or else how could Atlas have used the title, eh? No, these were the only ones that I had any questions about. Just want to keep the spirit of the site - which I just noticed has recently reached its terrible twos. Lots of scans in only two years.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 04:31:49 AM »

Thanks Jim.
And may GAC have many more birthdays as well!
:)
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 06:53:59 PM »

If you have the years handy, I can try a more rigorous issue-by-issue search.  However, if they were all published pre-1950 and we trust Ockerbloom's "first renewals" list (I do, for at least a first pass), then they're public domain.

I'm guessing that Atlas went ahead because there's no trademark issue, not because of any copyright details.  Nobody was going to confuse their title with the older series, so it's safe.  As a modern parallel, I doubt even DC would give you more than a tiny bit of trouble if you published a comic titled "Resurrection Man," as long as it doesn't resemble their character.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 09:17:55 PM »

point taken, jcolag,
but YOU have a much more benign view of DC's lawyers than I'll ever have.

Yes, all those Dells were published during WWII.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 11:05:47 PM »

They all look fine to me. :)
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.