in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,806 books
 New: 184 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Art ID

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

topic icon Author Topic: Art ID  (Read 55718 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Art ID
« on: December 31, 2008, 04:55:52 AM »

This ad from GI in Battle #1 looks to be signed below the girl in red. Can anyone ID the art or sig.[img]http://rapidshare.com/files/178352459/GI_In_BGI_In_Battle_no.1_195305_pg24.jpg[img]
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 04:58:54 AM by narfstar »
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Art ID
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 05:32:32 AM »

I can't make out the sig and don't recognize the style, narf.
Sorry.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 06:35:39 AM »

Narf,
Please use ImageShack or Flikr or something to share a single scan.
ImageShack will even give you the links to use.

-Yoc

ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 10:57:14 PM »

Any chance the scanner (Michael?) can post a close-up scan of the signature?

It might help.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 12:42:29 AM »

Using his presented scan it looks as if two esses are involved.

Any chance the scanner (Michael?) can post a close-up scan of the signature?

It might help.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 12:46:55 AM by rez »
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 01:03:54 AM »

You know if you were on CSI or the like you could clarify that instantly with a single click on the computer.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 02:06:39 AM »

I could do that much myself, guys,
What we need to have is a NEW scan at a higher resolution. Remember my discussions about resolution a while back? Well, the posted download jpg is only at about 200 ppi and no matter WHAT enlargement we give that file, it's still only has 200 pixels per inch and upping the resolution in Photoshop won't bring more detail to the original scan. Only someone with access to the original comic (Michael?) can provide us with say a 600 ppi scan of JUST the signature.

Maybe there are two esses, but might lead to Picasso, which isn't too likely. Still, stranger things have happened...

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 05:11:05 AM »

FWIW - I see "AT73530"
This might be just a story id number like Atlas used for helping accounting.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 05:43:00 AM »

heh, ya.
Was just for the sake of conversation.

Cheers
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 04:44:49 PM »

You know if you were on CSI or the like you could clarify that instantly with a single click on the computer.

I think it only works on pictures of reflections off of cars, though.  Narf, could you make another scan, but only as seen off the back bumper of an SUV?

(Or we could take the Miami approach--"clean up the image," see that it provides no useful information, then wait for the next scene, where the culprit will have been inexplicably pulled over at an unrelated traffic stop.)

Oh, and at the original size and only at that size, it looks to me like "SALDSON."  I'm guessing that's not what's actually there, but someone with better knowledge of who worked where might be able to compare it to similar names.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 04:38:42 AM »

I am not the original scanner. I think I have that ad somewhere if I can find it and make a good scan.
I have some other art ID questions/observations. After doing a bunch of work by shop artists for what JVJ calls the Carlson comics I am starting to get a little eye for some things. I believe that it was shop policy/allowance that if someone did pencil and inks they could/should sign their work. If someone else inked their work it was not signed. I may be way off but this is a deduction based on the frequent signatures but not always signed. Examining some of JVJ's cards makes me still feel that this is a possibility.

I have been correct in identifying some artists before looking at JVJ's cards. HC Kiefer and Gerald Altman I am pretty good at and think I could learn some more. Now here is one from the gut. I looked at the cover of Camera 7 and my gut said Witty #2. I looked at Witty #2 and it is by Browner. I looked as some other Browner covers and still think I might be right. Now Jim can punch me in the gut for probably being way off as my guess does not match his at all. It is not signed so it may be inked by someone else.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 05:49:54 AM »

I am not the original scanner. I think I have that ad somewhere if I can find it and make a good scan.

Thanks. If I could see a close up perhaps I'd recognize the name.

I have some other art ID questions/observations. After doing a bunch of work by shop artists for what JVJ calls the Carlson comics I am starting to get a little eye for some things. I believe that it was shop policy/allowance that if someone did pencil and inks they could/should sign their work. If someone else inked their work it was not signed. I may be way off but this is a deduction based on the frequent signatures but not always signed. Examining some of JVJ's cards makes me still feel that this is a possibility.

As for the signing/not signing - it wouldn't surprise me in the least that your observations are correct. The ones that really puzzle me are the "defaced" signatures on some stories. Why sign if your boss is going to erase your signature, or perhaps it only happened at certain companies - i.e. the shop would provide the work and the customer would alter the signatures before sending the stories off to the printer.

I have been correct in identifying some artists before looking at JVJ's cards. HC Kiefer and Gerald Altman I am pretty good at and think I could learn some more. Now here is one from the gut. I looked at the cover of Camera 7 and my gut said Witty #2. I looked at Witty #2 and it is by Browner. I looked as some other Browner covers and still think I might be right. Now Jim can punch me in the gut for probably being way off as my guess does not match his at all. It is not signed so it may be inked by someone else.

I laughed out loud when I read this, narf,
I must have some fearsome reputation somewhere for you to consider one my reactions might be punching you in the gut. I know you're just kidding, but it seems like such an odd thing to say. Why shouldn't I accept your guesses/IDs as valid? I haven't looked at the books since I sent them, so I can't comment on your Browner ID now, but I'll certainly take a look and give you some feedback when the books return. (My guesses and/or IDs should be on the cards, though. What did the Camera 7 cover credit say?)

Peace [really, non-violent, no punching], Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 05:56:52 AM »

Your Camera 7 cover ID looks like Schrotter and Blumm?. My punch in the gut was a poor joke from my saying it was a gut feeling that it made me think of Witty2. Hope to get your books packed up and in the mail tomorrow.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Who is Jeva?
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 01:51:49 AM »

Looking at the scans for Calling All Girls and a couple are signed Jeva. GCD only has a 1960 French Rin Tin Tin with Lino Jeva. Any ideas?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Jeva
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 02:00:00 AM »

Never mind. Found on whose who.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
G. Oleson
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 02:08:08 AM »

From a signed story in Flyboy. Not in GCD or whose who
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
Re: G. Oleson
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 04:12:12 AM »

From a signed story in Flyboy. Not in GCD or whose who

Look up George OlesEn, narf. I think that's the spelling in Flyboy, too.

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 04:46:22 AM »

OK Jim make me look foolish. You would think with a college degree I could read  :P
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 04:54:04 AM »

My apologies, narf.
That certainly wasn't my intent. Sorry.

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Battle Cry 13
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 08:31:07 PM »

I think all but the last story is Hughes. Mortellero and Hughes look a lot alike but I think these are Hughes. Unfortunatly while the early issues were signed the later ones were not. I have been looking through the Battle Cry and I think I can identify Hughes, Mortellero and Flyshman fairly well on the unsigned.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Unknown Standards
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 03:47:03 AM »

ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 04:53:10 AM »

From left to right, top to bottom, ie

1   2

3   4

#1 is Goofy Comics #42, March 1951

#2 is PROBABLY an issue of Happy Rabbit after #42. The Standard Banner display begins with Happy Comics #36 (March 1950) and I have issues 36-40. At this point the title changes to Happy Rabbit for the final eight issues. I have issues 41 and 42 and your coverless book is neither of these.

#3 is Goofy Comics #38, July 1950

#4 is PROBABLY some issue of Goofy Comics - either #40 or between #43 and 48. I have all the other issues after the Standard Banner display begins, also in issue #36 of Goofy Comics.

It IS possible that Happy Rabbit and Goofy Gander appeared in other titles from Standard, so  my guesses are just that. Hope this helps. I got half of them!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 10:48:44 AM »

Thanks Jim that is a help. Two down and a start on the others. The other Goofy is 43 according to the title on the cover. Happy Rabbit should be one of the last two issues as the only ones without a title on the cover and does not fit the others.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 01:08:36 AM by narfstar »
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 11:23:34 PM »

Okay, now it's my turn. Yesterday I was visiting with Bud Plant and he asked me who drew a particular story in Magazine Enterprises The United States Marines #2 from 1944. I thought it was a GREAT piece of comic art - two pieces, actually, since there was a second story in the same issue by the same artist. But I failed. I just don't know. So I'm turning to my "lifeline" here. Here's one page and a link to the six pages of the first story and two pages of the second. HELP!

Here's the full post: http://www.bpib.com/test/oldgood.html

Any suggestions will be seriously evaluated.

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 01:47:35 AM »

My probably way off thoughts. First was that the one panel looked like Alex Raymond which then led to someone else who has done Flash Gordon that being Al McWilliams.  I like doing this and do not mind being told I am way off. My wild guess may put someone on the right track.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.