in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Hello from a newbie wirh request for nurse comics.

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Hello from a newbie wirh request for nurse comics.  (Read 1426 times)

larsfish

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: larsfish
message icon
Hello from a newbie wirh request for nurse comics.
« on: February 11, 2009, 06:54:37 PM »

I began reading comics back in the Silver Age. My favorite genre is superhero with Marvel being where I have most of my experience.

I often use the concept/idea of superheroes for some of the scholarly work that I do: I am an RN and currently a graduate student (MSN) at Gonzaga University. I am currently doing a project on horizontal violence within my profession and for my presentation I would like to use comic book images of nurses to illustrate my points and to simple enhance the visual appeal of my presentation. I was excited to find this site with comics in the public domain. Of course, any nurse related comics I own are still under copyright. As I searched this site I could not find any comics which are nurse related.  None of the Golden-age titles I am aware are listed: Myra North, Cherry Ames, Linda Carter, War Nurses. Am I missing something? Are there titles on the site I am not familiar with or are there issues within titles which are nurse related? BTW, are Atlas titles public domain?

Any help/direction/thoughts anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry Fisher
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Hello from a newbie wirh request for nurse comics.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 07:49:32 PM »

Atlas are not public domain. Pat Parker War Nurse is. She did not have her own title but appeared in Speed Comics which we have here. Charlton had some SA nurses that are not availble here but some are eslewhere. They are probably public domain due to Charlton's lack of proper copyright notice. Nurse Betsy Crane, Three Nurses and Sue and Sally Smith Sky Nurses, and Registered Nurse plus some Doctor comics.

Street and Smith had Lady in White but those would not be public domain.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.