in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 185 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Getting more books from JVJ

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Getting more books from JVJ  (Read 10431 times)

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Getting more books from JVJ
« on: February 13, 2009, 04:46:37 AM »

JVJ is just about to send me a second batch of books to scan.  In addition to getting the last issue of Authentic Police Cases we need, I'm going to get a start on the Jingle Jangles and some more Targets.  (Right now I'm looking at volumes 9 and 10; I'll fill in the middle as we go along.)  I was wondering what else people wanted scanned; if you can name a few books from JVJ's list I'm happy to fill some requests.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Getting more books from JVJ
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 06:07:37 AM »

Be careful what you ask for Eric.
Someone might REALLY hit you with a list!

Picture News (MC Gaines/Lafayette St. Corp.) #1-3 would be my requests.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 06:09:17 AM »

-Yoc

Thanks, Yoc,
but those are pretty much the easy ones. I notice they didn't attempt Atlas, DC or Rural Home. Chickens!

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

Michael Barnes

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 03:59:04 PM »

-Yoc

I'm pretty sure I have Picture News 1-3 but have yet to scan them.  I will bump them up to higher priority if you all want to save some postage. I'll check when I get home this evening to confirm.
~Michael
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 04:10:39 PM »

Sounds great Michael!
Please let us know.

:)
ip icon Logged

Michael Barnes

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 10:54:07 PM »

Yep, confirmed.  I'll put them ahead of some of my other scans because, well, Yoc is the man.  I'm still trying to make my way through the rest of my Fiction House, but I'm still knocking off other scans along the way for other people, or just because the book happens to be sitting in front of me when my brain enters "scan mode."

As for requests, once I get done with the Wings Comics I have, it'd be nice to fill in what we can of that title from the JVJ collection.  I'm hip for any Fiction House, for that matter.

~Michael
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 11:11:51 PM »

If nothing else pops up, I'll fill up on Fiction House and Fox, with possibly a few St. John Romance books for good measure.  But you still have a little time to name books; speak up!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 11:28:12 PM »

I got my Carlton/Rural Home so other than Centaur at the top of my list. I am not picky about anything else it is all good.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 11:41:50 PM »

Ok,
Well if nobody else wants to chime in I'll toss some title names out at you Eric...

Quality - NATIONAL   11,30,50
Fawcett - CAPT. MARVEL JR. #6,10,19,21
Ace - SURE-FIRE #1; early FOUR FAVORITES and SUPER MYSTERY we need.
Chesler - Major Victory #2
Fox - BIG THREE #6; BLUE BEETLE #5,8,11,33; FANTASTIC #17
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 07:15:23 PM »

I already borrowed JVJ's National 11 and 30.  They are scanned but not edited yet for posting.  National 50 is also scanned (as are all issues from 47 to the end of the run).  I didn't realize it was not posted here.  I will do so today and check to see what other issues are needed. National 50 was already on site.

I'd like to suggest the unscanned issued of Ziff Davis' GI Joe.  I believe that's 41 42 46 51 (and if you want to ctc-ize we also need fills on 28 47 49.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 07:24:39 PM by JonTheScanner »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 03:46:05 AM »

Thanks for the update Jon.
Obviously our 'Books Still Needed from JVJ' list is out of date!
ip icon Logged

larrytalbot

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 09:24:02 AM »

"Joe Palooka Visits the Lost City" (1945) a 50-cent adventure novel (not sure, but I think it runs 160 pp.  May be the longest one-story comic ever.

Larrytalbot
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

dhfh

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 06:47:34 PM »

If nothing else pops up, I'll fill up on Fiction House and Fox, with possibly a few St. John Romance books for good measure.  But you still have a little time to name books; speak up!

Hi OtherEric,

If you're still taking votes, I'd like to start by seconding Yoc's Fox title picks (adding EAGLE #4 to the lineup), as well as the GHOST RIDER #2 and  BLUE BOLT v1#9.  I'll also put in a vote for a number of addition issues of BLUE BOLT (Vol. 2 #5-7, #9, #10, #12, Vol. 3 #2-6,# 8-12, Vol. 4 #3, #8 -- these would help to fill in gaps for the Blue Bolt, Twister, and Sub-Zero storylines!) and issues #7-28 of Eastern Color's HEROIC  COMICS.

If it IS too late for you to consider more votes for this batch, these would be my votes for the next!

Happy scanning,

DHFH
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 07:27:21 PM »

Hi, Eric,
They attempted delivery of the books yesterday, but I wasn't here. Drat! Hopefully today (but I have an appointment with an allergist the afternoon, so I might miss them again - DOUBLE Drat!).

Waiting for the new list.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 07:47:04 PM »

Not making suggestions but hopefully I can save the scanners some time:

I have Heroic Comics 28, Target Comics volume 9 # 2, Fantoman 4, 4 Most volume 3 # 3 & volume 6 # 5, and Blue Beetle 44, all of which I plan to scan hopefully within a week depending on how this weekend plays-out.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 09:05:06 PM »

Fantoman first Fantoman first Fantoman first. Oh should I mention I would prefer that Fantoman be your first scan  ::) Not that I am a Centaur fan or anything
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 10:13:01 PM »

The Jingle Jangles of course in case I forgot to mention it.  I took the Planets instead.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 10:14:32 PM »

I'm finalizing my list now; I'll post it here once Jim approves it.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 02:09:00 AM »

bchat, I think I love you....
;)
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 05:27:38 AM »

Fantoman first Fantoman first Fantoman first. Oh should I mention I would prefer that Fantoman be your first scan   Not that I am a Centaur fan or anything

I need to scan 4 more stories from Fantoman 4.  Unfortunately, it wasn't complete so it's missing the complete first and last stories:  one of the Fantom stories and Red Blaze, plus it doesn't have a cover but I'll grab a picture from somewhere.  It does have two complete Fantom stories, one reprinted from "Amazing Mystery Funnies volume 3 number 1", I don't know where the other might be reprinted from if it is a reprint (I'm assuming it is).

I'll make sure Fantoman is the first one I upload, but if I make it the first one I finish scanning, I fear I might put the rest to the side.  I like taking the "save the best for last" approach.  I've had the two "4 Most" books since the end of December and I just keep saying to myself "I'll get to it next week", but I never do.

I'm a big Centaur fan (love the variety of their characters for such a short-lived company) and I'm as happy as can be to actually be able to say "I own this", regardless of the condition it's in.

bchat, I think I love you....

Hey, I'm just trying to do my part to make the world a better place.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 05:31:54 AM »

Hi B,
Here is your Fantoman 4 cover:

(click to see the full size one)

Please do get to those 4Most books someday.  :)

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 08:29:35 AM »

Ok, here's my list for the second batch:

Authentic Police Cases 4

Target Comics
v8: 9-12
v9: 1, 5, 8, 9, 11
v10: 1
(We have bchat doing 9-2; I have a coverless 9-6 and a complete 10-3 to scan.  So this accounts for all issues from 8-9 up except 9-3, 9-10, and 9-12)

Jingle Jangle:
1, 3, 7, 8, 11-16, 18

GI Joe
41 42 46 51

Big Three 6

Blue Beetle
5, 8, 11, 33

Fantastic
17 18 15 21

Eagle 4

Ghost Rider 2

Blue Bolt
v1:9
v2:5- 7, 9, 10, 12

Harvey - CHAMP(ION) #3,4,5,6,7; SPEED v#1,2-4,9

If you need absolutely need something else scanned, ask if JVJ will throw it in.  If I get it, I'll scan it.  But that looks like a nice mix of books; with enough variety that I won't burn out on any one title, but enough depth that we can make some real progress on some series.  Jim, if you need to fill up the box add in some more Jingle Jangles; we need everything from issue 20 up.

(Update:  just spotted a cheap target v9-3 and it's on the way, so that's one more off the need list)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 09:19:41 AM by OtherEric »
ip icon Logged

dhfh

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 04:46:03 PM »

If you need absolutely need something else scanned, ask if JVJ will throw it in.  If I get it, I'll scan it.  But that looks like a nice mix of books; with enough variety that I won't burn out on any one title, but enough depth that we can make some real progress on some series.  Jim, if you need to fill up the box add in some more Jingle Jangles; we need everything from issue 20 up.

(Update:  just spotted a cheap target v9-3 and it's on the way, so that's one more off the need list)

WEIRD COMICS #3!  WEIRD COMICS #3!  WEIRD COMICS #3!  (Hey, it worked with bchat for Fantoman, right?)

But seriously, Weird #3 would COMPLETE the Fox Features' Bird Man and Thor strip runs!  So if JVJ can see his way to "throwing it in"... I'd be happy to share the burden of editing all of these with you, if you need/want.

It is a nice selection you put together there, though, OtherEric, and a special thanks for including EAGLE #4!

Keep up the good scanning work, guys!

DHFH
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 05:47:32 PM »

A great selection - Thanks Eric!
I've even updated the JVJ Wanted List this time.
:)
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 07:37:23 PM »

Yoc, do you have/need a list of what I got from JVJ to update?

Jon
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.