in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

srca1941

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: srca1941  (Read 5958 times)

srca1941

• VIP
message icon
srca1941
« on: February 26, 2009, 08:54:01 PM »

I
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 03:11:21 AM by srca1941 »
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: srca1941
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:13:39 PM »

I know we have Target v3 n12 already, I scanned it in the first batch JVJ sent me.  We do NOT have v2 n8 and I would love to see that!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 09:27:36 PM »

Trying to make things hard on us with one book at a time but I will go with Black Cobra 6. Thanks
ip icon Logged

srca1941

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 10:24:57 PM »

RE: Target vol.3 no.12 I just saw the "Target only" scans. I'm scanning vol.2 no.8 now (but taking a break to go to class), and Black Cobra will follow. Hopefully I can finish and post Target tonight if I'm not too tired when I get home.

-Eric
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 10:35:22 PM »

Cool!  I went ahead and deleted the "target only" version since we have the full issue now; I should have done that back then.  (Also going ahead and adding leading zeros to most issues since we have (or are soon getting) v10 issues.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 10:37:30 PM by OtherEric »
ip icon Logged

dhfh

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 11:52:03 PM »

ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 11:57:21 PM »

I would love to see:

Planet #73 fills.  I've just gotten JVJ's Planets to scan and/or fill, but he didn't have that one.  71 will give us a nice long ctc run.

Red Circle #4 -- Don't know why, but that series is curiously compelling.

Dollman 17, Plasticman 40 because Qualities are always great.

Spirit (IW) #19 and Spirit sections.

ip icon Logged

srca1941

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 12:35:36 AM »

I'll try to get the "fills" (such as Yellowjacket) in as soon as I can. After all, they aren't that many pages. As for Red Circle #4, keep in mind, this issue is 100% different from the previous three. This is using what I believe (based on the titles found in the GCD) to be Fox's Sabu, the Elephant Boy #3, which was never published. It's Red Circle in title alone.

-Eric
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 01:57:12 AM »

Hi Eric,
Well, a LOVELY list of books there!
Might I suggest perhaps doing the 'fills' stuff first?  Easy to do and helps complete partial books or replace fiche.

Silver Streak Comics 5 would be my one only pick.
Fox and Quality books would follow.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

srca1941

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 04:26:12 AM »

Ok, just 14 pages left of Target that I'll get to tomorrow. The rest of the list now looks like this (with scanning some "fill" pages in between books):

Black Cobra #6
Hit Comics #14 (unless you'd rather I did 19 since there is no copy of that issue currently)
Red Circle #4
Silver Streak #5

(And then unless there are more requests, then I'll just keep working down dhfh and Jon's lists.)

Incidently, it's funny that the first two books chosen were Target v2n8 and Black Cobra. I almost relaunched my Golden Years site, and All-Amazing Comics with it, a couple of years ago with the Target story and Black Cobra in the first issue, so I had at least part of those two already scanned. I ultimately decided that with the existance of this site, that All-Amazing wasn't really needed the way it once was, and that my efforts were better directed here.

I haven't given up on All-Amazing, but I have plans to one day turn it into a print project. I started work on it last year, but it's unlikely I could really work on such a thing again until this summer at least.

-Eric
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 04:34:27 AM »

I was lucky to find All-Amazing just before it's last update and grabbed all the 'back issues' before it went under.  From there I was pointed to Bill Nolan's great works and today GAC is proud to host both creators works in someway on the site.
Bill's disks are here in total and Eric has been nice enough to upload c2c versions of many of his books.

Looking forward to all your scans Eric (and I'd do Hit19 first but that's me), take care,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 04:37:53 AM »

Cat-Man
Choice
Our Flag
Major Victory
Speed

If we are past first choice then above would be my next in order with all fiche upgrades done last after all new. But as others have said that is just me.
ip icon Logged

dhfh

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 05:40:00 AM »

Ok, just 14 pages left of Target that I'll get to tomorrow. The rest of the list now looks like this (with scanning some "fill" pages in between books):

Black Cobra #6
Hit Comics #14 (unless you'd rather I did 19 since there is no copy of that issue currently)
Red Circle #4
Silver Streak #5

(And then unless there are more requests, then I'll just keep working down dhfh and Jon's lists.)

Incidently, it's funny that the first two books chosen were Target v2n8 and Black Cobra. I almost relaunched my Golden Years site, and All-Amazing Comics with it, a couple of years ago with the Target story and Black Cobra in the first issue, so I had at least part of those two already scanned. I ultimately decided that with the existance of this site, that All-Amazing wasn't really needed the way it once was, and that my efforts were better directed here.

I haven't given up on All-Amazing, but I have plans to one day turn it into a print project. I started work on it last year, but it's unlikely I could really work on such a thing again until this summer at least.

-Eric

Well, I had been thinking of Hit #14 first, because that one had a damaged page--the splash page for the Neon the Unknown story.

But, if you scanned just that page first (as a replacement "fill" for the damaged fiche page), then you could move on to Hit #19 and do the rest of Hit #14 later when you get to the rest of the fiche replacements.  So that's my vote...I'm for getting some kind of copy of as many of these books up as quickly as possible and getting the better copies on the second pass.  The more the better!

Good night all,

DHFH
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 06:43:14 PM »

I almost relaunched my Golden Years site, and All-Amazing Comics with it, a couple of years ago with the Target story and Black Cobra in the first issue, so I had at least part of those two already scanned. I ultimately decided that with the existance of this site, that All-Amazing wasn't really needed the way it once was, and that my efforts were better directed here.

Just wanted to say that Pure Excitement and your Golden Years were amoung the first websites I visited as I got into Golden Age comics, and I greatly appreciated the work that went into both sites.  As to whether or not such sites could still serve a purpose, sometimes it's nice to read just one story from a comic rather than download a large file.  For example, why download an entire issue of "Blue Bolt" when all someone might want to read is the Sub-Zero story?  Just think of all the blogs on the net that take files from here and post single stories.  The only difference between blogs and what you did was that your site is better organized.

I'ld like to see Veri Best Sure Fire Comics 1 scanned when you get the chance.
ip icon Logged

srca1941

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 02:43:55 AM »

OK, Target Comics vol.2 no.8 is done. The list now looks like this:

Black Cobra #6
Hit Comics #19
Red Circle #4
Silver Streak #5
Cat-Man Comics #15
Veri Best Sure Fire Comics #1

Also, Hit #14 has been given it's temp. fix. I'll look at what other "fills" need filling tomorrow, and will try to start taking care of the ones that need story pages asap.

-Eric
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 03:10:16 AM by srca1941 »
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 07:51:25 AM »

The Target, as you have it, is too big for the site at 130M.  If you don't mind, I can drop the images to about half their current size and repost at the smaller resolution.
ip icon Logged

srca1941

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 01:48:17 PM »

No, I'll reduce them myself. It's strange though. I didn't do these any differently than any of my other scans; 300dpi JPGs with 75% compression...

-Eric
ip icon Logged

srca1941

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 02:08:37 PM »

After looking at one of my previous uploads, I see what happened now. I forgot that when posting here I have to reduce to 150dpi! I knew when I did the book that it seemed like there was a step I was forgetting.

Well, Photoshop's acting goofy, and it looks like I need to restart the computer, so I guess I won't be able to repost until this afternoon after I get back from church.

-Eric
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 02:38:34 PM by srca1941 »
ip icon Logged

dhfh

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 06:25:56 PM »

Just wanted to say that Pure Excitement and your Golden Years were amoung the first websites I visited as I got into Golden Age comics, and I greatly appreciated the work that went into both sites.  As to whether or not such sites could still serve a purpose, sometimes it's nice to read just one story from a comic rather than download a large file.  For example, why download an entire issue of "Blue Bolt" when all someone might want to read is the Sub-Zero story?  Just think of all the blogs on the net that take files from here and post single stories.  The only difference between blogs and what you did was that your site is better organized.

When bhcat posted this, I thought he took the words right out of my mouth.  I had a very similar experience.  It wasn't until this morning that I thought I should make sure to say:

What he said!

Thanks for those first looks at some of this great stuff.  And by the way, since the sites are still up, do you still have control over them?

DHFH
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 06:36:01 AM »

Woops, I almost added the Target book as is!
Shrinking the page size to 1500 pixels high also results on a more manageable size Eric.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

BountyHunter

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 07:45:57 PM »

Please, please, PLEAAASE scan any of those Big Shots Comics that aren't on the site already.  I needs me some more Skyman.
ip icon Logged

bbmason

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 10:43:47 PM »

I would like to see the rest of the Punch issues.  Even the Fiche would be a good way to finish the run.
ip icon Logged

krankyboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 11:33:20 PM »

There are so many books from your initial list that I would kill to read (well, maybe not kill -- but you understand). If I had to pick five or six titles at the top of the list, it would have to be the following:

Black Cobra 6
Blue Beetle 35
Exciting Comics 17, 49
Prize Comics 20, 45, 49, 57
Weird Comics 15, 19
Wow Comics 5, 6

;D
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.