in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 181 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Peter Wheat

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

topic icon Author Topic: Peter Wheat  (Read 42989 times)

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Peter Wheat
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2009, 07:06:52 PM »

Hi Eric,
Funny thing.  I was just watching 'American Splendor' (2003) and at the 13min mark of the film where Pekar is meeting with Robert Crumb - Crumb mentions Peter Wheat and Walt Kelly!  :)

Just a fun coincidence eh?

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2009, 08:04:10 PM »

Narf, is there any chance that the GCD entry on Peter Wheat News can be updated, at least to issue #61?  That would be April of 1953.  We have good reason to think the title went longer- perhaps quite a bit longer- but as far as I know we have no sure info on HOW far. I've had 66 independently suggested to me, and the Who's Who entry for Del Connell suggest at least 3 more years.

Oh, and an addition to the giveaway list:  There was a Peter Wheat Circus that may have featured Walt Kelly art.  A copy is on eBay right now, but as near as I can tell it's incomplete so I'm not bidding any higher than I already have.  There's also another copy of the coloring book, going for under 10 dollars so far.  But one page is colored in already.  I suspect I may have dropped the value on that book when I scanned it and we showed it was redrawn from Kelly rather than original.  ;D

The seller of the 61 generously provided better scans of the issue than in his original listing, I'll post that in a few days.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2009, 12:06:25 AM »

Your wish is my command. Updated to 61 and can be updated further in the future if needed. Thanks for these
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2009, 08:24:45 AM »

What was purported to be original color guides for an issue of Peter Wheat hit eBay earlier this week.  I have no doubt they're authentic as far as they go, but they're from the Eclipse reprint of issue 9 in Walt Kelly's Springtime Tales.  (If nothing else, the incorrect coloring of Beetle ID's this.)  Mostly mentioning this as a note to myself, and as an excuse to remind people that I would love to know if you ever see issues that aren't posted here for sale.  I would pay over guide but I can't find issues, period.

It's also vaguely interesting as a case of misidentification; I haven't contacted the seller but unless you had seen both the original and the reprint (or at least other original issues) I don't know how you would know where they were from.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2009, 12:17:36 PM »

If the seller does not change it be sure to notify ebay so no one pays over for it.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2009, 07:52:12 PM »

Sorry to bug everybody, but I wanted to remind people to let me know if you EVER see an issue of Peter Wheat for sale somewhere.  I just missed two of the Hubbard issues on eBay; they went for close to $60 for the pair despite being ""As IS". worn, some torn, but I believe they are not missing any pages."  So that's at least 2-3 times guide; I honestly thought my original bid was generously high for Connell/ Hubbard issues.  I hope the buyer isn't too disappointed.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2009, 05:58:45 AM »

Since I've turned this into my "Peter Wheat" information thread, as well as a request page:

The Peter Wheat 4-in-1 fun pack ran to at least vol. 4 in 1954.  From the two pages of #4 posted in the eBay listing #4 has an edited reprint of Adventures 9 (by Kelly) along the top of the pages and other art by Hubbard.  (I can tell it's 9 since that's one of the two issues Eclipse reprinted.)

The good news is I saw it first; with any luck scans will be showing up fairly soon.  ;D
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2009, 06:23:28 PM »

Great detective work Eric!
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2009, 08:58:00 AM »

Yet another note for myself, since I found a small cover and small interior page scan in my latest poke around the internet:

The story in Peter Wheat 26 appears to have run from 24-27; based on the cover of 25 apparently continuing from the previous issue.  Page 12 of the coloring book was taken from a full page splash in issue 25, as well.

I know I've said this before, but let me know if you find any Peter Wheat issues for sale or have any you can scan.  In particular I want to find 24, 25, and 27; it may be the longest comic book story Kelly ever drew.  At 64 pages, it's one of the longest stories from the era I've every heard of, and at least based on the one issue we have it looks stunning.  I know Monster Society was longer; but not much else comes to mind.  Book length features were normally less than a full 64 (or 62 if you remove the half-page ads) pages.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2009, 03:22:31 AM »

Another item for the "known promo items" list: Character prints, from 1948, measuring 7x9.  There were at least two, with Peter Wheat and Sammy Sweet.  Full color picture on front, character bios (in first person) on back.  I have small pictures of both of them, front and back- not enough to post but good enough that I can read the text when I finally break down and write my article on Peter Wheat one of these years soon.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2009, 04:24:44 AM »

Looking forward to reading that article Eric!
:)
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2009, 08:44:35 PM »

And yet ANOTHER addition to the known promo items list:  A plastic bank in the shape of a bread truck, featuring (much reduced and low quality) what I'm pretty sure is a Kelly-drawn logo on the side.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2009, 11:11:48 PM »

Time to change your nick from Other Eric to the one and only Peter Wheat. You are the PW man
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2009, 01:28:39 AM »

Heh.  It's a series that deserves a lot more attention than it's gotten in the past; even some of the really hardcore Kelly fans don't seem to know much about it beyond what I've posted.  Call it a rare case of finding a project that a) Needs research, b) Deserves research, and c) I can afford when it shows up, at least occasionally.

I'm seriously debating taking out a 1/4 page ad in Alter Ego offering to buy copies- or, in the case of News, even paying for scans.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2009, 04:13:45 AM »

Hey I love the passion behind it
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2009, 01:05:18 PM »

Hey I love the passion behind it

Even though I'm not particularly big on Kelly, I also appreciate seeing the progress into an obscure area.  So don't think your posts here are unappreciated just because the rest of us don't have anything to contribute.
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2009, 09:16:24 PM »

Heh.  It's a series that deserves a lot more attention than it's gotten in the past; even some of the really hardcore Kelly fans don't seem to know much about it beyond what I've posted.  Call it a rare case of finding a project that a) Needs research, b) Deserves research, and c) I can afford when it shows up, at least occasionally.

I'm seriously debating taking out a 1/4 page ad in Alter Ego offering to buy copies- or, in the case of News, even paying for scans.

Eric, I'd suggest you get in touch with Steve Thompson (I hope that's right) who used to (maybe still does) publish Fort Mudge Most and see what other info they have about Peter Wheat and perhaps contacts his contacts about it to collaborate.  I'll give you more contact info later, if you don't already have it.  I'm at my office right now and am writing this because I kept meaning to and kept forgetting when I was home and had the info.  Maybe this way, you'll remind me if you need it.
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2009, 09:40:58 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-PETER-WHEAT-BREAD-PREMIUM-FUN-BOOK_W0QQitemZ290369928785QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439b657e51

"REALLY COOL BREAD PREMIUM BOOKLET FROM PETER WHEAT WHITE BREAD, 1952. THE "PETER WHEAT FUN BOOK" IS LARGE COMIC BOOK SIZED AND HAS LOTS OF STORIES AND GAMES INSIDE. THE BOOK HAS EDGE TEARS, MINOR STAINING AND YELLOWING OF PAGES.I WILL COMBINE SHIPPING ON MULTIPLE PURCHASES"

Not sure if you saw this or not, but I figured I'ld mention it.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2009, 12:24:34 AM »

Kelly art, even if it was just food on the table work for him. is ALWAYS a joy to behold.
Thanks for all your hard work on this obscure title Eric!
:)
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2009, 06:12:35 AM »

bchat, I appreciate the heads up.  I'm the lone bidder on that so far; the reason two bids show is I jumped my first bid.  :)

Jon, I will try that soon.  If nothing else, I need to order the issue of the Most with the Peter Wheat articles; and I think I've gotten some meaningful research done into the title. 

Everybody else, thanks for your support.  I'll keep working at it; now that we have the Dell Scribbly and Animal Comics complete it's my major personal project.
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2009, 04:37:22 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Krug-market-Peter-Wheat-premium-comic-53-walt-kelly-art_W0QQitemZ400087981942QQcategoryZ67QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D10%26ps%3D63

Adventures of Peter Wheat # 53 ("Krug market Peter Wheat premium comic 53 walt kelly art").  Not sure if you saw it or what you're willing to pay for any given issue, but I thought I mention it.  I've also seen some bread wrappers currently available on eBay, one of which had some "cartoon" artwork.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2009, 06:48:21 PM »

I did grab the 53, bchat.  I missed the 56 and 62 the seller also posted, sadly.  And I did bid on one of the wrappers; not sure what the hell I'll do with it if I win other than use it as a source for photos for my eventual article but what the heck.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2009, 07:05:11 AM »

And this one just popped up on eBay as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adventures-of-Peter-Wheat-Comic-Book-52-Mermaid-Cover_W0QQitemZ310186111714

The thing is, I'm 99.5% sure it's NOT 52- I've got thumbnails of 51-57 from an auction lot; and none of them match even if I can't make out the numbers on them.  More to the point, does this one look like Kelly more than Hubbard to anybody else?  I can't be quite sure, with the small scan, but it looks possible.  I also haven't seen any multipart Hubbard issues before, for that matter.

I'm still bidding on it, no worries.  I'm just trying to decide how high to go.  And why does it always hit it waves?
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2009, 11:00:53 PM »

It does sorta have a Kelly feel but the pic is pretty small even when using the enlarge feature.
GL on the auction Eric!
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2009, 08:51:40 AM »

After looking at the mermaid cover closer, I suspect it's actually an early Hubbard issue.  Based on the couple of covers in the 36-41 range I've seen it looks like Hubbard was more closely following Kelly's style before going off on his own.

I also won one of the wrappers that was up for sale; I didn't bother with the other one since it had much less interesting art and it didn't look like I was missing much that wasn't in the photo.  Even by my eclectic standards I wonder what the hell I'm going to do with it when I get it.  :P  I know WHY I want it; it has rare Kelly art and will be a source of pictures eventually.  But even for me it's just WEIRD.  ;D
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.