in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Romantic Hearts 002 has the wrong file extension

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Romantic Hearts 002 has the wrong file extension  (Read 3270 times)

Corinne

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Corinne
message icon
Romantic Hearts 002 has the wrong file extension
« on: April 17, 2009, 07:49:11 PM »

The file extension for Romantic Hearts 002 (incomplete) is .cbr, although it is actually a .cbz file (.zip format). It will not open "as is," but works fine when the file is renamed.

The same thing is true for Teen-Age Romances 017

and Teen-Age Romances 028

and Brides in Love 006

and Just Married 010.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 10:11:33 PM by Corinne »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Romantic Hearts 002 has the wrong file extension
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 11:02:41 PM »

Might be something wrong with your reader work fine for me.
ip icon Logged

Corinne

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 01:20:24 AM »

OK--perhaps it is because I am using Linux or it could be my application. In any case, it seems to expect the file extension to represent the actual file structure rather than just be close. Since no one else seems to be affected, I will not mention such discrepancies any further. :)
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 03:35:41 AM »

Good to know that about Linux Corinne.  On Windows using CDisplay it doesn't seem to care which combination of zip,rar,cbr,cbz is used.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 01:52:28 PM »

Corinne, are you using Comix?  I seem to recall having a similar issue.  It's not Linux--the system actually has its own way of figuring out file type.  It's that the programmer apparently comes from a Windows world and uses the extension to guess.

If you're a command-line person, something you can do on download is run the "file" command against everything.  For example

file Teen_Age_Romances_028.cbz

The response will be something like "ZIP Archive, version 2," which'll tell you whether it should be renamed to CBZ (if it's a ZIP) or CBR (if it's a RAR).
ip icon Logged

Corinne

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 01:37:11 AM »

Thank you, Yoc, I am doing my best.

Jcolag, I am using Okular to display the comics and unrar, gzip, bzip2, unzip, and zip (a Linux version of pkzip) are installed as helper applications. Okular uses the one it pleases to open the archives (in a manner similar to the way Firefox uses Add-ons to enhance its capabilities), so I do not know what is being used at any given time, although unrar is almost certainly being used for the .rar files. Also, thank you for mentioning the file command.

In an effort to see what is going on, I booted into a different version of Linux today (I am running Fedora 10 now instead of openSUSE 11.1) and each file could be opened in Fedora regardless of whether the file extension was .cbz or .cbr
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 01:08:41 PM »

Hm.  Okular seems like a nice little gadget.  I'll have to keep that in mind.  (Now I'm curious as to why different systems identify the archives differently; that's a serious downside to being a software guy...)

Anyway, if you want to be really clever about getting the file extensions right, you can probably also add the "basename" command into the mix.  I've been away from UNIX and Linux long enough that I can't assemble it off the top of my head, but you can probably build a quick alias to rename the file conditionally, based on the file type.

Or I might not have gotten enough sleep last night, and I'm just rambling.  Yeah, let's go with that.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.